Info Favorites Register Log in
myArmoury.com Discussion Forums

Forum index Memberlist Usergroups Spotlight Topics Search
Forum Index > Off-topic Talk > Opinion request - Darkwood longsword Reply to topic
This is a standard topic  
Dan Sellars

PostPosted: Fri 19 Feb, 2010 9:44 am    Post subject: Opinion request - Darkwood longsword         Reply with quote

Do any of you have any experience with Darkwood longswords?

http://www.darkwoodarmory.com/index.php?main_...ucts_id=87

What are they like as trainers? How do the blades handle and hold up?

Cheers,
Dan.
Bill Grandy
myArmoury Team

myArmoury Team

Reading list: 43 books

Spotlight topics: 2

PostPosted: Fri 19 Feb, 2010 9:54 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

They aren't bad. I'd put them above any of the Hanwei trainers by a lot, but not quite as good as the A&A and Albion trainers by a little. The price reflects this. They're very sturdy, the blade hardness is good, an the flex is decent. The major plus is that you have a lot of options for customization. This also means there's a wider range in how the sword can possibly handle. I've handled some that have a lot of blade presence and some that had a balance point very close to the hand, and some in between due to different hilt furniture.
HistoricalHandcrafts.com
-Inspired by History, Crafted by Hand

"For practice is better than artfulness. Your exercise can do well without artfulness, but artfulness is not much good without the exercise.” -anonymous 15th century fencing master, MS 3227a
Dan Sellars

PostPosted: Fri 19 Feb, 2010 9:59 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Cool thanks Bill, one of the things that appeals is just beign able to get the blades and mod it to make a more historic looking sword but with a training blade. I keel looking at Sean Flynt's mods thinking that is cool.

So you would place it above a Hanwei Tinker? I amuse it is more durable?

Any idea how it holds up against dissimilar blades? for example the Albion Liechtenauer. We tend to use Heimricks trainers here and it would need to be able to hold up to them.
Bill Grandy
myArmoury Team

myArmoury Team

Reading list: 43 books

Spotlight topics: 2

PostPosted: Fri 19 Feb, 2010 7:42 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Dan Sellars wrote:
So you would place it above a Hanwei Tinker? I amuse it is more durable?

I actually haven't done more than dry handle the Hanwei Tinker swords, so I can't tell you anything about durability other than the second hand reports I've heard that they are decent for the money, but don't really last.

Quote:
Any idea how it holds up against dissimilar blades? for example the Albion Liechtenauer. We tend to use Heimricks trainers here and it would need to be able to hold up to them.

I've used A&A's and Albions against them at events where they seemed to hold up just fine. I should point out that I don't own a Darkwood longsword, nor does anyone in my group, so I can't tell you if that would be true in the long run or not.

HistoricalHandcrafts.com
-Inspired by History, Crafted by Hand

"For practice is better than artfulness. Your exercise can do well without artfulness, but artfulness is not much good without the exercise.” -anonymous 15th century fencing master, MS 3227a
Jean Thibodeau

Reading list: 1 book

Spotlight topics: 5

PostPosted: Fri 19 Feb, 2010 11:36 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

I have an Albion Liechtenauer and after years of use it hardly shows anything more than very light dimples in the edges and some surface scuffing/scratches that are easy to polish/sand out: Superficial and only light cosmetic damage.

A friend of mine has been using a Tinker/Hanwey training blade and it is holding up well but has deeper but not excessively deep nicks or notches in the blade edges or shallow divots taken out of the edges.

Some other training blades in our group are old Windlass blades that where used before better things came along: Not really training blades, just the usual " unsharpened " Windlass " edges maybe slightly ground down to be a bit rounder and thicker ( Not sure about they being stock or slightly modified but in use and repair they have become more rounded because of the removal of sharp nicks I assume ).

The point being that the Windlass blades are still "safe " when maintained ( Filling out nicks ) but look, relatively to the Albions or Tinker/Hanwey, very beat up i.e. saw blades !

The Tinker/Hanwey are closer to the Albions in durability but end up with more cosmetic damage in the short and medium term and I assume wont last as long as the Albions if we are talking in multiple years of safe usage I think.

You can easily give up your freedom. You have to fight hard to get it back!

Forum Index > Off-topic Talk > Opinion request - Darkwood longsword
Page 1 of 1 Reply to topic