Info Favorites Register Log in
myArmoury.com Discussion Forums

Forum index Memberlist Usergroups Spotlight Topics Search
Forum Index > Off-topic Talk > Eastern Slavic Lamellar Armor Reply to topic
This is a standard topic  
Liang Tuang Nah

PostPosted: Tue 23 Feb, 2010 11:06 pm    Post subject: Eastern Slavic Lamellar Armor         Reply with quote

G'day Guys,

Has anyone here ever done business with http://armstreet.com/home.html before? If you guys have, how are their gambeson and lamellar offerings?

Next, I am strongly considering getting their combination metal and leather lamellar armor, http://armstreet.com/store/armor/1/202.html along with a gambeson as padding. While I do not intend to use my armor for live cutting testing, can you guys give me an idea of the protective qualities of a combination metal and leather lamellar + gambeson armor suit against the following threats?

1) Had hit with a staff or club?
2) Stab with a piercing weapon like a dagger? (one handed force)
3) Slash with a light sword?
4) Hack with a heavy sword like a cutlass or possibly something with the weight of a good kitchen cleaver?

Would the threats be stopped? If not then how serious would the injury be?

Thanks for your opinions.

The cartridge box, soap box and ballot box.....the first supports your right to use the second which in turn safeguards the right to be assured the third every few years.
A. Spanjer

PostPosted: Wed 24 Feb, 2010 6:14 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

I'm no expert, but it looks to me like there's to much leather and not enough metal on that armour.

Unless there's metal underneath the leather part, any number of weapons could easily penetrate. That said, lamellar armour always looked weak to me, now that's probably not true. Why would they use it if it didn't work? It just always looked that way to me

As far as historical accuracy goes, I have no idea if that piece is historically accurate, but if I had to guess I'd say not...

Na sir 's na seachain an cath.
Liang Tuang Nah

PostPosted: Sat 27 Feb, 2010 7:25 am    Post subject: Ok....so can it be reinforced?         Reply with quote

Apparently, the retailer is willing to customise the armour for me. Hence, if the leather is of a thicker grade and the lamellar plates are made to be 16 instead of 18 guage, will the protective qualities be substantially improved?
The cartridge box, soap box and ballot box.....the first supports your right to use the second which in turn safeguards the right to be assured the third every few years.
Nate C.

Spotlight topics: 1

PostPosted: Sat 27 Feb, 2010 11:24 pm    Post subject: Re: Eastern Slavic Lamellar Armor         Reply with quote

Liang Tuang Nah wrote:
can you guys give me an idea of the protective qualities of a combination metal and leather lamellar + gambeson armor suit against the following threats?

1) Had hit with a staff or club?
2) Stab with a piercing weapon like a dagger? (one handed force)
3) Slash with a light sword?
4) Hack with a heavy sword like a cutlass or possibly something with the weight of a good kitchen cleaver?

1) probably fairly decent given the padding of the gambeson.
2) I would guess at a "hot knife through butter" performance. Especially against a rondel dagger.
3) would most likely go through the leather but not the gambeson.
4) a cutlass isn't really a heavy sword. I'd guess about the same as 3.

Note that this armor appears non-historical but looks like a fantasy-ish Chinese or Japanese to me.

Cheers,

Nate C.

Sapere Aude
"If you are going to kill the man, at least give him a decent salute." - A. Blansitt

If they ever come up with a Swashbuckling School, I think one of the courses should be Laughing, then Jumping Off Something. --Jack Handy

Forum Index > Off-topic Talk > Eastern Slavic Lamellar Armor
Page 1 of 1 Reply to topic