Info Favorites Register Log in
myArmoury.com Discussion Forums

Forum index Memberlist Usergroups Spotlight Topics Search
Forum Index > Historical Arms Talk > New Basket Hilt from ElJay Reply to topic
This is a standard topic  
GG Osborne

Spotlight topics: 1

PostPosted: Tue 29 Dec, 2009 7:23 pm    Post subject: New Basket Hilt from ElJay         Reply with quote

ElJay has been on to me for some time for not highlighting his hilts in my collection. Well, the sad truth is that I don't own a digital camera...perhaps the only person on the planet without this capability. So, I had to wait until I got a picture from him so I could share.

For whatever reason, asthetic or something else entirely, my collection has tended towards the more complex Stirling-type hilts. I never collected a really good specimen of the traditional Glasgow hilt... until now. Several years ago, I started looking at collecting sword hilts from portaits during the 1745-46 Jacobite rebellion period. Last year, ELJay made a beautiful copy of Cameron of Lochiels hilt and this hilt is as close as we could get in reproducing the plainer basket hilt shown on the famous full-length picture of Lord George Murray. (Henrik maybe you could add this picture as an illustration since you have such a nice digital library of such things!)

At any rate, as anyone with eyes to see can tell, this is another work of art from one of the worlds premier hilt makers. Frankly, I don't see how ELJay makes such consistently wonderful hilts as I have never seen one that isn't just perfect and able to hold its own in any context, artistic or practical.

So, here is my new pride and joy - hopefully in transit from Thailand. Enjoy the view and thank ElJay for his artistry and craftsmanship.

PS - didn't know how to just add the picture directly to the post so had to attach. Perhaps one of our savy administrators can help out!

Attachment: 187.86 KB
[ Download ]

"Those who live by the sword...will usually die with a huge, unpaid credit card balance!"
Brian Kent

PostPosted: Tue 29 Dec, 2009 10:10 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Now that is a work of art my friend! I am jealous of you! His work is always superb, I hope that I'll be able to order one from him one day.
David Wilson

PostPosted: Tue 29 Dec, 2009 11:32 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Ahh yes -- beautiful, as always!!!

Congrads on a gorgeous piece of art by one of the finest "hammermen" alive!

David K. Wilson, Jr.
Laird of Glencoe

Now available on Amazon: Franklin Posner's "Suburban Vampire: A Tale of the Human Condition -- With Vampires" https://www.amazon.com/dp/B072N7Y591
Luka Borscak

PostPosted: Wed 30 Dec, 2009 1:12 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Yep. It's perfect. Congratulations! We are all happy for you, doesn't matter that we are also jealous! Wink
Henrik Bjoern Boegh

PostPosted: Wed 30 Dec, 2009 5:18 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Lord George Murray 1740s:

Congratulations, George. That's stunning!

Cheers,
Henrik

Constant and true.
Ed McV

PostPosted: Wed 30 Dec, 2009 7:39 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

It's a wonderful basket hilt sword in the Lord George Murray painting and I would estimate the width of the blade at the hilt to be 3 to 3 1/4 inch ?.
Christopher Gregg

Reading list: 2 books

PostPosted: Wed 30 Dec, 2009 8:40 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Ed McV wrote:
It's a wonderful basket hilt sword in the Lord George Murray painting and I would estimate the width of the blade at the hilt to be 3 to 3 1/4 inch ?.

Yep, probably at least 3". One of my Mad Piper replicas has a blade that wide at the hilt. The German blade manufacturers of the late 17th and early 18th centuries made many very wide blades like this for the Scottish market. Surprisingly enough, they are still quite light, flexible and lively. Plus, they could split a man stem to stern! Eek!

Christopher Gregg

'S Rioghal Mo Dhream!
GG Osborne

PostPosted: Wed 30 Dec, 2009 9:28 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Thanks for all the kind comments, you guys, but, of course all the praise rightfully belongs to ELJay. I'm just glad to have it coming to the collection. And thank you HenrIk - as always - for providing the illustration of Lord George - what a tragic historical figure!

As to the comments on the blade, frankly, I hadn't really noticed how wide it was until I saw the opening in the scabbard. Wow! Talk about a cleaver! So now I have to find someone to make it. Any suggestions?

"Those who live by the sword...will usually die with a huge, unpaid credit card balance!"
Scott Kowalski

PostPosted: Wed 30 Dec, 2009 10:00 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

First off, congratulations on having such a nice basket hilt made. ELJay did a great job. Even though this type of sword is close to 400 years later then my area of interest I want to get one for myself one day. You know, just to round out the collection and all.

As to who should make the blade. I would see if Michael Pikula of Volund Forge could do something for you. He does great work at a reasonable price with pretty decent turn around.

Scott

Chris Landwehr 10/10/49-1/1/09 My Mom
Henrik Bjoern Boegh

PostPosted: Wed 30 Dec, 2009 11:37 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

GG Osborne wrote:
As to the comments on the blade, frankly, I hadn't really noticed how wide it was until I saw the opening in the scabbard. Wow! Talk about a cleaver! So now I have to find someone to make it. Any suggestions?

John Lundemo made that very wide blade for my Eljay ribbon hilt and it seems to have the same shape and style as the one in the portrait. I'm impressed with Lundemos blade. Outstanding craftmanship!

Cheers,
Henrik

Constant and true.
Ben Sweet

PostPosted: Wed 30 Dec, 2009 12:39 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Beautiful ElJay hilt and great taste! I think but could be wrong looks to be F17(IS) from Mazansky pg 122 I have your close sister F19 in brass..good luck blade hunting!
Thom R.

Reading list: 30 books

PostPosted: Wed 30 Dec, 2009 12:43 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

That a lovely basket! John Lundemo also made my blade for my ElJay basket. I recommend John highly! We have a thread on Eljay's work here:
http://www.myArmoury.com/talk/viewtopic.php?t...p;start=44

Once you get your basket and blade all together post a photo for us in that thread so we can keep it going!

tr
GG Osborne

PostPosted: Wed 30 Dec, 2009 12:49 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

How can I reach John Lundemo? I should be familar with his work but can't place it.
Bennison N

PostPosted: Wed 30 Dec, 2009 1:04 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Here you go, mate...

http://www.odinblades.com/

One for the "favourites"...

That's an awesome hilt! Really awesome! It always leaves me stunned as to how someone can take a painted portrait and a billet of steel and just make a beautiful hilt like that! It's amazing!

ElJay... What an artist!

"Never give a sword to a man who can't dance" - Confucius

अजयखड्गधारी
Nathan Robinson
myArmoury Admin

myArmoury Admin

PostPosted: Tue 05 Jan, 2010 8:45 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

I want that sword. I really do.

Very nice choice for an inspiration! I know you typically like the ornate and complex baskets, but I'm glad you've augmented with a "simple" design such as this. Hell, let's face it, it's not simple... it's quite extraordinary.

.:. Visit my Collection Gallery :: View my Reading List :: View my Wish List :: See Pages I Like :: Find me on Facebook .:.

Forum Index > Historical Arms Talk > New Basket Hilt from ElJay
Page 1 of 1 Reply to topic