Info Favorites Register Log in
myArmoury.com Discussion Forums

Forum index Memberlist Usergroups Spotlight Topics Search

myArmoury.com is now completely member-supported. Please contribute to our efforts with a donation. Your donations will go towards updating our site, modernizing it, and keeping it viable long-term.
Last 10 Donors: Daniel Sullivan, Anonymous, Chad Arnow, Jonathan Dean, M. Oroszlany, Sam Arwas, Barry C. Hutchins, Dan Kary, Oskar Gessler, Dave Tonge (View All Donors)

Forum Index > Historical Arms Talk > Your first sword. Reply to topic
This is a standard topic Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next 
T. Hamilton

PostPosted: Sat 02 Jan, 2010 8:54 pm    Post subject: Your first sword.         Reply with quote

Since we have a thread going about what your last sword was, I thought I'd ask what was your first (and do you still have it?) Mine's a Del Tin 5140 I purchased in 1992, and I wouldn't part with it for anything. It's reviewed here:

http://www.myArmoury.com/review_dt5140.html

Konstantin Tsvetkov

PostPosted: Sat 02 Jan, 2010 10:30 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Mine is blunt training Duerer made by Pavel Moc. It is still in use.
Bradley Starkey

PostPosted: Sat 02 Jan, 2010 10:35 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Mine was a Windlass "Sword of Robert the Bruce". Still have it too.

It turned out to be a very good, solid little blade. Very quick, well balanced, and none of the construction issues that sometimes seem to be the downfall of otherwise promising MRL swords. It's still one of my favorites.
Timo Nieminen

Reading list: 1 book

PostPosted: Sat 02 Jan, 2010 11:19 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Flea-market Indian junky tourist sabre, about $10 back in the mid/late '80s. Parted company with the welded-rod tang long ago. I still use it on occasion for killing cane toads (an imported destructive pest common in this area). Also provided cheap education in (a) 3 feet of steel can make you bleed when sharpening it, so be careful, and (b) scabbard re-covering. Also have a wall-hanger class spearhead from about the same time.

First "proper" sword (as in non-wallhanger) I got was a katana (Taiwanese?), back in '89 or '90. Reasonable quality stainless steel blade. Plastic tsuka, plain steel fittings, crappy wrap. Remounted c. 1993 as a pseudo-shashka, silk-covered scabbard. Unmounted it about 2 months ago, ground some damage from the tip, re-shaped the tip, and will remount it, perhaps in Chinese style.

Other early swords etc include a folded-steel Indonesian sword, a Khyber knife, few more katana c. 1990, and a bill head.
Michael B.
Industry Professional

PostPosted: Sat 02 Jan, 2010 11:27 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

First sword was a $90 wall hanger, it's not in one piece anymore, stripped it for parts a while ago for a project. First "proper" sword was my mortuary hilt (blunt) from hanwei, still works, different handle, basket, and pommel now, and had the tang completely re-welded and properly done after if failed after three years of heavy use. But, it's still going strong!
www.facebook.com/bearmountainforge2
Michael Bergstrom
Roger Hooper

Spotlight topics: 4

PostPosted: Sun 03 Jan, 2010 12:05 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

My first sword was an MRL/Windlass XVa Black Prince Sword that looked a lot like its A&A equivalent. Surprisingly, it isn't that bad a sword. I used it for stage combat and nicked it all up. I still have it, but it's in the closet with a few other swords.
Julien M

Spotlight topics: 1

PostPosted: Sun 03 Jan, 2010 3:16 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

my first sword was the MRL Towton. It was great for a first sword, and years after I still find it to be a most elegant and well made weapon. I have sold it to on of my closest friend when I got an albion crecy, that way I can still pick it up and hold it whenever I visit him Happy I will have it back soon for a complete grip and scabbard revamp, and I'm looking forward to work on this sword again (they say one never forgets his first love, in that case it's quiet true Happy

Cheers,

J
A. Spanjer

PostPosted: Sun 03 Jan, 2010 6:37 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

My first sword is also my last sword- I just got it about a month ago!

It's a Hanwei Basket-Hilted Broadsword (antiqued.) I love it! It's a wonderful sword.

I'll post pics of it sometime...
Addison C. de Lisle

PostPosted: Sun 03 Jan, 2010 7:54 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

My first sword was an NG Albion Crecy, which I selected after about a year of looking at all the options online. I'm glad I waited Happy
www.addisondelisle.com
Viktor Johansson

PostPosted: Sun 03 Jan, 2010 8:13 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Don't have one yet, but I'm gonna order a Albion Talhoffer or Agincourt very soon, havent decided wich one yet.

The Talhoffer is only available with 'browned' finish to the fittings and I'm wating for reply with pictures of how it looks. Anyone knows? If i don't like the browned fittings I'll most likely buy an Agincourt with oxblood handle.
Josh Maxwell

PostPosted: Sun 03 Jan, 2010 9:19 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

My first sword I bought was a Generation 2 12th century sword. I love it to death even though the sword is overweight and it has a bad temper about 3/4 of the way down the blade. I still use it for cutting every now and again, five years of abuse, including being bent into a z shape after a bad cut, and its still going strong.
Nathan M Wuorio

Reading list: 3 books

PostPosted: Sun 03 Jan, 2010 11:26 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

The first sword I ever bought was a replica of the "Braveheart" sword while in Scotland on a trip (this was before the ban). I stripped it down sometime later and have attempted to strengthen the tang. I still have it in the shop somewhere.
Nathan.
Scott Kowalski

PostPosted: Sun 03 Jan, 2010 11:39 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

My first sword was an Atrim 1423 Type XIIIa with the cutlery work done by Christian Fletcher.

Chris Landwehr 10/10/49-1/1/09 My Mom
Sander Marechal

Reading list: 17 books

PostPosted: Sun 03 Jan, 2010 12:29 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

When I was 14 or so, my grandfather gave me his two Klewang swords that he used when he was serving in the Marechaussee. One is a ceremonial sword of a softer metal and a nice metal scabbard. Most of the sword and scabbard is nicely decorated and polished. The other one was the one he used on a daily basis. It's of a much harder steel and has a simple leather scabbard and wooden handgrip.

I still have both, but back then I didn't really know how to care for a sword. As a result, they are not in such good condition anymore. The blades are fine but the scabbards and basket hilts are in a much worse state. I'll need to fix that sometime soon.
Jeremy V. Krause

Reading list: 1 book

PostPosted: Sun 03 Jan, 2010 12:55 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Hi everybody!

You guys did very well compared to me! The first "sword" I owned was a "barbarian" sword from one of those mail catalogues in 93- I was 16 at the time. It had the general shape of the Conan sword and was $99- way to expensive! I was impressed by the description provided which mentioned how it was designed for the "hewing of flesh and bone."

So I promptly took it outside- struck a tree and it bent at a 90 degree angle- and the "hilt" became a rattling mass of soft brass and wood.

Thankfully, I wasn't killed and/or maimed! It was very sharp and very thin! You see back then they didn't tell you to do that! WTF?! Big Grin

My second thing was a starfire "dagger" which was more like a short club. I recently found it and threw it away- maybe I should have kept it. . . . (shrug)

From there I moved on to A&A and it has been clear sailing ever since. Cool

Now I am of the opinion that folks should completely avoid "entry" level swords as they will end up being frustrated by them in the future. This is just MHO though. Save that measly $100-200 and you wont own any thing that you regret spending your money on.
T Lui

PostPosted: Sun 03 Jan, 2010 1:45 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

My first "sword" would be an Indian-made fantasy wallhanger my ex-gf's stepdad bought me at a tourist trap while we were driving through the northeast on a family trip they all invited along for the holidays (good times, good times). Was a pretty gaudy thing looking back but it was the gesture that counts. I didn't bother to take it with me when me and my ex broke up though.

My first real sword would be a Cicada Forge / Fred Chen katana I bought off SFI. Was a pretty nice blade actually though the best part about it were the plum higo-style fuchi kashira by Patrick Hastings. Really nice work; ever since I've been a fan of his and similar fittings. Sadly I sold the sword before I joined the military since I couldn't take it with me.

Ever since wallhangers have been abandoned by the wayside (though my friends and coworkers did get me a nicely made, for a SLO, ninja sword as a going away gift when I left Japan; I still have it).
Jonathan Hopkins

PostPosted: Sun 03 Jan, 2010 2:08 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

My first sword was British Pattern 1796 infantry officer's sword. I bought it at a small antiques centre in Warwick, England while on a family vacation at the age of 14. From that point on my main interest has been British military swords of the 18th and 19th centuries.

B. Stark
Industry Professional

Reading list: 11 books

PostPosted: Sun 03 Jan, 2010 2:43 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Mine was a Del Tin 2143 which I purchased from Museum Replicas back in the mid eighties. Had that sword for almost 20 years. Can't remember who purchased it from me but it was in project state needing a new grip. It was somewhat different than the current offering.
"Wyrd bi∂ ful aręd"
Chris Lampe

PostPosted: Sun 03 Jan, 2010 2:52 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

My first sword was the one on the right. I had a couple of wall-hangers before but I don't count them.

Craig L.

PostPosted: Sun 03 Jan, 2010 3:52 pm    Post subject: Your first sword.         Reply with quote

My first sword was a Hanwei Practical Viking, which I still have.
The item that holds a lot more sentimental attachment for me, though, is my Jelling Dragon seax -- the piece that started this crazy hobby. Big Grin

Forum Index > Historical Arms Talk > Your first sword.
Page 1 of 6 Reply to topic
Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next All times are GMT - 8 Hours

View previous topic :: View next topic
Jump to: