12%
 12%  [ 7 ]
Be patient and wait for another option
24%
 24%  [ 13 ]
Total Votes : 54

Christopher VaughnStrever

Reading list: 1 book

PostPosted: Fri 18 Dec, 2009 6:02 am    Post subject: Sword, Pole Axe or Pole Hammer         Reply with quote

I have a huge desire on some days to buy a sword.... and then on the next day I don't care to buy one. I do have a full suit of armor looking towards the mid - late 15th century and have become crossed in my thoughts. Currently at this very moment the weapon would serve no other purpose than for my personel use. Here are the three weapons I am considering...

Albion maestro line practice sword - http://www.albion-swords.com/swords/albion/ma...ce-I33.htm

Arms and Armor Pole Axe - http://www.arms-n-armor.com/pole217.html

Arms and Armor Pole Hammer - http://www.arms-n-armor.com/pole232.html

I cannot make a decision and I have funds to make a purchase immediatly.... Should I wait and get something for a lesser price? Should I pick one of these three? I don't know.... Please Assist

Thank you all for your help.

Experience and learning from such defines maturity, not a number of age
Scott Hrouda

Reading list: 87 books

PostPosted: Fri 18 Dec, 2009 6:07 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Being from Minnesota, I see alot of Arms & Armour work. If it weren't for my better half I'd have the A&A Pole Axe already. I've had the pleasure of holding this beautiful weapon. They had to pry it out of my hands. Happy
...and that, my liege, is how we know the Earth to be banana shaped. - Sir Bedevere
Chad Arnow
myArmoury Team

myArmoury Team

PostPosted: Fri 18 Dec, 2009 6:30 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

If you don't have strong feelings about any item, just wait until you find something that is a must-buy. I've made a number of arms & armour impulse buys over the years and those are the pieces Iusually end up selling later, often at a loss. The pieces I searched for, researched, and put more time into are the ones that will be the last to leave my collection.

Don't spend money just to spend money.

And if you do, the pole-hammer, while very cool, is later than your harness. Happy The poleaxe is awesome as well.

Happy

ChadA

http://chadarnow.com/
Daniel Staberg

Reading list: 2 books

PostPosted: Fri 18 Dec, 2009 6:39 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

I own the Burgundian pollaxe and it is very nice polearm, perhaps overlooked because it is plainer than the fancier "Knightly Pollaxe" with it more elaborate design.
It would fit well with time period of your armour.
Joe Fults

PostPosted: Fri 18 Dec, 2009 7:22 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Everyone should have some kind of pole weapon. Big Grin
"The goal shouldn’t be to avoid being evil; it should be to actively do good." - Danah Boyd
Felix R.

Reading list: 25 books

Spotlight topics: 2

PostPosted: Fri 18 Dec, 2009 7:23 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Joe Fults wrote:
Everyone should have some kind of pole weapon. Big Grin

That is a statement to support.
Thom R.

Reading list: 30 books

PostPosted: Fri 18 Dec, 2009 7:25 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Have you considered the A&A Italian Bill? it would go great with your kit of armour you have been working on...... both A&A bills are seriously scary deadly weapons imo. and are fun to chop and smash things with in the backyard. tr
Joel Minturn

PostPosted: Fri 18 Dec, 2009 7:57 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

I bought the Arms and Armour Italian Pollhammer (well technically a pollaxe as well) and it is sweet. First off, I do have to say dealing with A&A in person was cool. I couldn't make up my mind either and they let me handle several different things as I was deciding, Made for a great day at the ren fair.
So I picked up the Bec De Corbin (italian Pollaxe). The only problem was that every time I pick it up I really want to hit things. Big Grin I was surprised at how easily it demolished an old computer case I had lying around. Great way to get rid of frustration. After getting it I really felt like I could open up a suit of armour if needed.
So if you like it get. The detail is great. Looks good on the wall and hits like a ton of bricks.
Felix R.

Reading list: 25 books

Spotlight topics: 2

PostPosted: Fri 18 Dec, 2009 8:24 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

'Hey Christopher, maybe you want to start think about from what region and time your harness is inspired from. Then think about the position of the one having worn such a harness and then think about what would be the best arms for this person. All the ars you are asking for are great in what they are. But you have to aks yourself, do you just want to start collecting arms, or do you want something best suited to your harness.
Zac Evans

PostPosted: Fri 18 Dec, 2009 8:36 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Do you have a helmet yet Chris? If not then thats always a good way to go. You can always borrow weapons etc, but a decent helmet makes a brilliant focal point for a gorgeous kit.

PostPosted: Fri 18 Dec, 2009 12:08 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Yup, actually the helm is in the proccess of being made (Purchase has been made) contacts are on the way (I refuse to wear eye glasses with a helm)

Thank you for that helpful response Felix That has helped me think a bit more...

Quote:
Felix wrote:
But you have to aks yourself, do you just want to start collecting arms, or do you want something best suited to your harness.

That is exactly what I have been trying to ask myself all day. I would have to defintly say I'd choose the latter statement. I would love to put on a historically accurate demonstration. And I do not want to just "collect"

Thanks for all of your help thus far. If there are any more tips, please fill in with them. I think I am going to wait till this upcomming week to make my final decision.

P.S. With out this community I would have never made proper decisions to have the kit that I have. Thank you all so much.

Scott Bradley

PostPosted: Fri 18 Dec, 2009 3:01 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

If I were you, I would save my money and by a sharp Albion. The Regent would work quite nicely in the time period of your harness. By the way, is your armor in the classic gothic style? If so, I would recommend this course even more.

The next thing to by would be the poll-axe. I wouldn't get the hammer; a mace would probably be a better choice.

One more point. Do you wish to practice with these weapons, or are you just collecting?

And finally, I envy your position to the very core of my being. Hope I helped.
Addison C. de Lisle

PostPosted: Fri 18 Dec, 2009 3:56 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

If nothing is really speaking to you right now, I would just wait. Something may come along that you *know* is it, or you may just make a decision out of your three options.

You could also get a glaive as a compromise Big Grin

www.addisondelisle.com
P. Cha

PostPosted: Fri 18 Dec, 2009 6:43 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Personally I love the A&A pole axe...you can hack with the axe head, stab with the spike or crush with the hammer head in the back. And Joe make a very valid point...everyone should have a pole weapon hehe Happy .
David Teague

PostPosted: Fri 18 Dec, 2009 7:18 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Hey Christopher,

Quote:
This sword exhibits the handling characteristics of the swords used in the Liechtenauer's manual of Armoured Fencing (Kampffechten or Harnischfechten) as recorded in the Codex 1449 manuscript compiled by Peter von Danzig in 1452, Danzig's fechtbuch.

This sword would also be suitable for practice of the techniques illustrated in the manuals of Talhoffer, Ringeck, and Fiore.

I know you like the I33 sword but since you are getting a 15th century Harness the Liechtenauer would be a better choice as that's the type of training sword used in the 2 main schools of 14th-15th century Knightly swordplay (AKA the longsword).

Myself and fellow Alaskan Matt Cacy getting ready to do a Harnischfechten demo with a set of Albion Liechtenauers this last summer

Hey I like polearms too but you can learn the basics of how to fight with a poleaxe using your longsword, but poleaxes just don't work as a longsword trainer. Confused

Like I said, we like em too!

but all of our training and loose play is done with leather headed trainers that only cost 60 bucks

Cheers,

DT

This you shall know, that all things have length and measure.

Free Scholar/ Instructor Selohaar Fechtschule
The Historic Recrudescence Guild

"Yea though I walk through the valley of death, I will fear no evil: for Thou's sword art is with me; Thy poleaxe and Thy quarterstaff they comfort me."
Etienne Hamel

PostPosted: Sat 19 Dec, 2009 6:20 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

i'm sure that there is a thread about your armor but how is your armor do you have some pictures of it and is a bec de corbin would fit with the style of your armor?
Norbert Keller

PostPosted: Sat 19 Dec, 2009 9:35 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Hi there!

I would suggest, buy a sword and a pole axe too. Both are useful and beautiful weapons. There are some place/event/fight (whatever I call it) where people don't really like pole weapons (too effective? Big Grin) but you can use your sword everywhere. Just watch the age when they used the type you want to fit for your armour.

PostPosted: Sat 19 Dec, 2009 9:22 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Forum Index > Off-topic Talk > Sword, Pole Axe or Pole Hammer
Page 1 of 1 Reply to topic