Info Favorites Register Log in
myArmoury.com Discussion Forums

Forum index Memberlist Usergroups Spotlight Topics Search
Forum Index > Historical Arms Talk > Question about Royal Navy and Air Force Officer swords. Reply to topic
This is a standard topic  
Andrew Elis

PostPosted: Fri 23 Oct, 2009 12:13 pm    Post subject: Question about Royal Navy and Air Force Officer swords.         Reply with quote

I have in my possession what is believed to be an officer sword of the Royal Navy. The bowl guard is pebbled to create the illusion of negative space, and in the center is, of course, a crown and fouled anchor. The crown and fouled anchor is also on the chape of the scabbard. However, the pommel is not a lion head, it is an eagle, which is the pommel of the Royal Air Force from what I have seen in my research. On the crossguard, in two places, the letter E has been stamped, and on the base of the blade is stamped a letter B. All other characteristics of the sword seem to be in keeping with an officer's sword, its the combination of the crown and fouled anchor and eagle pommel that is confusing me. Any ideas?
Jonathan Hopkins

PostPosted: Fri 23 Oct, 2009 12:38 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Do you have a photo? That would be most helpful. Off the top of my head, the eagle pommel and RN style guard make it sound like an Italian or Latin American sword. Photos will be more definitive.

Thanks,
Jonathan
Andrew Elis

PostPosted: Fri 23 Oct, 2009 2:31 pm    Post subject: Sword Pictures         Reply with quote

Thanks for your response Jonathan. I hope these pictures help, I'm not the best photographer. Looking forward to hearing what you come up with.

Attachment: 41.88 KB
Crossguard.jpg
Here is a view of the cross guard.

Attachment: 37.8 KB
Hilt.jpg
Here is the overall view of the hilt.
Glen A Cleeton

PostPosted: Fri 23 Oct, 2009 4:06 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Is the grip smooth celluloid or sharkskin? I have a similar sword and it was never truly clarified as being possibly Italian. My blade is marked to E.F. Horster of Germany. The eagle head itself is quite like the Italian Air Force swords but the guards on those are in imitation of an eagles wings.

I do know I have seen some eagle dirks have been associated with Mexico, so Jonathan's thoughts of Latin America may lead credence to these naval guard birds. The British Air Force eagle is more like an albatross than hawk look. There has been some thought that some of these were a mixture of left over parts and sold to soldiers and tourists after WWII but they seem too well done to me.

Mine was pretty ragged and has ended up redone in black and I have used a cutlery nut while still looking for the one belonging there. Mine lacks a crown over the anchor and the guard in smooth relief. Also shown here in black with some American eagles.

Cheers

GC
Andrew Elis

PostPosted: Fri 23 Oct, 2009 6:58 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

You have a nice collection.
The sword's blade, though decorated with engravings, does not have any indication as to who made it or where it is from except for a lonely letter B on its base.
The handle is actually made of wood and appears to have been hand carved as its appearance shows very slight imperfections. It is painted white and the wire wrap looks original.
So from what I'm reading, it seems that the sword is either Italian or of Latin American origin. And that there is a chance it was assembled from leftover parts of other swords. My initial guess was that it has borrowed parts from other swords, but I couldn't be sure.
Anyone have any other theories?
Glen A Cleeton

PostPosted: Fri 23 Oct, 2009 8:57 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Another possibility for your particular bird is Thailand (seriously). Some of the looks of your's is a bit different than the Italian air force types but I have seen a few variations on the theme.

I would have expected either sharkskin or celluloid/plastic. That type of material is quite common right back to the late 19th century.

One ornament on yours that mine lacks is a crown. The blade on mine is etched but in a fairly generic military motif, with nothing pointing to a particular nation.

Cheers

GC

Forum Index > Historical Arms Talk > Question about Royal Navy and Air Force Officer swords.
Page 1 of 1 Reply to topic