Info Favorites Register Log in
myArmoury.com Discussion Forums

Forum index Memberlist Usergroups Spotlight Topics Search
Forum Index > Historical Arms Talk > Any help will be appreciated Reply to topic
This is a standard topic  
Brandon Labonte

PostPosted: Thu 28 Jan, 2010 7:31 am    Post subject: Any help will be appreciated         Reply with quote

A friend of mine gave me this sword about 3 years ago. I have talked to a couple of people and was told that it is German/NW African WW1. I have searched everywhere and can't get any more information. If anyone can help me with identifying this sword please let me know. Thanks.

Attachment: 132.95 KB
[ Download ]

Attachment: 152.74 KB
[ Download ]

Attachment: 152.94 KB
[ Download ]
A. Spanjer

PostPosted: Thu 28 Jan, 2010 7:47 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

I have no idea, other than that it's probably from the late 19 to early 20th century and the scabbard does look African. It could be older, but I doubt it, and probably not before the 18th century.

It's a really neat piece, where did your friend aquire it?
Brandon Labonte

PostPosted: Fri 29 Jan, 2010 11:26 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

A. Spanjer wrote:
I have no idea, other than that it's probably from the late 19 to early 20th century and the scabbard does look African. It could be older, but I doubt it, and probably not before the 18th century.

It's a really neat piece, where did your friend aquire it?

It was found in a house that was sold to him and he knew that I collected knives and swords and gave it to me. I would love to get more info on it but there aren't many people in my area that know much about them.
Adam D. Kent-Isaac

Reading list: 2 books

Spotlight topics: 1

PostPosted: Fri 29 Jan, 2010 11:38 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

It's a vicious looking blade, and I really dig it. You definitely have a great piece there, and the scabbard is awesome. What exactly did your friend mean when he said "German/NW African"? Was he saying that it was a German sword, a North African sword, or what? Germany colonized Camaroon in the late 1800s, and during World War I it was attacked by Britain and France. Germany also held Togo, which was again captured by the Allies. There was definitely fighting there and I would think, by the exotic design of the scabbard, that it belonged to a native African, maybe fighting for the Germans. I am under the impression that there were many irregulars in Africa at the service of various colonial powers.
Pastime With Good Company
Brandon Labonte

PostPosted: Fri 29 Jan, 2010 4:58 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Adam D. Kent-Isaac wrote:
It's a vicious looking blade, and I really dig it. You definitely have a great piece there, and the scabbard is awesome. What exactly did your friend mean when he said "German/NW African"? Was he saying that it was a German sword, a North African sword, or what? Germany colonized Camaroon in the late 1800s, and during World War I it was attacked by Britain and France. Germany also held Togo, which was again captured by the Allies. There was definitely fighting there and I would think, by the exotic design of the scabbard, that it belonged to a native African, maybe fighting for the Germans. I am under the impression that there were many irregulars in Africa at the service of various colonial powers.

Thanks for the valuable info... he pretty much said what you just said, it was made by African and used by Germany. I really wish I could find another one like it on the internet so that I will know more about it, I would like to get it appraised but don't know of any appraiser in my area. Thanks again.
Paul Hansen

PostPosted: Sat 30 Jan, 2010 12:11 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

It's a really interesting and nice looking piece!

Are there any markings on the blade whatsoever? If it's European-made, then there should be some kind of maker's mark, and if it was used by some official army, then there would also be some serial number, armoury marking or some such.
Norman McCormick

PostPosted: Sat 30 Jan, 2010 12:53 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Hi,
This is a native made representation of a European sword. If there are no identifying marks on the blade that would suggest a European import/trade blade then it along with the furniture will be locally made. It comes from the Mande/Mandingo people of West Africa and is probably late/early 19/20th C. The scabbards of Manding swords are distinctive and follow the general design of this one although there are probably decorative elements missing re the cut/broken cords on the scabbard face. Hope this helps.
Regards,
Norman.
Anders Backlund

PostPosted: Sat 30 Jan, 2010 3:49 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

I like that scabbard. Would love to know how they're made.
The sword is an ode to the strife of mankind.

"This doesn't look easy... but I bet it is!"
-Homer Simpson.

Forum Index > Historical Arms Talk > Any help will be appreciated
Page 1 of 1 Reply to topic