Info Favorites Register Log in
myArmoury.com Discussion Forums

Forum index Memberlist Usergroups Spotlight Topics Search
Forum Index > Historical Arms Talk > very unusual visor; anyone seen something like this? Reply to topic
This is a standard topic  
Boris R.

PostPosted: Thu 26 Nov, 2009 11:46 am    Post subject: very unusual visor; anyone seen something like this?         Reply with quote

PICTURE
from http://www.thomasdelmar.com/

it says :

A RARE ITALIAN VISOR FOR A BASCINET OR BARBUTA(?)*, CIRCA 1350 of one-piece bulbous form for a T-shaped face opening, with near circular upper part pierced with a pair of flanged vision slots and narrowing to form a long slightly in-curved lower 'tongue' with straight sides towards the base, the lower edge rounded, pierced with a series of circular breathes on each side of a medial ridge, and fitted at the top with an iron strap pierced with two slots for attaching to a pair of hooks on a helmet (chemically cleaned) 26.8cm; 10I in high overall Provenance:Aroldi Collection, Milan R.T. Gwynn, sold Christie's 24th April 2001, lot 75, 11,162 (including premium). A visor of similar form is preserved in the Stibbert Museum, Florence. Another, formerly in the Bargello, Florence passed through the collections of Londesborough, Cripps-Day and Sir James Mann and is now in the Royal Armouries Leeds. £6000-8000

so, anyone knows of a barbuta with a visor ? or has anybody seen the aforementioned helmets from Florence? maybe a link with a picture?

Never take life seriously. Nobody gets out alive anyway.
Felix R.

Reading list: 25 books

Spotlight topics: 2

PostPosted: Thu 26 Nov, 2009 12:44 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

This is a very interesting question and was asked here and at several other forums. Some think it might go with ahelmet like the Wallace A74. I for myself had the same idea and after discussion thought to have something similar made by Jiri Klepac. Have a look how it turned out.

http://www.myArmoury.com/talk/viewtopic.php?p...ht=#176547
Boris R.

PostPosted: Thu 26 Nov, 2009 1:39 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Felix R. wrote:
This is a very interesting question and was asked here and at several other forums. Some think it might go with ahelmet like the Wallace A74. I for myself had the same idea and after discussion thought to have something similar made by Jiri Klepac. Have a look how it turned out.

http://www.myArmoury.com/talk/viewtopic.php?p...ht=#176547

Felix, thanks for your answer, that is a very nice repo. i envy you Happy

Never take life seriously. Nobody gets out alive anyway.
M. Eversberg II

Reading list: 3 books

Spotlight topics: 1

PostPosted: Thu 26 Nov, 2009 4:53 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

I rather like that! Vaguely reminiscent of a death's head.

M.

This space for rent or lease.
View user's profile Send private message AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger ICQ Number

Forum Index > Historical Arms Talk > very unusual visor; anyone seen something like this?
Page 1 of 1 Reply to topic