Info Favorites Register Log in
myArmoury.com Discussion Forums

Forum index Memberlist Usergroups Spotlight Topics Search
Forum Index > Historical Arms Talk > Hanwei "Tinker" Viking Sword Sharp.. peened tang or no? Reply to topic
This is a standard topic  
Christopher Citty

PostPosted: Wed 03 Feb, 2010 8:49 pm    Post subject: Hanwei "Tinker" Viking Sword Sharp.. peened tang o         Reply with quote

I've been considering this sword for a while as a cutter, and product descriptions as well as some reviews claim it has a peened tang, however I have been unable to find a single image anywhere that shows the pommel in such a way that I can verify this is the case.

I'm just wondering if anyone has the Hanwei "Tinker" Viking Sword, or has seen it, and can tell me if the tang is indeed peened over? Or, links to a good image that shows this?

I'm asking because I have no history with Hanwei, and I've been burned on sword buys before. So I'd rather get some opinions from others before spending money.

Thanks in advance.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger ICQ Number
Neil Schiff

PostPosted: Wed 03 Feb, 2010 9:08 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

It is indeed peened. One of the better sword buys out right now, especially with the newly reduced prices at several retailers.
Ken Speed

PostPosted: Wed 03 Feb, 2010 9:20 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

I bought the Hanwei Tinker Viking sword recently. Yes, It does have a peened pommel although from the appearance of the peening I'd be happy if I never have to trust my life to it. My guess is that it will take me more time to clamp the sword in my vice and assemble the tools to remove the hilt than it will take to actually remove the hilt.

The only sword I can compare it to is my Albion Knud because it is the only other sword I own. This is, of course, a very unfair comparison considering the relative costs of the two swords. I have not been able to do any cutting with the HT Viking due to wintry New England weather but the sword itself feels remarkably good. I'm not overly impressed with the hilt overall but that seems to be the common trait of all the HT swords according to what I've read here. The hilt is too long and the core of the grip is too square. Others have said the leather wrap is poor but they're probably more knowledgeable than am I. The blade seems quite serviceable although the machining isn't up to the standards of the Knud. Other than the shortcomings of the hilt the sword feels good in the hand and well balanced.

My plan is to use it as a project sword and change the hilt drastically although the new hilt will be appropriate for the blade.

I think this sword is a tremendous value. I suppose I could have purchased the replacement blade for a bit less but then I'd have had to construct a scabbard from scratch, something I didn't want to do with this sword.
Neil Schiff

PostPosted: Thu 04 Feb, 2010 8:10 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

I actually did buy the bare blade and had custom fittings made (guard and pommel, I will be making the grip myself). I will also be trying my hand at scabbard-making, as the included one didn't seem viking-y enough to me, anyway. The blade itself is amazing, even without hilt components you can feel the balance and work that both Tinker and Hanwei went to in designing/creating it.

Forum Index > Historical Arms Talk > Hanwei "Tinker" Viking Sword Sharp.. peened tang or no?
Page 1 of 1 Reply to topic