Info Favorites Register Log in
myArmoury.com Discussion Forums

Forum index Memberlist Usergroups Spotlight Topics Search
Forum Index > Historical Arms Talk > Custom XIIIa.11 from Glasgow Reply to topic
This is a standard topic  
Luka Borscak

PostPosted: Tue 27 Oct, 2009 3:40 pm    Post subject: Custom XIIIa.11 from Glasgow         Reply with quote

As I can't afford A&A 12th century sword, here is a custom replica of a Glasgow XIIIa.11 from Records of the Medieval Sword hilt made by Alojz Krišto, mounted on Del Tin 2142 blade I ordered from him this summer. Feel free to comment, good or bad... Wink

Scott Kowalski

PostPosted: Tue 27 Oct, 2009 6:39 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Luka,
Congratulations! That is a great looking sword. I think that Alojz did a great job on the fittings. Since you purchased the blade from him he had it when he made the fittings and thus it must balance nicely. Do you happen to have the finished measurements on the sword?

I have looked at A&A's 12th century sword myself but cannot bring myself to buy it yet. Mainly because I already have a XIIIa though it is not based on an historical example as yours is.

Scott

Chris Landwehr 10/10/49-1/1/09 My Mom
Luka Borscak

PostPosted: Wed 28 Oct, 2009 6:51 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Scott Kowalski wrote:
Luka,
Congratulations! That is a great looking sword. I think that Alojz did a great job on the fittings. Since you purchased the blade from him he had it when he made the fittings and thus it must balance nicely. Do you happen to have the finished measurements on the sword?

I have looked at A&A's 12th century sword myself but cannot bring myself to buy it yet. Mainly because I already have a XIIIa though it is not based on an historical example as yours is.

Scott

Thanks Scott! The blade was from my old DT2142, it wasn't purchased specifically for this project. Alojz is still quite inexperienced in sword business, he is more gun and knife than sword maker and he paid less attention than he maybe should to balance, but although pommel is smaller than the original Del Tin pommel, balance is very similar to what it was like before. I don't have new measurements but I'm sure they are very close to old measurements and these were: 122cm, 1.75kg, so balance is more powerful than agile or quick, but I'm fine with this because I consider this sword to be more two hander than hand&a half. I can still cut light targets like carton tetrapacks one handed with it and leave the bottom undisturbed. For heavier targets it is a great two hander.

P.S. I have seen your CF XIIIa and it is a beautiful sword, with just a bit of fantasy taste to it which I like.
Scott Kowalski

PostPosted: Wed 28 Oct, 2009 3:40 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

You are welcome Luka. The sword looks good even though he is inexperienced with regards to swords. I would not mind seeing his work on guns and knives. Does he have a website by chance? In regards to handling. I definitely feel that when it comes to the Type XIIIa brute power was the name of the game. For more finesse you are really looking at the later period longswords. Not that the XIIIa is an unwieldily stick. It just excels at powerful cuts.

Thank you for the compliment on my XIIIa. While not 100% historically accurate it is never the less a great and functional sword. Christian does a great job and so did Gus for the blade.

Scott

Luka Borscak

PostPosted: Wed 28 Oct, 2009 4:15 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

http://www.top-kristo.hr/index.html
This is his site, no english unfortunately. Products are "Proizvodi". Noževi - knives, kubure - pistols, puške - guns, ostalo - "other".
Scott Kowalski

PostPosted: Wed 28 Oct, 2009 6:29 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Thank you for both the link and the quick translation help Luka. Alojz's site looks interesting as is his work. I only browsed through quickly but it looks good. I do have one question, is the Winchester reproduction 9x18mm or 9x19mm?

Scott

Luka Borscak

PostPosted: Thu 29 Oct, 2009 3:41 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

No problem. Tomorrow I'll pick up a baskethilt he's making for me on a windlass blade and I'll ask him about the gun.
Scott Kowalski

PostPosted: Thu 29 Oct, 2009 4:55 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Luka Borscak wrote:
No problem. Tomorrow I'll pick up a baskethilt he's making for me on a windlass blade and I'll ask him about the gun.

Thank you Luka. The reproduction looks good and I was wondering.

Scott

Nat Lamb

PostPosted: Thu 29 Oct, 2009 5:19 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Looks really nice. I have question though, the grip looks rather thick, is this an artifact of the photos, or do you have large hands (and therefore more controll with a lthick grip)?
Luka Borscak

PostPosted: Thu 29 Oct, 2009 7:16 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Nat Lamb wrote:
Looks really nice. I have question though, the grip looks rather thick, is this an artifact of the photos, or do you have large hands (and therefore more controll with a lthick grip)?

I actually have very small hands. The grip is original Del Tin grip and it is about normal thickness and I have no problems gripping it. Pommel is a bit small so it makes grip look thicker. As Alojz is relatively new to sword parts making he probably miscalculated something and made a bit too small pommel. But as sword handles good enough I have no complaints.
Luka Borscak

PostPosted: Sat 31 Oct, 2009 5:25 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Scott Kowalski wrote:
Luka Borscak wrote:

Thank you Luka. The reproduction looks good and I was wondering.

Scott

The gun is for "blind" bullets, it's not a functional replica. But he has other functional guns and he could of course make any type one would want.
Scott Kowalski

PostPosted: Sat 31 Oct, 2009 7:46 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Thank you Luka. The main reason I asked was because firearms are one of my other passions. Let him know that his work is pretty darn good!

Scott

Forum Index > Historical Arms Talk > Custom XIIIa.11 from Glasgow
Page 1 of 1 Reply to topic