Info Favorites Register Log in
myArmoury.com Discussion Forums

Forum index Memberlist Usergroups Spotlight Topics Search
Forum Index > Off-topic Talk > Byzantine Empire by Luttwak Reply to topic
This is a standard topic  
Maurizio D'Angelo

Reading list: 3 books

PostPosted: Thu 11 Feb, 2010 4:03 pm    Post subject: Byzantine Empire by Luttwak         Reply with quote

I just finished reading
The Grand Strategy of the Byzantine Empire E.L. Luttwak. (Italian version)
Luttwak, military strategist and consultant to the Pentagon and the Council for National Security of the White House. This book is the fruit of 30 years of research by Luttwak.
That of Constantinople was a unique case in history: a thousand years of unchallenged domination over a vast and multi-ethnic empire. Byzantium developed a highly effective political and military strategy, based on a very modern use of what we today would call "intelligence."
On the military front, tried to keep the peace for as long as possible kept tensions high by acting as if war were always imminent, but went into battle only when it had a good chance of winning. In domestic policy, emphasizing integration and absorption to exploit the wealth of cultures, technologies and knowledge that each subject people brought in dowry.
References to modern foreign policy is veiled, but frequent. Seems to say, just copy them. I'd like to know the impressions of an American.
Someone read it?

Ciao
Maurizio
Bryce Felperin

PostPosted: Thu 11 Feb, 2010 6:50 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

And they still got whacked through bad leadership and strong enemies...and also bad friends. Kind of what we're experiencing in the modern day also. ;-)

Sounds like an interesting book though...have to look for it on Amazon.
Michael Eging

PostPosted: Fri 12 Feb, 2010 6:47 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Just found it on Amazon... looking forward to reading it! Cool
M. Eging
Hamilton, VA
www.silverhornechoes.com
Member of the HEMA Alliance
http://hemaalliance.com/
Maurizio D'Angelo

Reading list: 3 books

PostPosted: Sat 13 Feb, 2010 4:07 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

With the Enlightenment has begun to shun the Byzantine culture. A great vacuum that continues today. We can not fully understand our history without going into this important aspect.
The book is divided into three parts:
- The invention of Byzantine strategy.
- The Byzantine diplomacy.
- The Byzantine art of war.
Needless to say this last part I was literally fascinated.
Luttwak's work, especially for the aspects most closely linked to the military strategy and diplomacy, is of unquestionable value.

I noticed a mistake, I do not know if the translation or the author, in chapter one it says that the Persians attacked Nisibis at the time of Theodosius II, but it is not possible, given that Nisibis was Persian.

When you read it, let me know.
Good reading.

Ciao
Maurizio
Michael Eging

PostPosted: Tue 23 Feb, 2010 11:37 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

I absolutely agree with you about not understanding our own history of the Renaissance in general, which in very formative times, was fueled by an influx of Byzantine scholars who taught at schools set up by patrons throughout northern Italy. I just got my copy of the book and have just begun, but I find it very interesting. Thanks for pointing this book out!

Cool

M. Eging
Hamilton, VA
www.silverhornechoes.com
Member of the HEMA Alliance
http://hemaalliance.com/
Dan Sellars

PostPosted: Wed 24 Feb, 2010 10:29 am    Post subject: Re: Byzantine Empire by Luttwak         Reply with quote

Maurizio D'Angelo wrote:
I just finished reading
The Grand Strategy of the Byzantine Empire E.L. Luttwak. (Italian version)
Luttwak, military strategist and consultant to the Pentagon and the Council for National Security of the White House. This book is the fruit of 30 years of research by Luttwak.
That of Constantinople was a unique case in history: a thousand years of unchallenged domination over a vast and multi-ethnic empire. Byzantium developed a highly effective political and military strategy, based on a very modern use of what we today would call "intelligence."
On the military front, tried to keep the peace for as long as possible kept tensions high by acting as if war were always imminent, but went into battle only when it had a good chance of winning. In domestic policy, emphasizing integration and absorption to exploit the wealth of cultures, technologies and knowledge that each subject people brought in dowry.
References to modern foreign policy is veiled, but frequent. Seems to say, just copy them. I'd like to know the impressions of an American.
Someone read it?

Thanks for posting this. I heard an interview with him on CBC the other day and didn't catch his name. You have reminded me of it. He had a lot of interesting things to say.

Some of the gist of what he said is here http://www.cbc.ca/canada/story/2010/01/26/f-vp-handler.html

Forum Index > Off-topic Talk > Byzantine Empire by Luttwak
Page 1 of 1 Reply to topic