Info Favorites Register Log in
myArmoury.com Discussion Forums

Forum index Memberlist Usergroups Spotlight Topics Search

myArmoury.com is now completely member-supported. Please contribute to our efforts with a donation. Your donations will go towards updating our site, modernizing it, and keeping it viable long-term.
Last 10 Donors: Daniel Sullivan, Anonymous, Chad Arnow, Jonathan Dean, M. Oroszlany, Sam Arwas, Barry C. Hutchins, Dan Kary, Oskar Gessler, Dave Tonge (View All Donors)

Forum Index > Off-topic Talk > antler tine points suggestions Reply to topic
This is a standard topic  
K J Seago

PostPosted: Thu 15 Apr, 2010 8:38 am    Post subject: antler tine points suggestions         Reply with quote

i have a load of points from the end of fallow and red deer antlers between 1 and 6 inches long, cant think of anything to make from them other than pottery stamps any interesting suggestions anyone?

Attachment: 130.55 KB
a bit like these really. [ Download ]

just another student of an interesting subject, Happy
Matthew Fedele

PostPosted: Thu 15 Apr, 2010 8:49 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Pipe tampers, pestles, boar spear lugs, cutlery furniture... Thousands of everyday uses. Wink

Cheers,
Matt
Ken Speed

PostPosted: Thu 15 Apr, 2010 10:14 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Some additional suggestions: Buttons, cutlery handles ( I know someone mentioned that already). tool handles ( awls, files, etc), toggles for shoulder bag flaps ( like a button but the string is longer), jewelry ( all kinds of jewelry items), conchos for saddlery or belts. Epoxy them into holes in a hefty tree branch and make a "cave man" club. Legs for a foot stool? Yeah, I'm reaching now but I have seen chairs and the like made from horns or antlers.
Bjorn Hagstrom

Reading list: 8 books

PostPosted: Thu 15 Apr, 2010 11:48 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

All good uses mentioned already, but my vote goes for grinding them down and boil them into antler-glue!
It's a killer to have period glue for scabbards, shields and other stuff.

There is nothing quite as sad as a one man conga-line...
Matthew Fedele

PostPosted: Thu 15 Apr, 2010 12:12 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Bjorn Hagstrom wrote:
All good uses mentioned already, but my vote goes for grinding them down and boil them into antler-glue!
It's a killer to have period glue for scabbards, shields and other stuff.

Do you have a recipe for the antler glue? I'm already guessing it smells deplorable...

Matt
Jean Thibodeau

Reading list: 1 book

Spotlight topics: 5

PostPosted: Thu 15 Apr, 2010 12:28 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Depending on size I would use some of these to make tips fro walking sticks or handles fro walking sticks although large sections of horn or horns cut so as to use more than just a point would be better for handles.

I used very large moose horn to make myself a few walking sticks handles or handle knobs/pommels.

You can easily give up your freedom. You have to fight hard to get it back!
Bjorn Hagstrom

PostPosted: Thu 15 Apr, 2010 1:01 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Matthew Fedele wrote:

Do you have a recipe for the antler glue? I'm already guessing it smells deplorable...

Matt

Yes, will smell...like history Cool

I have not yet made my own antler glue, still waiting for warmer weather. (as a coincidence I also have a large stack of fallow deer antler, more than I know what to do with really, so interesting thread) But you make it the same you make hide glue. Actually the recipies I have read seem to recommend throwing in basically anything from hide to muzzles, antlers, hoofs and sinews all in the same pot. Simmer in water until you have a sticky goo. Test the stuff by picking out a small glob and see if your fingers stick together when it has cooled down a little bit, if it does not it need to simmer some more. But look forward to spending some hours doing this. Preferrably outdoors

Scott Hrouda

Reading list: 87 books

PostPosted: Thu 15 Apr, 2010 1:04 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Try your hand at archery and make longbow string-nocks!
...and that, my liege, is how we know the Earth to be banana shaped. - Sir Bedevere
Ken Speed

PostPosted: Thu 15 Apr, 2010 4:54 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

OK, so its hide glue for all intents and purposes. The BIGGEST MISTAKE you can make with this kind of glue is to forget to refrigerate it! Don't ask me how I learned this! Big Grin Unless your nose is dead you will only make this error once, believe me! This advice goes for rags that you use to clean up the squeeze out if they're wet, which they should be.

Happy gluing
Jean Thibodeau

Reading list: 1 book

Spotlight topics: 5

PostPosted: Thu 15 Apr, 2010 10:16 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Ken Speed wrote:
OK, so its hide glue for all intents and purposes. The BIGGEST MISTAKE you can make with this kind of glue is to forget to refrigerate it! Don't ask me how I learned this! Big Grin Unless your nose is dead you will only make this error once, believe me! This advice goes for rags that you use to clean up the squeeze out if they're wet, which they should be.

Happy gluing

Better than a security system or burglar alarm I would guess to protect your home. Razz Unfortunately you probably would have to burn the place down to get rid of the smell. Razz Evil Laughing Out Loud

( No personal experience with this glue: I'm just guessing from your comments that it must be like having a dead skunk under the floorboard ? )

You can easily give up your freedom. You have to fight hard to get it back!
Bjorn Hagstrom

PostPosted: Fri 16 Apr, 2010 2:56 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Ken Speed wrote:
OK, so its hide glue for all intents and purposes.

Yes and no. I actually had to look this up. To add to the confusion my native swedish does not in everyday language make a distinction between antler and horn (it is all called horn) but in summary:

Antler (as from deer, moose, reindeer) is made up of collagen, the same protein as in skin and bone. Structurally it is close to bone. So yes, chemically it is the same as hide glue.

Horn (as cow, buffalo, sheep and goats) is made up of keratin, the same fibrous proteins as we have in nails and hair. I suppose this is not good for glue, or we would have heard of hair-glue?

I have read about that there could be some sublte diffrences between bone and hide glues but the variations might be just as large within each group as well depending on raw materials and individual batches. Instrument makers of 100.000 dollar violins or very fancy cabinet makers might disagree with this, but they have quite other demands than us mere mortal history-geeks that wants to slab together a shield or scabbard Happy

Ken Speed

PostPosted: Fri 16 Apr, 2010 5:17 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Well Jean, eventually a skunk will go away! This stuff won't. It is an incredible material and you can do some amazing things with it. I enjoy the idea that I'm using an adhesive that is essentially the same as that used by the ancient Egyptians.
In the dry granular form you can store it for years with no difficulty whatsoever but when it has been activated and is in the semi liquid state it can rot just like the material it was made from with the same putrified smell. Refrigerating the glue when you're not using it is easy and prevents this but if you forget about the rags you used to clean up excess glue or the water you soaked the rags in you can be in for a very unpleasant aroma in your shop!
Ken Speed

PostPosted: Fri 16 Apr, 2010 5:25 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Bjorn,

Hide glue and gelatin are very closely related products. A reason I don't eat much Jello. Hide glue comes in many different formulations for different applications. Some woodworking supply companies will sell small bags of granulated hide glue, I'd recommend trying the manufactured stuff before you try making your own. The liquid hide glue you can sometimes find in hardware stores is the same product but it is slowed down and has a preservative in it so it won't rot and will work without heating. There is a supplier in the Maryland area that sells larger quantities. Actually the company is Bjorn Industries and the people who own it are Danish.

Yeah, I guess I'm one of those fancy furniture makers.
Bjorn Hagstrom

PostPosted: Fri 16 Apr, 2010 6:14 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Ken Speed wrote:
Bjorn,

Hide glue and gelatin are very closely related products. A reason I don't eat much Jello. Hide glue comes in many different formulations for different applications. Some woodworking supply companies will sell small bags of granulated hide glue, I'd recommend trying the manufactured stuff before you try making your own. The liquid hide glue you can sometimes find in hardware stores is the same product but it is slowed down and has a preservative in it so it won't rot and will work without heating. There is a supplier in the Maryland area that sells larger quantities. Actually the company is Bjorn Industries and the people who own it are Danish.

Yeah, I guess I'm one of those fancy furniture makers.

For convenience sake, I will buy ready-made glue (this time rabbit glue from an art supply store, for making gesso) but I'd like to try cook my own at least once out of curiosity and to gain proper admiration for the people of the past that did this for real Happy

And I knew that hide glue was still in use for restauration and instrument-making, but I actually did not know it was still in such demand that you could get it in hardware stores. Maybe I just have not been looking enough..

K J Seago

PostPosted: Fri 16 Apr, 2010 12:07 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Quote:
tool handles ( awls, files, etc)
This is the one thing i've been meaning to do and always forget!
Thank you everyone, i'm glad its been helpful to more than just me!
the gle does sound good.
by the way i have heard of horn glue and i believe i have seen a recording of someone appliying it to the front of a pavise, sets like liquid fingernails supposedly !

just another student of an interesting subject, Happy

Forum Index > Off-topic Talk > antler tine points suggestions
Page 1 of 1 Reply to topic