Info Favorites Register Log in
myArmoury.com Discussion Forums

Forum index Memberlist Usergroups Spotlight Topics Search

myArmoury.com is now completely member-supported. Please contribute to our efforts with a donation. Your donations will go towards updating our site, modernizing it, and keeping it viable long-term.
Last 10 Donors: Daniel Sullivan, Anonymous, Chad Arnow, Jonathan Dean, M. Oroszlany, Sam Arwas, Barry C. Hutchins, Dan Kary, Oskar Gessler, Dave Tonge (View All Donors)

Forum Index > Off-topic Talk > Something I didn't know about paypal Reply to topic
This is a standard topic  
Russ Ellis
Industry Professional

Reading list: 42 books

PostPosted: Mon 19 Apr, 2010 7:21 am    Post subject: Something I didn't know about paypal         Reply with quote

I did not know this (and fortunately did not find out the hard way) that paypal takes a dim view of someone charging an extra fee for paypal's services. I can't count the number of times that I've seen someone tacking on an extra 3-4% to a sale here if someone uses paypal to make the payment. It turns out that this may get your paypal account frozen if the deal goes bad and the buyer complains. At least that's how I read it:

Quote:
Sellers may not charge a surcharge for accepting PayPal as a payment method.

https://cms.paypal.com/us/cgi-bin/?&cmd=_render-content&content_ID=ua/UserAgreement_full&locale.x=en_US

TRITONWORKS Custom Scabbards
Todd M. Sullivan

PostPosted: Mon 19 Apr, 2010 9:27 am    Post subject: Re: Something I didn't know about paypal         Reply with quote

Russ Ellis wrote:
I did not know this (and fortunately did not find out the hard way) that paypal takes a dim view of someone charging an extra fee for paypal's services. I can't count the number of times that I've seen someone tacking on an extra 3-4% to a sale here if someone uses paypal to make the payment. It turns out that this may get your paypal account frozen if the deal goes bad and the buyer complains. At least that's how I read it:

Quote:
Sellers may not charge a surcharge for accepting PayPal as a payment method.

https://cms.paypal.com/us/cgi-bin/?&cmd=_render-content&content_ID=ua/UserAgreement_full&locale.x=en_US

Yes this is very true. Most use paypal to pay the tuition fee to the HEMA event I host and I lose money to paypal that would be better served going towards food, lodging etc. Nothing is free Happy
Michael Edelson

Spotlight topics: 2

PostPosted: Mon 19 Apr, 2010 9:41 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

The solution is simple. Figure out what you want to charge. Say 1000 dollars. Now add 3%, making it 1030 dollars.

Now sell your product for 1030 dollars, with no mention of a paypal fee. If someone wants to haggle and says, "How about 900 dollars?" And that sounds good to you but you don't want to eat the paypal fee, say, "Well, how about 927 dollars? No need to pay 3% for paypal!"

Happy

New York Historical Fencing Association
www.newyorklongsword.com

Byakkokan Dojo
http://newyorkbattodo.com/
Craig Shackleton

PostPosted: Mon 19 Apr, 2010 10:21 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

I agree with Michael. I'm always somewhat bemused by people who ask for the 3%, especially those who prefer or only take paypal. Just work it into the price in the first place, and then if you get a non-paypal payment, think of it as a bonus!

I also suspect though that Paypal only really cares if you try and charge the extra on ebay transactions. Just my speculation, don't quote me on that.

Ottawa Swordplay
Gregory J. Liebau

PostPosted: Mon 19 Apr, 2010 1:30 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Seconded what's mentioned above. I'm decent at sneaking the amount into my S/H charges figured roughly on the value of the item I'm selling, be it through forum advertisement or on Ebay. There are many ways to make this problem go away and keep your money for yourself, even if someone else is paying a bit more for the product! Surprised

-Gregory

My Flickr Galleries - Travel, Nature & Things
J.T. Aliaga

Reading list: 4 books

PostPosted: Mon 19 Apr, 2010 6:31 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

You're not charging a fee for using Paypal; It's a discount for not paying with Paypal. Big Grin

I see this all the time at gun shows. The vendors always have a 3-5% discount if you pay with cash or check.
Lin Robinson

Reading list: 6 books

PostPosted: Tue 20 Apr, 2010 3:30 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

J.T. Aliaga wrote:
You're not charging a fee for using Paypal; It's a discount for not paying with Paypal. Big Grin

I see this all the time at gun shows. The vendors always have a 3-5% discount if you pay with cash or check.

That is exactly how it should be handled. Credit Card Merchant Services providers have the same clause in their agreements and they specifically allow discounts for cash but not adding the discount back to the cost of merchandise at the time of sale. And yet, I still see merchants - and some at gun shows are the biggest offenders - who add the discount back to the sale any way. Makes me want to tell on them. A merchant can actually lose his ability to take cards by doing that, but mostly all they get is a slap on the wrist, at least the first time.

Lin Robinson

"The best thing in life is to crush your enemies, see them driven before you and hear the lamentation of their women." Conan the Barbarian, 1982

Forum Index > Off-topic Talk > Something I didn't know about paypal
Page 1 of 1 Reply to topic