Info Favorites Register Log in
myArmoury.com Discussion Forums

Forum index Memberlist Usergroups Spotlight Topics Search
Forum Index > Off-topic Talk > Shipping a sword Reply to topic
This is a standard topic  
T. Hamilton

PostPosted: Mon 01 Feb, 2010 9:54 am    Post subject: Shipping a sword         Reply with quote

I've noted we have quite a bit of action on our "Marketplace" board, and that got me thinking. When shipping a sword, are there any preferred methods of packaging, carriers, insurance, etc.? Also, are there any local/federal laws you need to worry about (ie, is a sword considered a weapon, or a collectable, or whatever) assuming you're just shipping within the U.S.?
Addison C. de Lisle

PostPosted: Mon 01 Feb, 2010 10:36 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

I sold a sword a few years ago to someone through or in Canada (I don't remember which). I packaged it inside rolled-up newsprint, wrapped the pommel and hilt in foam, put the wrapped blade in a tube, and put the whole thing in a box. I sent it through the USPS, labeled as "handmade decorative metalwork" (for customs). I had no problems, and it cost me about $30.00

Initially I had brought it into a FedEx shop unwrapped and asked them to ship it and they told me it would cost around $200.

This has been my only experience shipping a sword though; I'm sure others can give you a more detailed answer.

www.addisondelisle.com
Toke Krebs Niclasen

PostPosted: Mon 01 Feb, 2010 10:50 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

I have seen purpose made cardboard boxes with hard foam with cut outs for blade and handle, and a foam piece at each end.

Some page or other charged $25 for shipping in a gun case.
My example of gun cases are like flimsy suitcases of irregular shape with soft foam inside, The sword can slide around inside unless tip and handle is wrapped in something to bring the diameter up to being pressed hard between the foam layers.

I imagine America as close to hip deep in gun cases and other firearms supplies.
Michael Ahrens

PostPosted: Mon 01 Feb, 2010 12:21 pm    Post subject: Re: Shipping a sword         Reply with quote

T.Hamiltom.

over the last 5 years or so i have shipped quite a few swords. when available i ship in the original box. when i ship a sword i no longer have a box for, i ship in plastic rifle cases. most good sporting goods stores will have them for around
$20.00. the one thing I can tell you, is that for some reason at least here in NYC is that they do not like the word sword. They don't like knife, rifle, gun, weapon.(they don't like weapons here in NYC) so when i ship I put on the shipping paper work "Medieval Wall Decoration" the cleck at UPS says there is a company no weapons policy. however i know people in other parts of the country that have never run into this and think i am crazy. so if this is of any help, you are welcome.

Mike

T. Hamilton wrote:
I've noted we have quite a bit of action on our "Marketplace" board, and that got me thinking. When shipping a sword, are there any preferred methods of packaging, carriers, insurance, etc.? Also, are there any local/federal laws you need to worry about (ie, is a sword considered a weapon, or a collectable, or whatever) assuming you're just shipping within the U.S.?

Mike Ahrens
http://www.selohaar.org/

Staten Island German Martial Arts (S.I.G.M.A.)
http://www.sigmanewyork.webs.com/

Member of the 1st Universal Church of St. John Cantius Garand, Reformed (Gas Port)
Sean Flynt

Reading list: 13 books

Spotlight topics: 7

PostPosted: Mon 01 Feb, 2010 12:44 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Your local carpet store will have dumpsters full of long, thick cardboard tubing, which can be helpful for polearms and swords that can be dismantled. Just shipped a polearm in one of those and got back a dismantled longsword in the same tube. Don't buy boxes. A refrigerator or other large appliance box is easily modified. Check a Lowe's dumpster.

Just pack both ends with balled newspaper. If there's no scabbard, protect the point very well, as mentioned above. Be careful with cute descriptions of the contents. Best to just declare "sword" when asked about the contents for insurance purposes. If your "decorative metalwork" emerges from the bottom of the box and opens somebody's ulnar artery, you might have some 'splainin' to do.

I've never had any problem with shipping swords via UPS. At this point in our history, I think they aren't necessarily perceived to be weapons.

Oh, and keep EVERY sword box that comes to you, bubble wrap and all. When you need one, just pop the seams, turn it inside out and tape shut again for a brand-new box.

-Sean

Author of the Little Hammer novel

https://www.amazon.com/Little-Hammer-Sean-Flynt/dp/B08XN7HZ82/ref=sr_1_1?dchild=1&keywords=little+hammer+book&qid=1627482034&sr=8-1
T. Hamilton

PostPosted: Mon 01 Feb, 2010 1:01 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Thank you all for your advice so far. Another question: Are you required to verify the age of your buyer, and if so, how? I would hate for some kid to accidently decapitate someone while living out his "Gladiator" fantasy with the sword I just mailed him Wink !
Colt Reeves

PostPosted: Mon 01 Feb, 2010 1:11 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Save the box your sword comes in so you can reuse it? What is this of what you speak? Do you not know it is traditional to make the box in which it came the first cutting target for your new toy?!?!? Laughing Out Loud
Sean Flynt

Reading list: 13 books

Spotlight topics: 7

PostPosted: Mon 01 Feb, 2010 1:45 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

I've never been asked about the age of the recipient.
-Sean

Author of the Little Hammer novel

https://www.amazon.com/Little-Hammer-Sean-Flynt/dp/B08XN7HZ82/ref=sr_1_1?dchild=1&keywords=little+hammer+book&qid=1627482034&sr=8-1
Maurizio D'Angelo

Reading list: 3 books

PostPosted: Mon 01 Feb, 2010 3:06 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

If you send outside the United States and informed of the rules of the recipient country.
Some countries have very strange rules.
For a shipment of a sword Italy-United States I find it strange the cost $ 285 with UPS Eek!

Ciao
Maurizio
T. Hamilton

PostPosted: Mon 01 Feb, 2010 4:51 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Maurizio D'Angelo wrote:
If you send outside the United States and informed of the rules of the recipient country.
Some countries have very strange rules.
For a shipment of a sword Italy-United States I find it strange the cost $ 285 with UPS Eek!

$285, ouch! If I ever sell one, I think I'll stick to the continental U.S. Eek!

Forum Index > Off-topic Talk > Shipping a sword
Page 1 of 1 Reply to topic