Info Favorites Register Log in
myArmoury.com Discussion Forums

Forum index Memberlist Usergroups Spotlight Topics Search
Forum Index > Makers and Manufacturers Talk > Another double fuller La Tene III Reply to topic
This is a standard topic  
Shane Allee
Industry Professional

Feedback score: None
PostPosted: Sun 14 Mar, 2010 1:06 pm    Post subject: Another double fuller La Tene III         Reply with quote

Just wanted to share some pictures of my latest completed custom order. It is another double fullered La Tene III with a straight guard. The hilt is maple burl and boxwood burl, and the blade was made by Mark at Ollin Sword Design.

36 1/2" Overall Length

31" Blade Length

1 3/4" Blade Width at base

Weight- 1 1/2 pounds

My next big project will be an order for a xiphos. It is something different that I am looking very forward to working on and it should be a wicked little sword. Also have several different types of blades available for side projects that will range from an Ewart Park, to a falx, and single edged viking that I plan to do this spring and summer.

Shane
David Wilson

PostPosted: Sun 14 Mar, 2010 3:11 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Gorgeous... and at 1.5 lbs, I'll bet it's one fast monkey, just begging to cut things....
David K. Wilson, Jr.
Laird of Glencoe

Now available on Amazon: Franklin Posner's "Suburban Vampire: A Tale of the Human Condition -- With Vampires" https://www.amazon.com/dp/B072N7Y591
Michael Eging

PostPosted: Sun 14 Mar, 2010 3:53 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

The woodwork is really, really incredible! Beautiful! I can't wait to see the xiphos. Cool
M. Eging
Hamilton, VA
www.silverhornechoes.com
Member of the HEMA Alliance
http://hemaalliance.com/
Shane Allee
Industry Professional

PostPosted: Mon 15 Mar, 2010 9:48 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Thanks guys...

Mark really has these double fullers down at this point. The design is really nice because you can make them really light, but the cross section keeps it a ridged blade. It makes for a fast blade with plenty of cutting power from the forward balance point. I am not sure when we will be able to get around to it, but both of us are wanting to try some of the other variations of these to see how they stack up. I would really like to do one of the wide fullered types, but we'll just have to wait and see how things go. Maybe late summer or fall.

Shane
Antonio Lamadrid

PostPosted: Fri 16 Apr, 2010 9:54 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

After being stuck at customs for a month (Spanish public servants’ inefficiency and laziness are legendary), I finally got it.

The sword is a looker. I find the maple and boxwood combination to be of exquisite taste (all the credit to Shane). It is well balanced, a joy to handle, and I am sure it would be a great cutter, but I will never know, as it will cut nothing but air.

It is also a mightier weapon than I thought it would be. Given the choice between it and a gladius, it would win hands down in my case. Yet it was the gladius who won. A triumph of discipline and teamwork over individualism, not of superior weaponry.

Also my compliments to Mark Gryzbowski for making a great blade. This has been my first two-fullered sword, and it is an attractive design.

To those of you looking for a well-made, beautiful and historically accurate Celtic sword, I cannot recommend Shane Allee highly enough.
Joe Fults

Feedback score: 100%
(6 total ▮ 100% positive)
PostPosted: Fri 16 Apr, 2010 3:32 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

That is very, VERY pretty!
"The goal shouldn’t be to avoid being evil; it should be to actively do good." - Danah Boyd
Shane Allee
Industry Professional

PostPosted: Sat 17 Apr, 2010 3:51 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

I am so very very happy to hear that the sword finally made it to you safe and sound. There has been many restless nights sleep worrying about it getting there and what they might be doing to it. I will be looking into alternative methods of shipping to Spain in the future to see if there is anyway to speed up the customs process.

Hope you enjoy it Antonio.

Shane

Forum Index > Makers and Manufacturers Talk > Another double fuller La Tene III
Page 1 of 1 Reply to topic