Info Favorites Register Log in
myArmoury.com Discussion Forums

Forum index Memberlist Usergroups Spotlight Topics Search
Forum Index > Makers and Manufacturers Talk > Albion Scabbards Reply to topic
This is a standard topic Go to page 1, 2  Next 
Markus Haider

Spotlight topics: 1

Feedback score: None
PostPosted: Mon 08 Sep, 2003 10:20 am    Post subject: Albion Scabbards         Reply with quote

Now that Kevin Iseli has joined your team, can we expect to see some pictures of the Campaign-scabbards promised on Netswords? Wink
Eric McHugh
Industry Professional

PostPosted: Sun 14 Sep, 2003 6:40 am    Post subject: Campaign Scabbards         Reply with quote

Hi Markus,

Sorry for the slow response. We have been a little busy at Albion. Peter will be arriving Monday, and we are all scrambling to make sure we're ready.

Kevin is doing a great job. His skill as a jeweler and leathersmith really shine through (his boar's eyes are much nicer than mine). He has quickly caught on to the subtle aspects of shaping a good wood core. So, I have no doubt that he will only continue to grow as an artist.

Kevin and I have several campaign line scabbards that we are working on this week. We did one last week but it was more of a "custom" campaign scabbard. In other words, it was not indicative of what the basic line will look like, so I didn't photograph it. We will, however, get a pic up this week.

Best,

Eric

Find me on Facebook, or check out my blog. Contact me at eric@crownforge.net or ericmycue374@comcast.net if you want to talk about a commission or discuss an available piece.
Eric McHugh
Industry Professional

PostPosted: Fri 26 Sep, 2003 8:09 am    Post subject: Here are the pix         Reply with quote

Sorry we were a little slower than expected but here are some pix of the Campaign Line scabbards and a link to our site:

Campaign Scabbard Page

If you have any questions, Kevin, Mike, or I would be happy to help.

Find me on Facebook, or check out my blog. Contact me at eric@crownforge.net or ericmycue374@comcast.net if you want to talk about a commission or discuss an available piece.
Markus Haider

PostPosted: Fri 26 Sep, 2003 9:31 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Thank you very much Happy
It looks very nice!
Geoff Freeman

Reading list: 3 books

PostPosted: Fri 26 Sep, 2003 10:45 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Hey Eric! I have a question for you: Could you guys make a campaign scabbard for an existing sword, but not an Albion Mark one? Or would that fall into the custom scabbard category? Thanks!
Geoffrey C. Freeman
Durendal Fencing Club
Kevin Iseli
Industry Professional

PostPosted: Fri 26 Sep, 2003 11:52 am    Post subject: campaign line scabbards         Reply with quote

Hi Geoff,

We can make campaign line scabbards for existing non-Albion mark blades. The core will be custom fit. The rest of the exterior will be the same as the photos that Eric posted. Call or E-mail Mike for a price quote.

Thanks

--Kevin Iseli
Elvenarts scabbard shop
Brian M

PostPosted: Thu 02 Oct, 2003 10:15 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Hello Mr. McHugh,
My name is Brian, and I just ordered a nex-gen Gaddhjalt. I am considering whether or not to add a scabbard to the order or have it made by CF, AE, or Triton. I'd like to ask some questions which I hope are not too ignorant.
--On the campaign scabbard shown above, how is the scabbard suspended from the belt? Loops on the ends of the belt? I don't see any fittings.
--I'm thinking of a period integral scabbard/belt. Would that fall into your "$500 Custom" price range?
--I was told about a month for the sword; how much time would a scabbard take after the sword is completed?

Thanks for your input,
Brian M
Eric McHugh
Industry Professional

PostPosted: Thu 02 Oct, 2003 10:57 am    Post subject: thanks for the interest...         Reply with quote

Hi Brian,

Thanks for the interest in our scabbards. I am in Sweden right now on a research trip. So, please forgive me if my typing is not that great [swedish keyboard].

Kevin is our new scabbard maker. He does outstanding work. As the former scabbard maker at Albion, I will say that Kevin will continue to carry on Albion's standard for custom scabbard work. In addition, Peter Johnsson thinks very highly of his work too.

So, yes, we can make the scabbard that Patrick has for Big Johnsson. It will not be exact since my friend Peter made that scabbard, and my friend Patrick now owns it. Kevin can make a scabbard that is in the same spirit and very similar construction as that scabbard. There is a good reason our scabbards cost 500 dollars and up. Everything on our custom scabbards are hand made. We chisel and shape the core to the exact blade. The core follows the profile of the blade and it has distal taper to match the taper of the blade. The leather is hand dyed and sewn into place by hand. The belt fittings and chape are all hand forged and are based off of actual examples found on scabbards in Europe. The belt is attached in a manner that is consistent with the way the medieval craftsmen would have done. This take a lot of skill and patience and unfortunately cost.

On the other hand, if you can allow some compromises, the campaign line is a good alternative. It has some of the same features but some machine made elements go into it. It does not come with a belt, but a traditional belt can be placed on the scabbard for an additional charge.

Please feel free to call Mike a Albion for pricing and options. I promise you that we will not disappoint. When it comes to our scabbards, we do our best to meet the needs of the customer.

Last edited by Eric McHugh on Fri 03 Oct, 2003 12:26 am; edited 1 time in total
Brian M

PostPosted: Thu 02 Oct, 2003 1:19 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Thanks for the reply. It sounds like the best solution (in my price range!) is the campaign scabbard modified with the addition of a belt. I will call up and discuss details and price with Mike as you suggest. I've also sent e-mails to CF and AE, so I should be making a decision shortly.

Cheers,
Brian M
Christian Fletcher
Industry Professional

PostPosted: Thu 02 Oct, 2003 2:55 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Here's a photo of my integral belt arrangement.

Attachment: 5.98 KB
IntegralBelt.JPG

Christian Fletcher
www.christianfletcher.com
Patrick Kelly

Reading list: 42 books

Spotlight topics: 2

Feedback score: 100%
(6 total ▮ 100% positive)
PostPosted: Thu 02 Oct, 2003 5:49 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Christian Fletcher wrote:
Here's a photo of my integral belt arrangement.

That's a great looking assembly Christian. I especially like the effect that the fuller in the scabbard provides. These integral belt/scabbard kits are my favorites.
Christian Fletcher
Industry Professional

PostPosted: Thu 02 Oct, 2003 7:09 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Yeah, looking at the work Peter Johnsson did on your integral suspension was another voyage of discovery. Not a single rivet or stitch involved (if I recall correctly). And all those loops within loops, holding everything down....
Christian Fletcher
Brian M

PostPosted: Thu 02 Oct, 2003 11:15 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Hello, Mr. Fletcher! May I ask how much that kit goes for, and what your waiting list is like? Mike at Albion said he was estimating 3-4+ weeks for the sword, and he was of course willing to ship directly to a scabbard maker.

Regards,
Brian M
Christian Fletcher
Industry Professional

PostPosted: Fri 03 Oct, 2003 7:11 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

That's a slightly customized historical scabbard in the photo: $275. The integral suspension adds $95 to that. The wait for this work would be about four or five weeks.
Christian Fletcher
Brian M

PostPosted: Fri 03 Oct, 2003 9:01 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Could the integral belt ($95) be added to your "Basic" ($150) scabbard? Or does the work involved in adding the belt make the scabbard a "Historical" piece @ $250?
I wouldn't necessarily want extras like the fuller mirrored on the scabbard. A simple iron chape is all I really want.

Regards,
Brian M
Christian Fletcher
Industry Professional

PostPosted: Fri 03 Oct, 2003 9:43 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Sure, modifications to the scabbard or your choice are included in that belt price.
Christian Fletcher
Nathan Robinson
myArmoury Admin

myArmoury Admin

Reading list: 327 books

Spotlight topics: 32

Feedback score: 100%
(12 total ▮ 100% positive)
PostPosted: Mon 06 Oct, 2003 7:05 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Here's some more images of an Albion campaign scabbard that I was able to grab:

.:. Visit my Collection Gallery :: View my Reading List :: View my Wish List :: See Pages I Like :: Find me on Facebook .:.
Jason Dingledine

PostPosted: Mon 06 Oct, 2003 8:18 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Nathan Robinson wrote:
Here's some more images of an Albion campaign scabbard that I was able to grab:

The scabbard is one that Kevin put together for a Rouen while Nathan was visiting.

Jason Dingledine
Geoff Freeman

Reading list: 3 books

PostPosted: Tue 07 Oct, 2003 6:06 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Jason Dingledine wrote:

The scabbard is one that Kevin put together for a Rouen while Nathan was visiting.

I assume that for the hollow-ground scabbards, the inside of the scabbard is shaped to the blade's hollow-ground shape?

Till later,

Geoffrey C. Freeman
Durendal Fencing Club
Harlan Hastings
Industry Professional

PostPosted: Tue 07 Oct, 2003 6:56 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Geoff Freeman wrote:

I assume that for the hollow-ground scabbards, the inside of the scabbard is shaped to the blade's hollow-ground shape?

Till later,

I'm guessing (and folks from Albion please correct me if I'm wrong) but the Campaign line would probably not be shaped to fit the hollow grinding of a blade. This would need to be done by hand and would immediately price it out of the range the Campaign line is meant to fit. I would think that by keeping the clearances of the ridges and the edges close, the scabbard would fit well without needing to match the hollow grinding profile.

Harlan

Forum Index > Makers and Manufacturers Talk > Albion Scabbards
Page 1 of 2 Reply to topic
Go to page 1, 2  Next All times are GMT - 8 Hours

View previous topic :: View next topic
Jump to: