Info Favorites Register Log in
myArmoury.com Discussion Forums

Forum index Memberlist Usergroups Spotlight Topics Search
Forum Index > Historical Arms Talk > Vendel 1 ring sword Reply to topic
This is a standard topic  
Bruce Tordoff
Industry Professional

PostPosted: Sat 28 Nov, 2009 7:36 am    Post subject: Vendel 1 ring sword         Reply with quote

Hi Guys,
I am currently planning my re-creation of the Vendel 1 Ring sword, but unfortunately, the only archive material I have to work from presently, is a collection of PDF's, of the old Greta Arwidsson documents and other related papers on the Vendel and Valsgarde grave finds.
The pictures of this particular sword are drawings and any other source material I have is low res .jpg's off the net, which do not show the kind of detail I require.
So, does anyone out there, have decent, hi quality pics (preferably colour) of both sides of the hilt and even some top/ bottom views? Or does anyone know where I could get some?

Thanks,
Bruce
Artis Aboltins

PostPosted: Sat 28 Nov, 2009 8:52 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Well I only have one image in my posession of what I belive is Vendel 1 ringsword, so here it is.

Attachment: 217.94 KB
[ Download ]
Ville Vinje

PostPosted: Sat 28 Nov, 2009 9:03 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Hi Bruce,

I don't know about the ID "Vendel 1 Ring sword" but I assume you mean the sword below (click the pictures to see bigger versions):

http://mis.historiska.se/mis/sok/bild.asp?uid=17293

http://mis.historiska.se/mis/sok/bild.asp?uid=16488

http://mis.historiska.se/mis/sok/bild.asp?uid=16487

Below you have pictures of other vendel period swords from Sweden:

http://mis.historiska.se/mis/sok/resultat_bil...6&page

Regards,

/Ville
Bruce Tordoff
Industry Professional

PostPosted: Sat 28 Nov, 2009 6:01 pm    Post subject: Vendel 1 Ringsword         Reply with quote

Thanks Artis and Ville,
Yes you were both correct, this is the sword I'm looking for.
There are some lovely photo's on the Swedish Historiska site, so thanks for pointing these out.
Sadly, they are just too small, to be able to discern any real detail, which is critical for me as I am going to be carving the masters for all the individual hilt components.

So if any one else out there in the world of history , arms and armour, has any other links or indeed the required pics themselves, please help.
This is an important project for me, so I want to do it right.
If anyone has the photos but don't want to post them, because they are too big or from a private collection, please send me a PM.

But again, Artis, Ville, thanks for taking the time to reply, much appreciated.

Bruce
Keith L. Rogers

PostPosted: Sat 28 Nov, 2009 10:48 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Maybe you can arrange with the SHM for a photo/measurement session. Oh, clean the blood off your head first. Sweden isn't that far away form the UK. Just sayin'.... Happy

Good luck with the project, Bruce.
Artis Aboltins

PostPosted: Sat 28 Nov, 2009 11:34 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Well, since this sword, luckily, on display in SHM, perharps one of our coleagues from Sweden can pay it a visit and take some pictures of Vendel/Valsgarde stuff there... *hint!* Happy Sadly there are no tourgroups to Stockholm from Latvia this late in season, or I would do that myself.
Jean Le-Palud

Reading list: 17 books

PostPosted: Sun 29 Nov, 2009 1:05 am    Post subject: Re: Vendel 1 Ringsword         Reply with quote

Bruce Tordoff wrote:
Thanks Artis and Ville,
Yes you were both correct, this is the sword I'm looking for.
There are some lovely photo's on the Swedish Historiska site, so thanks for pointing these out.
Sadly, they are just too small, to be able to discern any real detail, which is critical for me as I am going to be carving the masters for all the individual hilt components.

Bruce

Hi Bruce, you can obtain bigger pictures from the museum as I did for some viking swords pictures. Each picture is 2038X3030 pixels and around 6000 KB. They usually have also files describing the items with measurements and linked documentation, you just need the inventory number of the item in the museum collection. The pictures were sent to me on a CD for a few euros and for private use only.
Hoping this helps...
Jean
Kjell Magnusson

PostPosted: Sun 29 Nov, 2009 6:38 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Here's a picture showing it from a slightly different angle.

I also took a look at the museum's homepage, and it seems that if there's some particular photograph you need of the item, then the museum might be able to take that photo for you for a fee. I couldn't find any information in English on the page, but if you e-mail the photography department at the museum then there is probably someone there who can read it. shm-bild@historiska.se

Good luck.

Attachment: 97.8 KB
[ Download ]
Bruce Tordoff
Industry Professional

PostPosted: Sun 29 Nov, 2009 7:36 am    Post subject: Vendel 1 Ringsword         Reply with quote

Kjell, Jean, Artis, Keith,
many thanks for your help guys, I will try the museum and ask for the large size pics with measurements etc.
This is exactly what I'm looking for. Incidentally, Vlille, I am getting the materials for the blade for this sword from just uip the road from Vendel. We, (our group) are hoping to come to Uppsala next year, with out comprehensive collection of Vendel/Valsgarde kit. So it would be good to meet up. Thorkil from Poland is hoping to come with us as well.
I will hopefully have the V1 sword done ny then, so I'll bring it along.
Also guys I will be posting pics of the finished article on here when its done. If any of you want Hi res pics I'd be happy to reciprocate for your help.
Cheers guys.
Bruce
Ville Vinje

PostPosted: Sun 29 Nov, 2009 3:14 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

That would be great Bruce.

We met up the with Thorkil the last time he was here and I've been talking to Paul about getting together if your group comes over. Just send a message when you know more.

/Ville
Artis Aboltins

PostPosted: Sun 29 Nov, 2009 3:30 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Ville Vinje wrote:
That would be great Bruce.

We met up the with Thorkil the last time he was here and I've been talking to Paul about getting together if your group comes over. Just send a message when you know more.

/Ville

Whoa, I will have to find out when that happens and find a reason to be in Upsala at that time Happy
Bruce Tordoff
Industry Professional

PostPosted: Mon 30 Nov, 2009 9:11 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Yeah guys, (Ville, Artis) will let you know, more details, as and when we have them, I've got to do some costings for the travel, we are going via Newcastle to Denmark, taking in Lejre first, then another ferry to Sweden, we will possibly try to go to Stocholm 1st, then Uppsala, then Vendel and area.
Ville, did you meet Thorkil at Gene?
I got an Email from the SHM today, after I asked for some larger hi res photos from various angles and the critical dimensions of the sword.
In the reply, I did get one photo, the one which is one the website, albeit a larger one.
Much appreciated, but still no views from other angles, I don't want to miss out any crucial details, purely because I didn't know they were there. One cannot assume that the design on one side of a sword hilt is the same as on the other side.
Oh well, I'll keep trying.
Cheers,
Bruce
Ville Vinje

PostPosted: Mon 30 Nov, 2009 5:06 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Bruce Tordoff wrote:
Ville, did you meet Thorkil at Gene?
Bruce

No (But I know the Gene Guys), I met Thorkil here in Uppsala. He and his girlfriend and pals stayed at my place during their visit. On our day at museum Gustavianum we by chance run into Artis whom I had know idea was a reenactor at the time. I know the people responsible for the vendel/valsgarde exhibition. I'd be happy to help you out with any contact and info regarding the museum.

/Ville
Bruce Tordoff
Industry Professional

PostPosted: Mon 30 Nov, 2009 5:20 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Thanks Ville,
you are an absolute star, I will PM you and we can talk more at length.
Yes, Greg and Gracjana are most gracious, three of us stayed at their house when we went over to a show in Poland.

Yes thanks for the offer of help, in the Vendel/Valsgarde department, that would be appreciated.
There's a bottle of something alcoholic in it for you, Lol!
Ok, I'll Pm you in a bit ,

Cheers,

Bruce

Forum Index > Historical Arms Talk > Vendel 1 ring sword
Page 1 of 1 Reply to topic