Info Favorites Register Log in
myArmoury.com Discussion Forums

Forum index Memberlist Usergroups Spotlight Topics Search
Forum Index > Historical Arms Talk > Brigandine Decisions... Reply to topic
This is a standard topic  
Robert S. Haile

PostPosted: Wed 27 Jan, 2010 6:49 pm    Post subject: Brigandine Decisions...         Reply with quote

Well folks, I posted my 75% complete kit recently over in the Kits and Harnesses thread. After hearing a few peoples suggestions I've almost decided to grab myself a brigandine instead of the globose breastplate I originally planned. I do, however, have a few questions about the matter. I'm portraying an early 15th century English Knight (Lesser noble) on foot, and I will be covering whichever torso armor I choose with a surcoat, and wearing a mail skirt from the waist down. I've been scanning through period art and effigies but I can't find out whether this is appropriate attire for a knight. Were brigandines worn beneath heraldic surcoats?

The kit has a few placeholders, such as the costumey belt and MRL sword. I have a more appropriate sword, belts, and hourglass gauntlets in the works.

Here's a few pictures for reference...

Thanks guys.
Robert S. Haile

PostPosted: Thu 28 Jan, 2010 10:14 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

As an update, I'm looking to obtain a wasp waisted look whichever way I go. I'm choosing this because it seems to be the common looks of knights of the era, and being 19, I've got a lean build that lends itself to this sort of look. Can anyone recommend where I might obtain a brigandine of this sort, and what it is called?

Scott Hrouda

Reading list: 87 books

PostPosted: Thu 28 Jan, 2010 10:56 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

19 years old with a kit like that! Surprised Good work.

Be sure to allow for "expansion" around the middle if you plan on fighting for many years. Wink

There are a ton of brigandine makers and parts suppliers, too many to list. Search the links on this forum and just plain old google "brigandine armour".

...and that, my liege, is how we know the Earth to be banana shaped. - Sir Bedevere
Robert S. Haile

PostPosted: Thu 28 Jan, 2010 11:07 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Thanks Scott, I've already emailed the armorer I use about constructing a custom one. I appreciate your reply in your thread as well, lacing the mail skirt to the gambeson had never occurred to me. I'll probably be going with the simple ol' belt though.

Edit:

I have decided on a brigandine similar to this...

It would seem that the running price on something like it is 700 dollars. Which is well above what I am able to pay. The hunt continues...
Kel Rekuta

PostPosted: Thu 28 Jan, 2010 12:56 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

First, my compliments on gathering so much fine kit so early in your life. Seriously its quite remarkable.

Second, where did you get that helmet and what is it supposed to be?

Third, I strongly recommend against that particular design of corazzina - brigandine. The faulds are completely wrong based on a travesty of armour "reworking" performed in the 1920's or 30's. Faulds should be horizontal lames as seen in the few remaining pieces and numerous illustrations from the period. If you ever tried to ride in it you'll know why. Look elsewhere.

Finally - How much do you think all that shaping and fitting work is worth? I can assure you that type of construction requires forty to fifty hours of relatively skilled and experienced labour. A simple globose breastplate will protect you as well for most recreation sports. You might find one ready to strap on for less than $300.

Good luck with your kit. You have a fantastic start!
Robert S. Haile

PostPosted: Thu 28 Jan, 2010 1:05 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Very reasonable. Really what I was trying to obtain is something that would give the waisted look under a surcoat, and be reasonable protection as well. It appears that I'm probably going to have to go for a globose breastplate instead now.

The bascinet is a helm that can be found in a few illuminated manuscripts. It's more a combination of visor and bascinet types that were known to exist, but to my knowledge there are no surviving examples of a similar dome and visor combined. Overall the helm is believeable, but ultimately invention as far as I know. It was made by Maxim Suprovich of Wild Armoury I couldn't resist having it made in place of a typical houndskull or klappvisor.
Robert S. Haile

PostPosted: Thu 28 Jan, 2010 4:53 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Thanks for pointing that out about the corrazinna I posted. What you're saying makes perfect sense. I would really like one styled as per St. Michael's....here...

Ultimately this image...Is the effect I'm trying to achieve with the gipon and torso armor. If a globose breastplate would allow for this, I'm all for it. Unless there is another kind of armor I'm over looking.

In addition, here is a profile view of my bascinet for those of you curious about it.

Joe Fults

PostPosted: Thu 28 Jan, 2010 6:20 pm    Post subject: Brigandine threads that might be helpful         Reply with quote

http://www.myArmoury.com/talk/viewtopic.php?t...brigandine

http://www.myArmoury.com/talk/viewtopic.php?t...mp;start=0

"The goal shouldn’t be to avoid being evil; it should be to actively do good." - Danah Boyd
Robert S. Haile

PostPosted: Thu 28 Jan, 2010 9:07 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Thanks for all the links...but it appears that I'm going to be going with a globose breastplate of some sort because of the expense of a corrazzina. I believe the waisted shape is created by the faulds that extend outward from the bottom, if so that's what I'm looking for.
Sam Gordon Campbell

PostPosted: Fri 29 Jan, 2010 12:11 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Oh man, I'm so jealous Worried
I've barely got my 10th/11th Century kit off the ground and I feel like I'm old Eek!
I think I've seen that type of helmet 'style' in a few manuscript pics I've pinched from here and there.
Looks awesome.
You could go a 'munitions grade' type globosecuirasss with sweet faulds since you're intention is to have it covered most of the time right? That take the price down a bit maybe.
Oh, and when you're done, you'd better post some sweet high rez pictures.
Mate, so good it's going in my "This Is Why I Need Money" folder of things I want. Laughing Out Loud
So cool.

Attachment: 34.02 KB
1244815553899.jpg
My face upon seeing that kit...

Member of Australia's Stoccata School of Defence since 2008.
Host of Crash Course HEMA.
Founder of The Van Dieman's Land Stage Gladiators.
Kel Rekuta

PostPosted: Fri 29 Jan, 2010 7:20 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Robert S. Haile wrote:
Thanks for all the links...but it appears that I'm going to be going with a globose breastplate of some sort because of the expense of a corrazzina. I believe the waisted shape is created by the faulds that extend outward from the bottom, if so that's what I'm looking for.

That is exactly how the "wasp" waist look is made. The narrowest part is slightly below your short ribs. The modern waist line at the hips is too low. You could buy a plain breastplate from "Rough from the Hammer" (under $100USD) and make the faulds yourself. It isn't brain surgery. Cover the whole thing in upholstery velvet or some light leather and you're done. Laughing Out Loud

(He says... laughing at how much work even that is.
Robert S. Haile

PostPosted: Fri 29 Jan, 2010 12:44 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

That's a very good idea you have there... I like it. I'm going to price out all my options here and see which ones are the best value. Thanks for the tip.
Robert S. Haile

PostPosted: Fri 29 Jan, 2010 11:52 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Also, Thanks everyone for you support of the kit. I'm very glad it's being so well approved of. It's taken a lot of planning a careful designing. I'll be sure to take some better quality pictures just as soon as I get the thing wrapped up. I guarantee that it will look twice as good.

Forum Index > Historical Arms Talk > Brigandine Decisions...
Page 1 of 1 Reply to topic