Info Favorites Register Log in
myArmoury.com Discussion Forums

Forum index Memberlist Usergroups Spotlight Topics Search
Forum Index > Historical Arms Talk > Making your own riveted maile Reply to topic
This is a standard topic  
Christopher VaughnStrever

Reading list: 1 book

PostPosted: Fri 02 Apr, 2010 11:02 am    Post subject: Making your own riveted maile         Reply with quote

I wish to discuss the ability for a person to reproduce a quality (above the asian quality) of as close to reasonably authentic as a person can affordably make of maile armor of the late 15th century.

Now for a person to have the means to make a furnace and have the appropriate material (bloomery iron) such as Erik Scmidt is capable is beyond the means of many and most of just about any individual.

So now that the highest degree of accuracy is out of the window... What is the next degree to have the appeareance of a high quality?

What I am thinking is that a mild steel. A wire that could be formed into a ring, then overlapped, heated (Or possibly cold) flattened at the point of a making a punch and then hammering the rivet in.

On another note, what sizing of wire would be appropraite for a late 15th century? What size of the ring (Inside Diamater) would be consider'd accurate to that time?

Many of us here make alot of our own things, that is to our capabilities. I do not want to settle for butted maile as I currently wear. I will not purchase the indian made type of riveted maile. Though I am highly interested in taking my hammer to the rings... What are your thoughts and answers to help not only I, though all of us with the ability to have something that is above the rest (Not above the best)

Experience and learning from such defines maturity, not a number of age
Gabriele A. Pini

PostPosted: Fri 02 Apr, 2010 10:24 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Making riveted mail it's not so difficult, if one has the patience to prepare the tools, and a lot of time for the work.

I found some useful advices here:
www.currentmiddleages.org/artsci/docs/Champ_Bane_Coif.pdf

Forum Index > Historical Arms Talk > Making your own riveted maile
Page 1 of 1 Reply to topic