Info Favorites Register Log in
myArmoury.com Discussion Forums

Forum index Memberlist Usergroups Spotlight Topics Search

myArmoury.com is now completely member-supported. Please contribute to our efforts with a donation. Your donations will go towards updating our site, modernizing it, and keeping it viable long-term.
Last 10 Donors: Daniel Sullivan, Anonymous, Chad Arnow, Jonathan Dean, M. Oroszlany, Sam Arwas, Barry C. Hutchins, Dan Kary, Oskar Gessler, Dave Tonge (View All Donors)

Forum Index > Off-topic Talk > The Staffordshire Hoard Book Reply to topic
This is a standard topic  
David Huggins

PostPosted: Wed 25 Nov, 2009 8:10 am    Post subject: The Staffordshire Hoard Book         Reply with quote

A small 48 page book on the Staffordshire Hoard is available to order online http://www.staffordshirehoard.org.uk/
just received my copy today and worth the small cost, plus with each purchase a GBP goes to the appeal.

Stunning and very tantalizing photos of a small selection of the finds, including a pressblech fragment of two warriors in procession carrying spear shield and sword.

Dave

and he who stands and sheds blood with us, shall be as a brother.
Artis Aboltins

PostPosted: Wed 25 Nov, 2009 8:26 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Whoa, thanks for letting us know! Ordered a coppy and took the chance to take a Sutton-hoo helmet book too, the prices are unbeliviably low.
Ben Potter
Industry Professional

PostPosted: Wed 25 Nov, 2009 9:56 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

What is in the book? does it have the dimensions and full photographs? or is it more of an overview?

Thank for the tip.

Ben Potter Bladesmith

It's not that I would trade my lot
For any other man's,
Nor that I will be ashamed
Of my work torn hands-

For I have chosen the path I tread
Knowing it would be steep,
And I will take the joys thereof
And the consequences reap.
David Huggins

PostPosted: Wed 25 Nov, 2009 12:00 pm    Post subject: The Staffordshire Hoard Book         Reply with quote

Well although the web site describes it as a book, similar to the 'Sutton Hoo Helmet' book produced by the British Museum it is more of a booklet really. 48 pages total and a general overview on the story of the find, Anglo-Saxon England, the hoard and a brief summary and the next steps in it's conservation and interpretation.

No doubt it will take some years before we get full details but the web site does have a comprehensive gallery of the finds cataloged to date, some with measurement bars accompanying them.

It is an apatite wetter but still worth having a copy though and at a reasonable price you are also helping to keep the find whole and able to remain in its location.

cheers
Dave

Owen Bush
Industry Professional

PostPosted: Fri 27 Nov, 2009 4:45 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

There was a lecture at the British museum last night on the hoard it was very interesting, it is quite an amazing find and I think it will radicalize our ideas of what Saxons were (and what they could achieve) in the 7th century .
forging soul into steel .

www.owenbush.co.uk the home of bushfire forge school of smithing .
David Huggins

PostPosted: Wed 06 Jan, 2010 1:54 pm    Post subject: STAFFORDSHIRE         Reply with quote

And keeping this thread alive BBC I player have on line a BBCNews programme dedicated to the Hoard
http://www.bbc.co.uk/programmes/b00plrzx

best
Dave

Artis Aboltins

PostPosted: Wed 06 Jan, 2010 2:19 pm    Post subject: Re: STAFFORDSHIRE         Reply with quote

David Huggins wrote:
And keeping this thread alive BBC I player have on line a BBCNews programme dedicated to the Hoard
http://www.bbc.co.uk/programmes/b00plrzx

best
Dave

Not avaliable in your area *sigh*.
David Huggins

PostPosted: Wed 20 Jan, 2010 1:59 pm    Post subject: Staffordshire Hoard         Reply with quote

Hi Guys

Eighty artifacts from the Staffordshire Hoard, some of which as yet have not been displayed publicly will go on display at the Potteries Museum and Art Gallery Stoke U.K.

Fellow forumites Paul Mortimer, Bruce Tordoff ,myself and other members of our group Wulfheodenas-Ulfhednar England will be present doing Press and Media publicity work for the Exhibit, if you're in the area, do go along to see this invaluable exhibit and also say hello if you see us.

best
Dave

Forum Index > Off-topic Talk > The Staffordshire Hoard Book
Page 1 of 1 Reply to topic