Info Favorites Register Log in
myArmoury.com Discussion Forums

Forum index Memberlist Usergroups Spotlight Topics Search

myArmoury.com is now completely member-supported. Please contribute to our efforts with a donation. Your donations will go towards updating our site, modernizing it, and keeping it viable long-term.
Last 10 Donors: Daniel Sullivan, Anonymous, Chad Arnow, Jonathan Dean, M. Oroszlany, Sam Arwas, Barry C. Hutchins, Dan Kary, Oskar Gessler, Dave Tonge (View All Donors)

Forum Index > Off-topic Talk > Suggested Swords from You for Me Reply to topic
This is a standard topic  
Wesley English

PostPosted: Fri 20 Nov, 2009 9:10 pm    Post subject: Suggested Swords from You for Me         Reply with quote

I am looking for a reasonably priced ($200 to $600) sharp sword for cutting pumpkins, potatoes, tatami mats, ballistics gel, intruders, and similar objects.
I need a suggestion on the size, name, and maker of the blade and hilt I should use.
It must be a long longsword, a long bastard sword, or a fairly short great sword with average to heavy weight. It must at least be a hand and a half preferably a two handed sword.
I am training with instructors (including Brian R. Price "writer" and interpreter of
Fiore's manuals) on Fiore Dei Liberi's Sword in Two Hands. I also practice with the local SCA.
I am 5'6" tall with small hands, long arms, a short torso, and long legs, my weight is 150lbs and I have used pretty long heavy swords in my time. My practice swords are long Japanese shinai adapted to a weighted (about 3-4lbs) steel European hilt (hand and a half).

Thank you for your time any suggestions are welcomed.
Adam S.

PostPosted: Fri 20 Nov, 2009 9:18 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

My first questions right off are:
1) What priority does historical accuracy play, if at all?

2)Have you looked at the reviews HERE?

3)If historical accuracy isn't much of an issue, have you checked out Sword Buyers Guide?
JE Sarge
Industry Professional

PostPosted: Fri 20 Nov, 2009 10:01 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

I study with the Schola in the Atlanta, GA area. Brian Price is a great guy that I have had the chance to train with. There is alot out there that fits what you are looking for and your budget, really too much to mention and do them any justice. However, I would start with some very basic recommendations - all popular with my Schola group for training with Fiore's longsword:

The VA Practical Longsword. Based on original ATrim design, these have alot of bang for the buck, as far as a good, solid, and well-balanced practical blade goes:

http://www.kultofathena.com/product~item~AT30...+Sword.htm

For a little more, I would recommend the Tinker Longsword by Hanwei:

http://kultofathena.com/product~item~SH2394.htm

For a little more than that, I would recommend a real ATrim:

http://www.christianfletcher.com/Christian_Fl...IIe_1.html

As already suggested above, you might want to check all of the reviews posted here and on the SBG website: ( Review Index Here: http://sbgswordforum.proboards.com/index.cgi?...read=10166 ) - they will give you more of an idea of what is out there from people that actually own the products.

J.E. Sarge
Crusader Monk Sword Scabbards and Customizations
www.crusadermonk.com

"But lack of documentation, especially for such early times, is not to be considered as evidence of non-existance." - Ewart Oakeshott
K.L. Clausen

PostPosted: Sat 21 Nov, 2009 7:22 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Where do you get ballistics gel, anyway? I have never thought of using that for cutting and I bet it would be a good target.
Brogdon Combs

PostPosted: Sat 21 Nov, 2009 9:33 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

First, the Ballistics gel Question; You make it. There's some sort of recipe, but I'm not sure where to find it. I know that it's posted on SBG in the cutting videos section, but it'll probably be buried a dozen pages back by now. Wink HTH!

As for the sword, GET THE VA PRACTICAL LONGSWORD!!!! Also known as the VA/AT304S, it is by far the best handling sub $400 sword I've ever handled. I don't have all that much experience, but I've read enough and handled enough to know that Nothing beats the 304 when you're looking at sub $300 wares. Considering that if you are a registered member of the CustomSwordShoppe forums, Sonny will give you a steep discount, you could get the 304 for around $200. That would leave enough in you budget for a 2nd sword as well, if you so desired. My customized 304S is by far my sharpest and best cutting sword apart from one heavy-duty specially sharpened katana.

Not only that, but for just a little bit more $ you can get a customized scabbard, belt, suspension system, and grip of your choice! That would bump up the 304S's price to closer to $350 with the discount, but the blade is certainly good enough to warrant the upgrades.

I would suggest calling or emailing Sonny to talk about a design that is to your tastes, if a semi-custom sounds good to you. VA's leather work really impressed me; I don't normally go so 'all-out' about reccomending one particular company, but between the fantastic swords, the better prices, the customization options, and customer service that is quite possibly the best in the industry... yeah, I'm sold on VA. Wink

You could also check out the Signature Series. The Malatesta is coming out in early January, from what I've heard, and it may be perfect for you. Also, the Kreigschwert was just restocked, and the 2nd run is superior even to the 1st. I've handled one of the 1st Gen Kreigs, and I can't believe that they could improve on that... Still, Sonny says that it handles better and has even nicer fittings than before, so it must be so, lol.

I would highly reccomend that you take a look at Valiant Armoury, man... you won't regret it. Big Grin

I hope this helps!

Sincerely,
Brogdon Combs

[I PROMISE THAT I WAS NOT TOLD, PAID, OR BRIBED TO POST THIS MESSAGE. I JUST LOVE VA THAT MUCH, LOL!]

Spelling Edit

"Here's to you, mister pirate-ship-captain! With your endless booty calls and a violent streak that makes Grand Theft Auto look like Super Mario Kart, only you could bring the wooden leg back into fashion, and only you could fight three men at a time with a patch over one eye and a hook for a hand."
-Strongblade.com
P. Cha

PostPosted: Sat 21 Nov, 2009 6:36 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

If your budget is 600...get an Atrim...the real ones, not the VA ones. Yeah the VA ones are a great bang for the buck, but if you can afford a BMW, why would you settle for a Hyundai? Now if the budge is 600...but you would rather it be closer to the low end mark, then yes go with the VA atrim longsword or hanwei tinker line of swords...be warned that the edge on the hanwei will most likely have to be retouched up.
Brogdon Combs

PostPosted: Sun 22 Nov, 2009 9:46 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

P. Cha wrote:
If your budget is 600...get an Atrim...the real ones, not the VA ones. Yeah the VA ones are a great bang for the buck, but if you can afford a BMW, why would you settle for a Hyundai? Now if the budge is 600...but you would rather it be closer to the low end mark, then yes go with the VA atrim longsword or hanwei tinker line of swords...be warned that the edge on the hanwei will most likely have to be retouched up.

While I would agrre with this point for the most part, consider this: If you bought a BMW SUV and found out that you actually wanted a Convertible, you'd lose a LOT more than if you did the same thing with the Hyundai. Wink

See what I'm saying? It appears from the OP that this will be Wesley's first sharp (even if he does have the perfect name for a swordsman). As such, shouldn't he start out with a cheaper blade, so as to find out what really feels 'right' for him? The same stats in a sharp and a blunt will feel very different in action...

Just my $0.02, of course; just trying to help! Big Grin

Thanks,
Brogdon

"Here's to you, mister pirate-ship-captain! With your endless booty calls and a violent streak that makes Grand Theft Auto look like Super Mario Kart, only you could bring the wooden leg back into fashion, and only you could fight three men at a time with a patch over one eye and a hook for a hand."
-Strongblade.com

Forum Index > Off-topic Talk > Suggested Swords from You for Me
Page 1 of 1 Reply to topic