Info Favorites Register Log in
myArmoury.com Discussion Forums

Forum index Memberlist Usergroups Spotlight Topics Search
Forum Index > Historical Arms Talk > How the visor of the helmet be fixed when it's raised? Reply to topic
This is a standard topic  
Mrak E.Smith

PostPosted: Sun 07 Feb, 2010 1:46 am    Post subject: How the visor of the helmet be fixed when it's raised?         Reply with quote

In later armet and close helmet, there's lifting peg for raising the visor and hook for fastening the bevor from being lifted, but still not a sign for fixing these pieces when it's lifted and the helmet is open, not to metion the simple and austere bascinet and sallet.
So ,as illustrated in manuscripts, there were knights fighting with raised visor, won't a single nod or bumping on horseback drop the visor unintentionally if there's no device to fasten it up?
Peter Lyon
Industry Professional

Reading list: 39 books

PostPosted: Sun 07 Feb, 2010 9:35 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Yes, dropping of the visor is a problem I have with my hounskull basnet, but it only happens if I move suddenly in the saddle. The trick seems to be in getting the tension just right in the pivots, too loose and it won't stay open, too tight and it is hard to move. I've thought about adding a support, but resisted so far because it doesn't appear on the originals, and quite late on other helmets (maybe into the 16th century?). I assume they put up with the same issues - not sure why, as it would not have been difficult to add a prop. Maybe someone more knowledgeable on armouring can help here.
Still hammering away
Jeff Kaisla

Reading list: 9 books

PostPosted: Sun 07 Feb, 2010 10:14 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Try installing a spring clip.
Daniel Sullivan

PostPosted: Sun 07 Feb, 2010 10:32 am    Post subject: Visor props         Reply with quote

Have often wondered about this as it seems to me that there had to be some problems. With the basinets, sallets, etc. it is evident that friction/proper adjustment was the key; reinforced by hope and wishful thinking.

There are helmets still in existence that have such props. They are mostly of German origin, both close helmets and armets and generally appear to be from the early part of the 16th century. Some later and better quality helmets had adjustable pivot (nuts and threads).

Regards,
Dan
James Arlen Gillaspie
Industry Professional

PostPosted: Mon 08 Feb, 2010 9:33 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

This schaller in the Met (NYC) has a visor prop, but it is the only one I have ever seen that did.

Attachment: 153.32 KB
[ Download ]

jamesarlen.com
Sean Flynt

Reading list: 13 books

Spotlight topics: 7

PostPosted: Mon 08 Feb, 2010 9:38 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

I suspect that the common practice of wearing scarves or "turbans" on sallets might be related to securing the visor. When the visor is meant to be worn up for an extended time, the scarf could be worn under it to prevent it from fully closing.

http://www.myArmoury.com/talk/viewtopic.php?t...ight=scarf

-Sean

Author of the Little Hammer novel

https://www.amazon.com/Little-Hammer-Sean-Flynt/dp/B08XN7HZ82/ref=sr_1_1?dchild=1&keywords=little+hammer+book&qid=1627482034&sr=8-1

Forum Index > Historical Arms Talk > How the visor of the helmet be fixed when it's raised?
Page 1 of 1 Reply to topic