Info Favorites Register Log in
myArmoury.com Discussion Forums

Forum index Memberlist Usergroups Spotlight Topics Search
Forum Index > Historical Arms Talk > Valiant Armory Norseman Reply to topic
This is a standard topic  
Tom King

PostPosted: Thu 31 Dec, 2009 4:20 pm    Post subject: Valiant Armory Norseman         Reply with quote

Does anyone know how well the norseman performs by valiant armory? How good are it's handling characteristics and cutting potential? Also any info on Valiant arms quality in general would also help. Windlass is just to shoddy to buy from anymore.

Attachment: 33.51 KB
54-103_new_viking.jpg

Last edited by Tom King on Thu 31 Dec, 2009 10:45 pm; edited 1 time in total
Gavin Kisebach

Spotlight topics: 1

PostPosted: Thu 31 Dec, 2009 7:39 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

I can't speak to handling, but something is just not right with the upper and lower guards. They look very chunky and almost chromed. WTF?!
There are only two kinds of scholars; those who love ideas and those who hate them. ~ Emile Chartier
Tom King

PostPosted: Thu 31 Dec, 2009 10:41 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Gavin Kisebach wrote:
I can't speak to handling, but something is just not right with the upper and lower guards. They look very chunky and almost chromed. WTF?!
the swords relatively short, at only 28", which is why it seems so chunky. The hilt and pommel aren't chromed. They're cast out of mild steel where as the blade is carbon steel.
Philip C. Ryan

PostPosted: Fri 01 Jan, 2010 1:29 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

I have to agree with Gavin . The pommel/hilt are a bit excessively oversized and thick. The web site lists the sword as weighing in at 4 lbs 3 oz. This is a bit over weight for a typical viking age blade which usually comes in around 2 1/2 to 3 lbs. If you are looking for a cutter, or for historical accuracy, I would suggest looking at some of the other numerous manufacturers/ smiths here on this site.

Here is the squire line Albion viking age sword. It comes in appx. $100 more than what you would pay for the Valiant sword, and is alot better quality (historical detail, fit, finish)

http://www.albion-swords.com/swords/albion/sq...viking.htm

Look through the reviews on this site and you will be able to locate other suppliers that may interest you.

Skjaldborg Viking Age Living History and Martial Combat
P. Cha

PostPosted: Fri 01 Jan, 2010 3:15 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

If windlass is too shoddy, just stay away from the VA base line...at least until sonny gets to redoing the lineup. The VA´s new line up are nice swords for their cost and heads above most windlass, but the base ones are currently a step down. Also the hanwei tinker viking is nice as well.
Tom King

PostPosted: Fri 01 Jan, 2010 3:08 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

P. Cha wrote:
If windlass is too shoddy, just stay away from the VA base line...at least until sonny gets to redoing the lineup. The VA´s new line up are nice swords for their cost and heads above most windlass, but the base ones are currently a step down. Also the hanwei tinker viking is nice as well.
I like the tinker hanwei vikings but the blunted versions blade is a turnoff. the sharpened version though hmm ::strokes beard::
Luka Borscak

PostPosted: Fri 01 Jan, 2010 3:11 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

I recommend Hanwei Tinker Viking. It is really a great sword, probably best for under $300.
Nathan Robinson
myArmoury Admin

myArmoury Admin

PostPosted: Fri 01 Jan, 2010 3:51 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Philip C. Ryan wrote:
The web site lists the sword as weighing in at 4 lbs 3 oz. This is a bit over weight for a typical viking age blade which usually comes in around 2 1/2 to 3 lbs.

4.2 pounds compared to 2.5 - 3 pounds is a lot more than "a bit overweight". Happy

It's a factor of 40% - 70% overweight. Ouch.

To be blunt, it's incredibly overbuilt for any "Viking-era" sword. Considering it's only 34.75" long and has a short blade of only 28" long, this is ridiculous.

.:. Visit my Collection Gallery :: View my Reading List :: View my Wish List :: See Pages I Like :: Find me on Facebook .:.
JE Sarge
Industry Professional

PostPosted: Fri 01 Jan, 2010 10:45 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Luka Borscak wrote:
I recommend Hanwei Tinker Viking. It is really a great sword, probably best for under $300.

I second this recommendation... Happy

J.E. Sarge
Crusader Monk Sword Scabbards and Customizations
www.crusadermonk.com

"But lack of documentation, especially for such early times, is not to be considered as evidence of non-existance." - Ewart Oakeshott
David Wilson

PostPosted: Sat 02 Jan, 2010 12:25 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

There are examples of historical Viking swords which do weigh in about 4 lbs (#C777 in Pierce's book, for one)... but make no mistake, these are few and far between, the vast majority weighing in at the above mentioned 2-3 lb mark. And these originals apparently don't handle all that well either (yes, they did make clunkers back in the day. The key is to copy the *good* swords!).
But a sword of the dimensions listed (28 -inch blade)? Four lbs is obese.

Valiant is starting to step up it's lineup, though. Check out VA's newer offerings, especially the new Hedemark sword from the new "signature" line. It's more than a pound lighter than the Norseman, and handles quite well. The already-mentioned Hanwei Tinker Viking is also excellent.

David K. Wilson, Jr.
Laird of Glencoe

Now available on Amazon: Franklin Posner's "Suburban Vampire: A Tale of the Human Condition -- With Vampires" https://www.amazon.com/dp/B072N7Y591
Sonny Suttles
Industry Professional

PostPosted: Sat 02 Jan, 2010 3:45 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

The Norseman is already being redesigned. Gus Trim has shipped the new prototype blade to Christian Fletcher. The overall feel of the sword will be the same but it will be much lighter and much more proper in regards to what the marketplace is looking for. It will should be quite an improvement over the original. We hope to get it released by this summer.

Sonny

www.valiant-armoury.com
www.customswordshoppe.com
Luka Borscak

PostPosted: Sat 02 Jan, 2010 3:58 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Sonny, will it be a historical Petersen type or will the fittings follow the same general look as standard line?
Sonny Suttles
Industry Professional

PostPosted: Sat 02 Jan, 2010 4:42 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Luka Borscak wrote:
Sonny, will it be a historical Petersen type or will the fittings follow the same general look as standard line?

Christian is trying to keep the overall appearance the same while making the fittings fall in line with historical precedent. Needless to say this sword will be going on a much needed diet. Wink

Sonny

www.valiant-armoury.com
www.customswordshoppe.com
Luka Borscak

PostPosted: Sun 03 Jan, 2010 3:20 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Sonny Suttles wrote:
Luka Borscak wrote:

Christian is trying to keep the overall appearance the same while making the fittings fall in line with historical precedent. Needless to say this sword will be going on a much needed diet. Wink

Sonny

Great, I'm very interested in this sword after it's done with its changes. Thanks.

Forum Index > Historical Arms Talk > Valiant Armory Norseman
Page 1 of 1 Reply to topic