Info Favorites Register Log in
myArmoury.com Discussion Forums

Forum index Memberlist Usergroups Spotlight Topics Search
Forum Index > Historical Arms Talk > Landsknecht Helmets Reply to topic
This is a standard topic  
Nathan Quarantillo

PostPosted: Sun 27 Dec, 2009 4:50 pm    Post subject: Landsknecht Helmets         Reply with quote

Hello all, as i have said before, I am putting together a Landsknecht kit, and as for the helmet, I know that the most common would be a Burgonet, and a sallet for an early one, but i was wondering about this helmet by best armour. the form just seems to fit. you know? I have been looking at Landsknecht stuff for a bit now, and this helm does not look like it would be out of place on a doppelsoldner or seen in the pike block. Can people more educated on this subject commont on weather or not this would be acceptable?

Attachment: 33.22 KB
kettle hat 8.jpg

Attachment: 35.21 KB
kettle_hat_7d.jpg

"Id rather be historically accurate than politically correct"
Eric Hejdström

PostPosted: Mon 28 Dec, 2009 11:52 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Looks a bit off that one. I would go for a scullcap or something similar, most likely with rondels covering the ears. There was a vaey good thread about it here on the forum a while ago.
Nathan Quarantillo

PostPosted: Tue 29 Dec, 2009 9:59 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

well, since it looks a bit early for what im going for (1520-1535) ill probably be commissioning a Burgonet instead. I just really liked that helm, so ill probably be commissioning it at a later date, when i want to do something earlier.
Adam D. Kent-Isaac

Reading list: 2 books

Spotlight topics: 1

PostPosted: Wed 30 Dec, 2009 3:23 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

That kettle hat/morion is cool in a quirky sort of way but I would definitely go with a classic burgonet for an authentic Landsknecht look. I think most of the Landsknechts fought unarmoured but a captain might have had a half-armour in the black-and-white style, including a burgonet, which might be open faced or might have a buffe. My own Landsknecht captain's kit, were I ever to put one together, would ideally look something like this:

[/url]

Pastime With Good Company
Daniel Sullivan

PostPosted: Thu 31 Dec, 2009 9:26 am    Post subject: Landsknecht Helmet         Reply with quote

Nathan,

For grace and beauty you couldn't have picked a better helmet. It is one of my favorites. As others have said, it is a bit early.

Depending on where in the landsknecht era you are aiming, a burgonet would fit well. Best Armour has a couple of simple burgonets that would fit or even a few simple sallets that would do.

A posting by Alberto P. on 12/15/09 (Help with helmet) has a very early and interesting version of a burgonet. Basically looks like a development of a skull cap, no comb, open face, but with hinged ear pieces and a plate to protect the neck.neck etc.

Happy to see a young person interested in this hobby. It opens a door to history .....

Cheers,
Dan
Nathan Quarantillo

PostPosted: Thu 31 Dec, 2009 11:31 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

hey thanks for the answers all. and yeah, at 15 im a bit younger than most here at myArmoury. I will probably go with one of thier simple burgonets if it counts as a "small" helm by the folks at best armoury. if it constitutes as a "big" helm, itll cost twice as much and be quite well out of my price range. (one of the main problems about being a 15yr old armour geek is that my budget is about 1 step above nil) I was figuring that a kettle helm would most likely be a small helm. I think that then for a helm i might actually use a GDFB cervelliere helm (skullcap) under a starfish hat. (schlappe) I have a picture of such an arrangement. or for now, i might just wear a hat. Even though i will be wearing armour wit hthe kit, ive seen pictures of Landsknechts w/ armour and no helm.

Forum Index > Historical Arms Talk > Landsknecht Helmets
Page 1 of 1 Reply to topic