Info Favorites Register Log in
myArmoury.com Discussion Forums

Forum index Memberlist Usergroups Spotlight Topics Search
Forum Index > Off-topic Talk > Where to buy mail gauntlets? Reply to topic
This is a standard topic  
Alan Schiff
Industry Professional

PostPosted: Fri 05 Feb, 2010 11:45 am    Post subject: Where to buy mail gauntlets?         Reply with quote

Hi all! I'm working on a kit for a Scot (lowlander) from about 1320. I've already got my haubergeon and am in need of a pair of mail gauntlets. I know about the ones from MRL, which are 18 gauge steel. I am really hoping to find some that are heavy enough to be used for sparring/armored combat (SCA, ECS, Adrian Empire, and similar). Does anyone know where to obtain a good pair for this purpose?

In addition, I'm not necessarily set on mail. The persona is a mercenary, so if there are other forms of gauntlets appropriate for that persona, I'm willing to take suggestions. I've already used the search function and wasn't able to find much information.

Thanks in advance,
Alan
Sander Marechal

Reading list: 17 books

Spotlight topics: 1

PostPosted: Sat 06 Feb, 2010 1:34 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

1320's? If I were you I'd be looking at early wisby-style gauntlets. I think they're safer too for SCA-type work. Mail isn't that good at absorbing blunt force on it's own without significant padding underneath. That's usually not a problem for a hauberk with a gambeson underneath but I wouldn't trust my fingers to a thinner padding on mail gauntlets.
Felix R.

Reading list: 25 books

Spotlight topics: 2

PostPosted: Sat 06 Feb, 2010 1:44 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

For mail gauntlets, which would be mufflers, they are very easy to make yourself. Just get yourself a patch of very small ringed mail. Sew a muffler first, here you can hide additional protection, be it dense foam, plastic, steel or just padding, cover it with coth and them add the maille cut to shape. Only your thub would have to be an extra piece. So you see, very easy and not too costly.
Alan Schiff
Industry Professional

PostPosted: Sat 06 Feb, 2010 8:06 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Thanks guys. I was originally looking at getting steel gauntlets, but was hoping that I could find a mail alternative for cheaper. I was able to find some information that David Teague wrote about making his own mail gloves by attaching fine mail to a padded sparring glove. Even with the padding, he said his hands were still more vulnerable than if he wore steel gauntlets. That being the case, I'll go back to my original plan with steel.

Thanks again for the replies,
Alan
Myles Mulkey

PostPosted: Sat 06 Feb, 2010 8:15 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Edit: wrong link

How about these? I've never bought any Windlass armor so I can't testify to its quality or anything. Something like what you're looking for?

http://www.museumreplicas.com/p-68-mail-gauntlets.aspx
Alan Schiff
Industry Professional

PostPosted: Sat 06 Feb, 2010 11:54 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Hey Myles, those are the ones I mentioned from MRL. They are 18 gauge, both cuff and rings, and although the mesh is fine enough to protect against cuts, they are not padded at all, and others who have owned them have said they are practically useless for combat use, as strikes to the hands will still lead to injury due to blunt trauma. I was looking for something similar, though.

Thanks,
Alan
Gabriele A. Pini

PostPosted: Sun 07 Feb, 2010 1:36 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

I think the best option is doing them yourself, like Felix suggested. You can pad them as much as you want, with the right steel that suit yourself and your combat style, and even special addition (steel, kevlar, etc.). I have see even mail gauntlets started with gloves for motorcycles.
In my company someone prefer very light undergloves, to maximize flexibility, but I prefer heavly underpadder ones.
If you need help to start mailing you have only to ask...
Alan Schiff
Industry Professional

PostPosted: Mon 08 Feb, 2010 12:31 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Thanks everyone for your input. After thinking about it more, I think I might be better off with Wisby-style gauntlets. Personally I generally prefer mail to plate, but I really want to make sure I don't mess up my hands, and would feel safer with rigid steel protection.

That being said, does anyone know where to get budget Wisby gauntlets? The only ones I've seen were prohibitively expensive. Unfortunately as a poor college student, I don't have a large budget ($200 at most) for gauntlets. So if anyone knows of a pair for that price or under, I'd appreciate it.

Alternatively, I can add the cuffs myself, and really only need the hand of the gauntlet. If anyone can point me to a different pair of gauntlets that I could modify into a Wisby style, that would work too. I was thinking about trying to work with the GDFB Churburg gauntlets, since the fingers are very similar to the Merc's Tailor Wisby gauntlets. Do you think those would work?

Thanks for all your help,
Alan
Felix R.

PostPosted: Mon 08 Feb, 2010 12:35 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Yo can have a look at the bestarmour webpage. But the thing with Visby gauntlets is, that those involve a lot of fiddling with small pieces and a lot of riveting. This is what makes them expensive.
David Teague

PostPosted: Mon 08 Feb, 2010 1:11 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Alan Schiff wrote:
Thanks guys. I was originally looking at getting steel gauntlets, but was hoping that I could find a mail alternative for cheaper. I was able to find some information that David Teague wrote about making his own mail gloves by attaching fine mail to a padded sparring glove. Even with the padding, he said his hands were still more vulnerable than if he wore steel gauntlets. That being the case, I'll go back to my original plan with steel.

David Teague? Hey, that's me! Wink

Fingers... look half way down the page

Visby gauntlet kits thread I'd make my own wrist plates and only buy the fingers & backs of hands

Cheers,

The Real David Teague...

P.S. Stay away from the GDFB Churburg gauntlets... I rebuilt a pair and they were a lot of work and still aren't all that good.

This you shall know, that all things have length and measure.

Free Scholar/ Instructor Selohaar Fechtschule
The Historic Recrudescence Guild

"Yea though I walk through the valley of death, I will fear no evil: for Thou's sword art is with me; Thy poleaxe and Thy quarterstaff they comfort me."
Alan Schiff
Industry Professional

PostPosted: Mon 08 Feb, 2010 2:13 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Thanks Felix. Unfortunately, the gauntlets at bestarmour are more than my budget.

David, thanks for the links. Do you know if the rfth fingers come with the entire back of the hand? It says they come with knuckles, but I wasn't sure what that means exactly.

Thanks again,
Alan
Alan Schiff
Industry Professional

PostPosted: Mon 08 Feb, 2010 3:06 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

I took another look around for gauntlets that I might be able to modify and found a couple that are in my price range. Has anyone heard of or ordered from wither of these sites?

http://medieval-chain-mail-armor.com/armor-gauntlets.htm

http://wholesalearmor.com/SCALEDGAUNTLETS.html

Thanks,
Alan
Scott Hrouda

Reading list: 87 books

PostPosted: Mon 08 Feb, 2010 3:10 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

David Teague wrote:
P.S. Stay away from the GDFB Churburg gauntlets... I rebuilt a pair and they were a lot of work and still aren't all that good.

Thanks for that bit of information David. You just described what I was planning on doing this spring! Could you provide a "mini-review" of the GDFB Churburg gauntlets for the forum?

...and that, my liege, is how we know the Earth to be banana shaped. - Sir Bedevere
Felix R.

PostPosted: Tue 09 Feb, 2010 10:26 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Alan Schiff wrote:
I took another look around for gauntlets that I might be able to modify and found a couple that are in my price range. Has anyone heard of or ordered from wither of these sites?

http://medieval-chain-mail-armor.com/armor-gauntlets.htm

http://wholesalearmor.com/SCALEDGAUNTLETS.html

Thanks,
Alan

From the looks of it and the term "gernerous" in the shape I would advise to stay away from those. Better safe more money and buy the real thing, or just do some maille mufflers with hidden plates.
Alan Schiff
Industry Professional

PostPosted: Tue 09 Feb, 2010 11:27 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Thanks Felix, that was my thought too, but I was hoping someone had experience with them.

At this point, I may end up just trying my hand at making a Wisby style gauntlet using steel over leather like the Best Armour design.

Thanks again,
Alan
Sam Gordon Campbell

PostPosted: Tue 09 Feb, 2010 8:28 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Well I've been working on one for use in my HEMA group (Stoccata) for when I eventualy get onto some I.33.
Basicaly, I'm not sure what the SCA-ish regulations are where you are, but as far as I've been told, the muffler I've made is legal... Mostly.
It's just butted wire (same old, same old), but done in a "Double Maille" sort of way. So instead of 4'n1 it's 8'n2 if that makes any sense.
I've got some "Making Of..." type videos up on here: http://www.youtube.com/user/SamGCampbell

Attachment: 76.64 KB
Picture 1.jpg
Just thought I'd post this real quick.

Member of Australia's Stoccata School of Defence since 2008.
Host of Crash Course HEMA.
Founder of The Van Dieman's Land Stage Gladiators.

Forum Index > Off-topic Talk > Where to buy mail gauntlets?
Page 1 of 1 Reply to topic