Info Favorites Register Log in
myArmoury.com Discussion Forums

Forum index Memberlist Usergroups Spotlight Topics Search
Forum Index > Off-topic Talk > Help With Great Sword Reply to topic
This is a standard topic  
Cory A.

PostPosted: Mon 08 Mar, 2010 6:05 am    Post subject: Help With Great Sword         Reply with quote

Hi everyone,

This is my first post and if all goes well I plan on sticking around for a while. I have a love for old weaponry. I've seem to have gotten my self into some trouble though. A few months ago I finally bought my self a rather large great sword. Generally it lives on my wall but the problem I have is when I take it with me to fairs and conventions. I know historically and accurately this type of sword was carried over the shoulder. This is all fine and dandy for about half an hour but after that it gets a bit tiring having to constantly pay attention so that somebody doesn't get smacked outside their head with my scabbard. I'm at a loss here. On one hand I really want to stick to being accurate, but this is proving to be a big hassle. On the other I've thought about getting or making some kind of scabbard to carry it on my back. In the research I've looked into I've found that this was very rare because it is so impracticable to draw a sword from that position. I'm 5' 11" and its pummel comes up past my shoulder. I don't plan on going places and drawing it out all the time. It's always peace bonded with a couple leather strips I made, but I am concerned about functionality as well.

I was kinda wondering if any body had any ideas or tips that they do. If someone had any recommendations for a back scabbard, who could make one or where to get one that would be cool too. There was one I saw that I did like but it was rather expensive. (http://www.medievalware.com/Back-Scabbard-for-Broadswords-Black-p/ol1038b.htm) It was made for a broadsword so I'm not sure if I made something like that if it would work. My other concern is that if I did this would others notice its inaccuracy a great deal? Or, would most think nothing of it?

thank you.
- Cory

I really love the sword and it does kinda sadden me when I take it with me and end up keeping it in the hotel room.
A. Spanjer

PostPosted: Mon 08 Mar, 2010 6:42 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

I think most people wouldn't notice. But 'most' people's knowledge of history (at least when it come to big swords) comes from Braveheart.

Serious history buffs, arms and armour enthusiasts, and reenactors would notice, but I think they would understand once you explain to them why you're wearing it like that.

Out of curiosity, what kind of sword is it?

Na sir 's na seachain an cath.
Cory A.

PostPosted: Mon 08 Mar, 2010 7:41 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

A. Spanjer wrote:
I think most people wouldn't notice. But 'most' people's knowledge of history (at least when it come to big swords) comes from Braveheart.

Serious history buffs, arms and armour enthusiasts, and reenactors would notice, but I think they would understand once you explain to them why you're wearing it like that.

Out of curiosity, what kind of sword is it?

Thanks. It''s a Cold Steel Great Sword. I own a couple of their knives and their steel has really proven itself to me. My sword was one of the first big weapons I found that i liked because it doesn't appear to be a toy or a decorative stage prop. At the time i got it i didn't know that there were still people that hand made swords this big. I think the next sword of theirs I get will be their Chinese war sword. Another, big blade but that one is full tang. It'll be fun getting that and researching more about it. After that though I think I'll start collecting from actual smiths that hand forge their blades since i found out they're still around. There's on company in Italy that still does this and they have some impressive stuff.

Does anyone know if the great swords were made full tang? I'm not sure if mine is.
A. Spanjer

PostPosted: Mon 08 Mar, 2010 10:09 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

As far as I know, all swords (except for some early bronze age ones) should have full tangs.
Na sir 's na seachain an cath.
Luka Borscak

PostPosted: Mon 08 Mar, 2010 12:06 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Cory, do you mean full tang like ful width tang like in a knife or just a tang that goes all the way through the grip length?
Neil Gagel

PostPosted: Mon 08 Mar, 2010 12:34 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Luka Borscak wrote:
Cory, do you mean full tang like ful width tang like in a knife or just a tang that goes all the way through the grip length?

I think a lot of people who aren't very familiar with swords mistake "full tang" for "slab tang". I just recently had to explain the difference to one of my friends during an impromptu bottle cutting session. I have a Hanwei/Tinker longsword that I disassembled after cutting and he stared at me in amazement and asked "I thought you said it was full-tang, what gives?"
Timo Nieminen

Reading list: 1 book

PostPosted: Mon 08 Mar, 2010 12:39 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Cory A. wrote:
It''s a Cold Steel Great Sword.

Personally, I wouldn't use a back scabbard for this sword. The guard is wide (as in its both long and wide), and with
that guard against your back, the pommel is sticking out into space somewhere, and will get in the way. Compare the "traditional" (as in Braveheart-traditional) back-scabbard for claymore and Braveheart "claymores", where the guard, although long, is not wide - the sword can sit flat.

Just put a carrying strap on it. Tie one end around the ricasso or to the guard, and the other end around the scabbard, somewhere near the bottom. Doesn't matter if this other end is a bit loose, or if it slips - this end doesn't support and weight, if you're carrying grip-up. Just wear it over your shoulder like you would wear any 5-foot backpack with one strap.

If you carry it like this, instead of wearing it, you can take it off easily, put it down easily, and carry it in the more authentic blade over the shoulder style easily.

Quote:
Does anyone know if the great swords were made full tang? I'm not sure if mine is.

It's the typical (modern) Chinese construction with a small pommel nut (the little round thing at the end of the pommel) holding the pommel onto the threaded tang, and a large nut and washer at the top (i.e., the pommel end) of the grip. So, full tang, with a threaded end. You can use some pliers or gripping pliers to remove the pommel nut (use something like leather so you don't mark it), take off the pommel, remove the main nut with a spanner, and check out the tang for yourself.

Forum Index > Off-topic Talk > Help With Great Sword
Page 1 of 1 Reply to topic