Info Favorites Register Log in
myArmoury.com Discussion Forums

Forum index Memberlist Usergroups Spotlight Topics Search
Forum Index > Off-topic Talk > MMAC-Medieval Men at Arms Comabt Reply to topic
This is a standard topic  
Christopher VaughnStrever

Reading list: 1 book

PostPosted: Fri 29 Jan, 2010 6:47 am    Post subject: MMAC-Medieval Men at Arms Comabt         Reply with quote

The primary question here is… Do you have any suggestions for me?

I was originally going to wait in order to include more details about the group known as the MMAC; Medieval Men at Arms Combat. However, since this company of people here from myArmoury.com have helped me to attain an acute understanding of history; I would like to further learn of the insight and suggestions many of you have; in order to put forth a mature group with a proper goal to achieve.

I am scheduling the start of the group to commence in May- June of 2010. Currently I have not began to market or make the MMAC known locally. Here in Texas… Dallas and Houston each have historical groups respectively while San Antonio does not. I would like to start a historical organization in San Antonio.

The primary teachings (At the least to start) will be from the art of the pollaxe. Then to move onto other avenues such as wrestling and dagger use. Then up towards the use of swords. The art of the pollaxe will be the main focus of the group. That is before the other items are to be taught.

The goal of the MMAC is armored combat. I will be wearing a full suit of armor for every class held. I will step in, so that people may train (In certain attacks) against an armored opponent; this will be in conjunction with the following information. I have also established, created, and crafted a specific “training arm” so that students are able to perform a series of attacks while being able to move from training arm to training arm and have myself interject as an opponent. I would like to teach, not simply to perform the precise attack, though to be able to use that attack while moving about sort-to-speak. Just a realistic situation would occur.

I desire to produce an organization such that historical accuracy of the teaching is fore most, yet holds a continuing open mind to learn something we have not learned before. Not to allow a persons mind to think they are dominate in all knowledge, but to realize we are all learning something new each day. I will not allow the MMAC to become a group known for bickering or discontent. The purpose amongst the afore mentioned; is to attain a peaceable setting (Of people within the group) amongst learning an art of warfare.

One aspect that I will be interjecting is to allow anyone to come and see the presentation and/or teachings. Only members will receive the intimate training from the teacher. Thus a group with members, yet can be enjoyed by anyone.

As the first question posed… Do you have any suggestions for me to improve and make adjustments to lead such a group? If you have any questions for me, please ask. I find that if I have not been asked a question, I will not be prepared to answer the question in the future.

Thank you all for the continued help.

Experience and learning from such defines maturity, not a number of age
Greg Coffman

Reading list: 4 books

PostPosted: Fri 29 Jan, 2010 7:05 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Are you saying that there are already MMAC groups in Houston and Dallas and you want to start a third one in San Antonio? Or are you saying that there are already WMA/HEMA/RMA groups in Dallas and Houston and you want to start MMAC in San Antonio? [BTW, there are also ARMA groups in Abilene and Austin].

Poleaxe, and armored combat in general, seems an odd place to start with teaching. Most all of the skill, abilities, techniques, principles, etc. to be used in harnissfechten were first taught in blossfechten and most with longsword. Even the poleaxe sees quite a bit of instruction time out of armor. The fight masters must have taught it that way for a reason. And it is hard to get a feel of how to fight in harness without actually wearing a harness, which of course is fairly expensive. To each his own, I guess.

For the word of God is living and active. Sharper than any double-edged sword, it penetrates even to dividing soul and spirit, joints and marrow; it judges the thoughts and attitudes of the heart.
-Hebrews 4:12
William Goodwin

Reading list: 20 books

PostPosted: Fri 29 Jan, 2010 7:11 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

you may wish to have a look at and join the new formed HEMA Alliance for support to the group.

http://hemaalliance.com/

cheers,

Bill

Roanoke Sword Guilde

roanokeswordguilde@live.com
"I was born for this" - Joan of Arc

PostPosted: Fri 29 Jan, 2010 8:39 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Greg Coffman
Quote:
there are already WMA/HEMA/RMA groups in Dallas and Houston and you want to start MMAC in San Antonio?

Thats the one. I did forget about the groups there in Austin. Though in connection with a response to Mr. Goodwin I have looked into ARMA and HEMA communtity. As of right now and the recent past. I have no desire to join into the HEMA or ARMA community. I feel these groups have a certain feel to them that I am not attracted to in any way. I want to provide something more pleasent in accord with the MMAC (I am not saying anything bad about HEMA or ARMA, each group of any kind has a different atmosphere. Just like every family is different) I for one want to (personally and MMAC) stay seperate from them at this time (You never know, things may change down the road)

To answer the second paragraph by Mr. Coffman, I currently have a deeper (and growing) understanding of the use of the pollaxe. I want to be as historically accurate as I can within my abilitlies. The pollaxe may be odd to start, though the pollaxe is an art unto itself, though as you mentioned does have traits from other teachings. Currently my abilitlies stand in the pollaxe. I have not studied the sword to any degree and thus cannot comment on that aspect of the kunst des fechten. As you mentioned the poleaxe does have use out of armor. To povide a student with the atmosphere (i.e. a man in a suit of armor) of learning an art of medieval history (I feel) will aid them to have a more historical value to the reality of the art. As the student trains (out of armor) if he did decide to begin to buy armor. Then his learning curve would be much more acute then if he had never learned at all.

I guess as it seems, I want to introduce people to the history we all know. I want to do so, without the history channel atmosphere of false teachings.

James Head

PostPosted: Fri 29 Jan, 2010 9:28 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Christopher VaughnStrever wrote:
As of right now and the recent past. I have no desire to join into the HEMA or ARMA community. I feel these groups have a certain feel to them that I am not attracted to in any way. I want to provide something more pleasent in accord with the MMAC (I am not saying anything bad about HEMA or ARMA, each group of any kind has a different atmosphere.

I think you meant "HEMA Alliance". Most people think HEMA means Historical European Martial Arts in general, which IS what you are interested in teaching. By the way, what Pollaxe source will focus on?

PostPosted: Fri 29 Jan, 2010 10:44 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Ah, thank you James. I will be sure to make that distinction of HEMA Alliance and HEMA.

Le Jeu De La Hache will be the main focus of the teachings for the primary classes. Along with perhaps a second class (Sort-to-speak) on Hans Talhoffer I have instructions that apply principles from other sources including, though not limited to Paulus Kal and Leichtenauer. I am currently putting much work into the precise structure of teaching with strict regard to keep such lessons and priciples seperate or couped together.

This is one situation I do not have a fully fixed decision made. I do know that no matter the outcome I will always cite to the students exactly what is taught, whom the material is originally from, and which manuscrit the material was taken from.[/code]

Bill Grandy
myArmoury Team

myArmoury Team

Reading list: 43 books

Spotlight topics: 2

PostPosted: Fri 29 Jan, 2010 11:09 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Hi Christopher,
Good on you for taking the plunge into the world of western martial arts. Happy

The best advice I can give you is to try to make it to some sort of WMA event if you can. For example, there's the 4W event coming up: http://www.4wseattle.com/

(I realize its probably short notice for you to attend that specific one, though I bring it up as a potential example of the type of event you may consider going to in the future.)

If the event has *any* class dealing with the Liechtenauer tradition, whether poleaxe or not, you should go. Poleaxe wasn't taught in isolation, and the more you learn about the tradition as a whole, the better you will understand the poleaxe. Also, going to any of these events will allow you to talk shop with like-minded people which can help broaden your horizons to various different approaches and help you develop your own curriculum.

Good luck!

HistoricalHandcrafts.com
-Inspired by History, Crafted by Hand

"For practice is better than artfulness. Your exercise can do well without artfulness, but artfulness is not much good without the exercise.” -anonymous 15th century fencing master, MS 3227a

PostPosted: Fri 29 Jan, 2010 2:12 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Bill, thank you for that link. I am planning to attend one if not atleast two events such as you mentioned. Currently I do not have concrete plans to attend. I would like to be a bit more educated on understanding the studies of Leichtenauer and Talhoffer (and refined in a few other areas) So that when I do attend such an event. I will be able to have some refined questions to inquire about and be able to catch-on to the lessons much more fluently.

Forum Index > Off-topic Talk > MMAC-Medieval Men at Arms Comabt
Page 1 of 1 Reply to topic