Info Favorites Register Log in
myArmoury.com Discussion Forums

Forum index Memberlist Usergroups Spotlight Topics Search
Forum Index > Historical Arms Talk > "1831 Pattern Scottish Broadswords" Reply to topic
This is a standard topic  
Lin Robinson

Reading list: 6 books

PostPosted: Sat 24 Apr, 2010 3:32 pm    Post subject: "1831 Pattern Scottish Broadswords"         Reply with quote

I regularly see references to the "1831 Pattern Broadsword" in advertisements for replica basket hilts. I have searched through my reference material on the subject, and I have a few books in my library about swords. I have not come across an 1831 Pattern Broadsword in them. Is this a case of someone making an descriptive error which has been picked up by a lot of other folks and been perpetuated; or is there an 1831 Pattern Broadsword that I simply have not seen?
Lin Robinson

"The best thing in life is to crush your enemies, see them driven before you and hear the lamentation of their women." Conan the Barbarian, 1982
Jonathan Hopkins

PostPosted: Sat 24 Apr, 2010 6:29 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

According to Harvey Withers (British Military Swords, 2003);

Quote:
The dates of 1828 and 1831 are frequently used to describe the year of introduction for the Highland Infantry Officer's Basket-hilted Broadsword. We also find 1865 and 1868 mentioned. This series of dates is very confusing to the collector but it is basically describing the same pattern of sword i.e. the 1828 Pattern, but with minor on-going changes, mainly of a scabbard or regimental nature. The year 1828 actually refers to a circular sent to highland regiments announcing the new pattern of sword which, I assume, the 1831 Dress Regulations, confirmed in more formal terms.
Jack W. Englund

PostPosted: Sat 24 Apr, 2010 9:06 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

In Harvey J. S. Withers' Book "The Scottish Sword 1600 - 1945", He has 55 pages of discussion & colored photos of the 1828 Pattern,Highland Inf. Officer's Basket- hilted Broadsword. & the changes in the hilt as time went on.

Puffer
Lin Robinson

PostPosted: Sun 25 Apr, 2010 5:26 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Jonathan Hopkins wrote:
According to Harvey Withers (British Military Swords, 2003);

Quote:
The dates of 1828 and 1831 are frequently used to describe the year of introduction for the Highland Infantry Officer's Basket-hilted Broadsword. We also find 1865 and 1868 mentioned. This series of dates is very confusing to the collector but it is basically describing the same pattern of sword i.e. the 1828 Pattern, but with minor on-going changes, mainly of a scabbard or regimental nature. The year 1828 actually refers to a circular sent to highland regiments announcing the new pattern of sword which, I assume, the 1831 Dress Regulations, confirmed in more formal terms.

Ah Ha....now I understand why there is confusion. I think I will stick to calling it the 1828 pattern....

Thanks...

Lin Robinson

"The best thing in life is to crush your enemies, see them driven before you and hear the lamentation of their women." Conan the Barbarian, 1982

Forum Index > Historical Arms Talk > "1831 Pattern Scottish Broadswords"
Page 1 of 1 Reply to topic