Info Favorites Register Log in
myArmoury.com Discussion Forums

Forum index Memberlist Usergroups Spotlight Topics Search
Forum Index > Historical Arms Talk > German Hunting Sword? - Looking For Info Reply to topic
This is a standard topic  
E. Rupp

PostPosted: Sun 21 Mar, 2010 5:57 pm    Post subject: German Hunting Sword? - Looking For Info         Reply with quote

I was told that this was a German hunting sword from around the 1740s. I was also told that it could be from the thirteenth or fourteenth century. If anyone could confirm or deny this or offer me any information or history at all on this sword, I'd much appreciate it.

The decorative bird seems to have been gilded at one time judging from the bright golden coloring in the crevices on the guard. I was told the grip is horn and the one corner seen in the photo is chipped but has been well worn down since then. The scabbard is obviously not period but came with the blade and was fashioned out of a beat up motorcycle jacket.

The white candies in the photos are standard Lifesavers wintergreen candies and can be used for size reference.

Thank you for any help.

Nate C.

Spotlight topics: 1

PostPosted: Sun 21 Mar, 2010 8:37 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Of the dates mentioned, 1740 is the most realistic. I would be inclined to say that was still a little early though. My guess would be the 1800s sometime but I have no basis for that other than construction methods.

Hope that helped,

Nate C.

Sapere Aude
"If you are going to kill the man, at least give him a decent salute." - A. Blansitt

If they ever come up with a Swashbuckling School, I think one of the courses should be Laughing, then Jumping Off Something. --Jack Handy
Chris Goerner

PostPosted: Mon 22 Mar, 2010 3:05 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

There is a very similar sword in Newman's Swords and Blades of the American Revolution that is listed as a "European Hunting Sword circa 1750-1760. If you have access to this book, it is sword number 94.S.

Chris

Sic Semper Tyranus
E. Rupp

PostPosted: Mon 22 Mar, 2010 9:19 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Thank you for the info.

Would something like this be commonly priced above the $1000 mark or because of its condition should it actually be priced quite lower? I'm not looking for an exact appraisal of it but rather a rough idea of the value of something like this.
Christopher Gregg

Reading list: 2 books

PostPosted: Mon 22 Mar, 2010 9:35 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

E. Rupp wrote:
Thank you for the info.

Would something like this be commonly priced above the $1000 mark or because of its condition should it actually be priced quite lower? I'm not looking for an exact appraisal of it but rather a rough idea of the value of something like this.

Hi. In my experience, these usually sell in the $400 - $1600 range, depending on condition, rarity, and desirability. As always, things are only worth what people are willing to pay for them, or what you are willing to sell it for (or not sell it). Happy

Christopher Gregg

'S Rioghal Mo Dhream!

Forum Index > Historical Arms Talk > German Hunting Sword? - Looking For Info
Page 1 of 1 Reply to topic