Info Favorites Register Log in
myArmoury.com Discussion Forums

Forum index Memberlist Usergroups Spotlight Topics Search
Forum Index > Historical Arms Talk > Fort Ticonderoga sword collection Reply to topic
This is a standard topic  
Ken Demyen

PostPosted: Thu 29 Jul, 2004 7:34 pm    Post subject: Fort Ticonderoga sword collection         Reply with quote

Just thought I would share some of the pics I took of the nice sized sword collection at fort Ticonderoga.
Sorry the quality isn't the best on some of them, but I was photographing through glass. I didn't get much information while I was there, as it was a quick stop on the way to the Ben & Jerry's factory in Vermont. (something wrong with the priorities here).

Attachment: 113.17 KB
basket hilt 2.jpg

Attachment: 123.59 KB
basket hilt 4.jpg

Attachment: 74.8 KB
baskethilt 1.jpg

Attachment: 54.4 KB
Basket hilts 3.jpg

Attachment: 85.47 KB
officer hilts.jpg

Ken Demyen

PostPosted: Thu 29 Jul, 2004 7:37 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

one more

Attachment: 56.81 KB
officer hilts 2.jpg

Stephen A. Fisher

PostPosted: Thu 29 Jul, 2004 9:48 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Thanks Ken!
Jeff Larsen

PostPosted: Fri 30 Jul, 2004 7:04 am    Post subject: Re: Swords at Fort Ticonderoga         Reply with quote

Hi Ken,

Thanks for the pictures. I had wanted to get up there for their annual re-enactment several years ago (around 9-11), but was unable to. Love that part of history, French and Indian War and American Revolutionary War. Big Grin

Thanks again,

Jeff Cool
Ken Demyen

PostPosted: Fri 30 Jul, 2004 8:07 am    Post subject: Re: Swords at Fort Ticonderoga         Reply with quote

Jeff Larsen wrote:
Hi Ken,

Thanks for the pictures. I had wanted to get up there for their annual re-enactment several years ago (around 9-11), but was unable to. Love that part of history, French and Indian War and American Revolutionary War. Big Grin

Thanks again,

Jeff Cool

I had a friend at the fort Ti reenactment in 2001, he ended up stuck in New York for about a week until flights were able to resume after 9/11.
I would have liked to have spent the entire day at the fort, but Ben & Jerry were calling to the wife.
I wish I had taken notes for the pics I took so I could have had more information. The first two baskethilt pics (with all the reflections from the glass) were in the Black Watch section. The sabres are listed as American officer swords, and were dated from the 1700s to about 1830-40. They have an excellent firearm and artillery collection too!
E.B. Erickson
Industry Professional

PostPosted: Sat 31 Jul, 2004 5:01 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Hi Ken,
Great photos, and in one of them you may have a key to a puzzle that I've been trying to solve for a long time. Here's the puzzle: Mortuary swords were a very common English type in the mid 1600s, yet I've never seen one that was used in the colonies; every other type of English sword saw service over here, why not the Morts?

So in the 4th photo down ( the one with the 4 English swords), the top one is a Mortuary sword. Do all of the swords in Fort Ti have documented American colonial useage? Or are they just examples of swords that could have been used here?

Thanks in advance! --ElJay
Ken Demyen

PostPosted: Sat 31 Jul, 2004 7:34 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

E.B. Erickson wrote:
Hi Ken,
Great photos, and in one of them you may have a key to a puzzle that I've been trying to solve for a long time. Here's the puzzle: Mortuary swords were a very common English type in the mid 1600s, yet I've never seen one that was used in the colonies; every other type of English sword saw service over here, why not the Morts?

So in the 4th photo down ( the one with the 4 English swords), the top one is a Mortuary sword. Do all of the swords in Fort Ti have documented American colonial useage? Or are they just examples of swords that could have been used here?

Thanks in advance! --ElJay

The date on the reference card calls it a 'Horseman's sabre' and appears to show the date of Ca. 1650-1700? can't tell for sure on the date ( I tried to get the complete reference cards in the photos, but it looks like I failed).

I was told that the items in the different collections are examples of North American colonial period pieces, that cover the American, British, French, and Native American factions. I'm not sure if very piece has been documented as being used in the area during the colonial period. Here is a link to the Fort Ti collection, they might be able to give you more information:
>http://www.fort-ticonderoga.org/collections/default.htm<

-Ken
I am still kicking myself for not spending more time at the fort!

Attachment: 85.25 KB
sabre.jpg
Horseman's Sabre Ca. 1650?-1700?
E.B. Erickson
Industry Professional

PostPosted: Sun 01 Aug, 2004 7:19 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Hi Again Ken,
Thanks for the additional info! Right after I posted yesterday, I went to Google and foung the Fort's website. In it they gave the email for the curator of the collections, so I'll drop him a line and see what turns up.

--ElJay
Scott Bubar

PostPosted: Sun 01 Aug, 2004 12:19 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

E.B. Erickson wrote:
Hi Again Ken,
Thanks for the additional info! Right after I posted testerday, I went to Google and foung the Fort's website. In it they gave the email for the curator of the collections, so I'll drop him a line and see what turns up.

--ElJay

Please let us know what he says, Eljay, you've got me curious too.

I was up there a few years ago with my son. It's a small, but very nice, collection.

The reconstructed fort and it's site are beautiful.

Forum Index > Historical Arms Talk > Fort Ticonderoga sword collection
Page 1 of 1 Reply to topic