Info Favorites Register Log in
myArmoury.com Discussion Forums

Forum index Memberlist Usergroups Spotlight Topics Search
Forum Index > Off-topic Talk > Del tin, Dark sword or Angus trim?? Reply to topic
This is a standard topic Go to page 1, 2  Next 
Mark Donevan

PostPosted: Tue 09 Feb, 2010 5:26 pm    Post subject: Del tin, Dark sword or Angus trim??         Reply with quote

Which should be my new sword!

Im thinking about a medieval single hander to really get down and do some cutting with. ive checked out all the reviews and read positive things about all these makers.

which one in most durable, well balanced in general for the price??

thanks guys

MD

for the Horde!!
Nathan Robinson
myArmoury Admin

myArmoury Admin

PostPosted: Tue 09 Feb, 2010 5:40 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Given that the only need you expressed above is for something intended for cutting, the only appropriate choice in your list in an Angus Trim sword.
.:. Visit my Collection Gallery :: View my Reading List :: View my Wish List :: See Pages I Like :: Find me on Facebook .:.
Mark Donevan

PostPosted: Tue 09 Feb, 2010 5:53 pm    Post subject: lol         Reply with quote

well Thank you Nathan and straight to the point.

Now where to find one may be a problem. only Christian fletcher sells his stuff these days?

for the Horde!!
Nathan Robinson
myArmoury Admin

myArmoury Admin

PostPosted: Tue 09 Feb, 2010 6:00 pm    Post subject: Re: lol         Reply with quote

Mark Donevan wrote:
Now where to find one may be a problem. only Christian fletcher sells his stuff these days?

Good question. I think that's right, though. There's also the used market which is currently probably the best way to get an ATrim quickly and at a good price.

There are also other choices for swords, too, such as the less expensive option of going for the swords designed by Angus Trim and Christian Fletcher and created by Valiant Armoury. I know absolutely nothing about their performance in terms of cutting ability, however.

.:. Visit my Collection Gallery :: View my Reading List :: View my Wish List :: See Pages I Like :: Find me on Facebook .:.
Christopher Finneman

PostPosted: Tue 09 Feb, 2010 7:22 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

The valiant armoury atrim swords cut real nice and are made to be cut with.
Well the long swords do quick work to bottles and random fruits and melons.

Proudly it stands until the worlds end. The victorious banner of love.
P. Cha

PostPosted: Tue 09 Feb, 2010 9:33 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Okay a break down.

Del tin...comes dull with a 1mm edge. Sharpens up nicely, some models are very good others are not...but overall as a line, they are good swords if you can sharpen a sword or know somebody who can.

Darksword...comes with a 1mm edge. Has a sharpening service...but it is not very good. Most models are poorly balanced or weighted. Their new models seem much better on paper...but no clue if they are any good or not.

Angus swords...nice swords. Comes sharp. Must get new ones from christian fletcher.

Other options...

Valiantīs gus line up...cheaper less refined version of gus sword. The fit wonīt last as long and the feel isnīt exactly the same...but honestly for the price, they are good.

Hanwei tinker line up...once again,cheaper less refines versions of tinkerīs swords. The fitting is worse then the valiant line up, the edge is worse...but I like the blade better on these.

Gen 2...they are tough little swords...has good edge, but the look and fitting generally leaves a lot to be desired...especially the leather they use.

Windlass...dull edge. has sharpening option...which isnīt very good. Some models are good, others are not.

So as you can see, if you can afford the gus blade, go with those Wink .
Patrik W

PostPosted: Wed 10 Feb, 2010 7:31 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

I was not impressed by the performance of the valiant armoury kreigschwert. It looks good, but was very cheaply made. The blade was very whippy; incorrect distal taper. The handle was uncomfortable. The leather belt and belt suspension were cheap crap. Buy A real Atrim.
Roger Hooper

Spotlight topics: 4

PostPosted: Wed 10 Feb, 2010 9:55 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Unfortunately, there is only one singlehander ATrim at Christian Fletcher's website, a type XIV. However, I draw your attention to AT1326, formerly known as the Makers Mark Triple-Fullered Type XIII. - http://www.christianfletcher.com/Christian_Fl...lered.html -

I have this sword, and I think it is one of Gus' best creations. It is a great cutter, and while it feels best in two hands, it can function as a singlehander without much of a problem. Of all swords that I've handled, this one feels the best and most lively in my hands. It is also relatively inexpensive - you get a lot of bang for your buck with this model.
Mike Harris

PostPosted: Wed 10 Feb, 2010 11:45 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

I find myself agreeing with everything P Cha said about all the brands listed, except a marked preference for the Hanwei Tinker blade design over the current ones from Valiant Armoury. But I will note that I totally concur when comparing them to the VA blades from previous batches. And I will second Roger's recommendation for the "currently called an AT1326." I have one of the original MM Triple-fuller XIII swords. And my opinion exactly mirrors Roger's.

Also, if an ATrim single-hander is what you must have, I hear Christian Fletcher is receiving another triple-fuller Antioch-ish Type XII blade today. I would guess that it will be ready to sell (maybe with some prodding) in a few days. It wouldn't hurt to inquire with CF if that's the kind of sword you are looking for.
P. Cha

PostPosted: Wed 10 Feb, 2010 5:39 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Well Mike, I havenīt had a chance to see the latest batch of the VA stuff yet. But considering how Sonny is, not surprised that they are better then the first batch. Who know, with the next batch he may surpass the H/T line.

As for the krieg being too whippy...not sure I agree with that. Itīs a little on the whippy side for my taste (once again first batch)...but not overly so for the type.
Chris Lampe

PostPosted: Wed 10 Feb, 2010 7:02 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Have you considered having John Lundemo of odinblades.com make you a sword? He had a thread in the manufacturer's section here with some very reasonable prices for basic cutting swords. His reputation is very good and I have owned one of his swords in the past I've got a current commission with him for another.

If you are looking at ATrims from Christian Fletcher you might be in the same ballpark price-wise. Atrim or Odin, I've owned both and you won't go wrong with either.
Sonny Suttles
Industry Professional

PostPosted: Thu 11 Feb, 2010 1:11 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Patrik W wrote:
I was not impressed by the performance of the valiant armoury kreigschwert. It looks good, but was very cheaply made. The blade was very whippy; incorrect distal taper. The handle was uncomfortable. The leather belt and belt suspension were cheap crap. Buy A real Atrim.

I generally would let a comment like yours go. Believe me when I say I understand that it is impossible to please everyone. However, The part about incorrect distal taper and the leather belt suspension being "cheap crap" I take issue with.
I was forwarded all of your complants by the dealer you made the purchase with. The dealer refunded your purchase and the sword was returned to me no questions asked. When your sword was returned for the reasons you stated, I checked the blade over very close. I measured the supposedly "incorrect distal taper" but the distal taper on the sword you returned was .240 at the Guard .170 at the half down to .112 at one inch above the tip. I spoke with Gus and he said for that for a hand forged and finished blade that this was well within his expectations. I am confused by your claim regarding the distal taper. As for the leather, We use leather purchased right here in the US. These are not made in China. All of the leather work is done as close to the original Christian Fletcher protoype as possible. We buy first quality leather not economy. We hand make all of the leather as much as possible. I understand if you didn't like it. Your right, but I don't understand your defaming our brand.
Well. That is all I have to say on the subject. I will not comment further. I apologize if you feel slighted.

Sonny

www.valiant-armoury.com
www.customswordshoppe.com
Patrik W

PostPosted: Thu 11 Feb, 2010 4:55 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

First off, sorry everyone for the thread hijack.
I understand that you want to protect your product, however I pulled out my calipers and checked the distal taper. The measurements went from large to smaller to larger to smaller again ( I may still have the measurements somewhere).
The thickness varied from side to side as well as length. I have never seen so much flex on a quick downward stroke.
The leather belt is very thin, and feels cheap. Sorry it just does.
All that being said it may be a good sword package for its price point. A great looking wallhanger. Furthermore I may have recieved the one bad one blade that which made it through Chinese QA. I realize I cannot compare it to my Albions but it still has to perform.
Sorry your offended but I have to call it as I see it.

BTW using "cheap crap" was a bit hasty.
James Cunniffe

PostPosted: Thu 11 Feb, 2010 5:47 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

A week ago i was in the KOA store where I handled many swords from the Kreigchwert to Albion swords,and i must say that the Kreigchwert is a fine sword which any one would be proud to own and is as far from a wall hanger as an Albion sword .Thanks to Sonny there are now high quality swords out there at a reasonable price .Also i own a VAat304s which is in the practical line and is a very good sword for any beginner or expert sword person .
Though the pen is mightier than the sword,
the sword speaks louder and stronger at any given moment.
Mark Donevan

PostPosted: Thu 11 Feb, 2010 6:50 pm    Post subject: I thank you!         Reply with quote

I thank you for all your replys.

Its good to have some feed back about whats what out there! i think im going to go with a Atrim if i can get one or maybe a darksword if i cant find a good atrim.

cheers Gents

MD

for the Horde!!
Roger Hooper

Spotlight topics: 4

PostPosted: Fri 12 Feb, 2010 12:30 am    Post subject: Re: I thank you!         Reply with quote

Mark Donevan wrote:

Its good to have some feed back about whats what out there! i think im going to go with a Atrim if i can get one or maybe a darksword if i cant find a good atrim.

cheers Gents

MD

Just curious - why are you considering something from Darksword Armory?
Luka Borscak

PostPosted: Fri 12 Feb, 2010 3:12 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

New Darkswords are much more worth considering than old ones. They are lighter, scabbards are better, edges are thinner and easier to sharpen, not bad at all, all in all.
Paul Hansen

PostPosted: Sun 14 Feb, 2010 9:22 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

James Cunniffe wrote:
Thanks to Sonny there are now high quality swords out there at a reasonable price

That's a bit simplistic... There are quite a few other offerings which also provide good quality for the same money.

The Albion Squire line may be mentioned and Lutel also.
James Cunniffe

PostPosted: Sun 14 Feb, 2010 12:12 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Paul you are right there are more out there a lot in fact .VA new line of swords are just one example, as I was talking about the kreigchwert and defending his new line of swords, I never implied that Sonny was the only one out there with the best quality for the price , but thanks to Sonny and his work with Gus Trim there are MORE high quality low price swords out there.
Though the pen is mightier than the sword,
the sword speaks louder and stronger at any given moment.
P. Cha

PostPosted: Sun 14 Feb, 2010 12:41 pm    Post subject: Re: I thank you!         Reply with quote

Mark Donevan wrote:

cheers Gents

MD

Any specific models you are interested in?

Forum Index > Off-topic Talk > Del tin, Dark sword or Angus trim??
Page 1 of 2 Reply to topic
Go to page 1, 2  Next All times are GMT - 8 Hours

View previous topic :: View next topic
Jump to: