Info Favorites Register Log in
myArmoury.com Discussion Forums

Forum index Memberlist Usergroups Spotlight Topics Search
Forum Index > Historical Arms Talk > Patrick Barta's Vasby sword. Reply to topic
This is a standard topic  
Paul Mortimer

Reading list: 1 book

PostPosted: Wed 21 Oct, 2009 10:54 am    Post subject: Patrick Barta's Vasby sword.         Reply with quote

Patrick has recreated the Vasby (Sweden) sword pommel and put it on an excellent sword.

He is a true artist!

Paul

Attachment: 171.72 KB
[ Download ]
Eric Hejdström

PostPosted: Wed 21 Oct, 2009 11:01 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

I'm not surprised. His work is always exceptional in detail. I'm amazed by the attention to detail and precision in his work. Not to mention his impressive ambition to make his own steel for pattern welding. This sword was no exception.
Mike Arledge

Reading list: 8 books

PostPosted: Wed 21 Oct, 2009 11:09 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Makes the Del Tin Ringhilt look like a cheap knock off, that is beauty
Mike J Arledge

The Dude Abides

Last edited by Mike Arledge on Wed 21 Oct, 2009 11:37 am; edited 1 time in total
Nathan Robinson
myArmoury Admin

myArmoury Admin

PostPosted: Wed 21 Oct, 2009 11:17 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Truly beautiful hilt! Do you have a photo of the whole sword, especially showing the blade?
.:. Visit my Collection Gallery :: View my Reading List :: View my Wish List :: See Pages I Like :: Find me on Facebook .:.
Eric Fick

PostPosted: Wed 21 Oct, 2009 11:26 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

that is beautiful, does not even start to do this justice. that is a mark of someone who loves what he does, and takes exceptional pride in his work! I think I even have a tear in my eye!

great sword. great work.

Cheers,

Eric Fick
Davenriche European Martial Artes Schoole
www.swordfightingschool.com
Maurizio D'Angelo

Reading list: 3 books

PostPosted: Wed 21 Oct, 2009 11:31 am    Post subject: Re: Patrick Barta's Vasby sword.         Reply with quote

Paul Mortimer wrote:
Patrick has recreated the Vasby (Sweden) sword pommel and put it on an excellent sword.

He is a true artist!

Paul

perhaps the best.
ciao
Maurizio
Michael Eging

PostPosted: Wed 21 Oct, 2009 12:50 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Simply stunning. He truly is an artist of great skill.
M. Eging
Hamilton, VA
www.silverhornechoes.com
Member of the HEMA Alliance
http://hemaalliance.com/
Artis Aboltins

PostPosted: Wed 21 Oct, 2009 12:58 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Fantastic workmanship! And on a ringsword no less... indeed, can we see more photos?
Paul Hansen

PostPosted: Wed 21 Oct, 2009 1:39 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Awesome work!

His cloissonnee work also seems to be even better than it than it already was.

The green cells at the bottom of the pommel are a very nice detail.
Josh Maxwell

PostPosted: Wed 21 Oct, 2009 1:57 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

I think this image alone shows the prowess of Patrick Barta's skill. When a single image of a pommel leads to requests to see the entire blade and leads to viewers praising his work, it really shows how good of an artisan Mr. Barta really is.

To be fair, I'm a huge fan of Patrick Bartas work and enjoy just about every piece he produces.
Antonio Lamadrid

PostPosted: Wed 21 Oct, 2009 2:42 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

IMO he is the best.

Does anybody have a pic of the original sword or a link with information about it? Thanks.
Patrick Kelly

Reading list: 42 books

Spotlight topics: 2

PostPosted: Wed 21 Oct, 2009 4:03 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

I love ring-hilts and I can't think of a better craftsman to recreate this type of sword. Beautiful.
Jeremy V. Krause

Spotlight topics: 1

PostPosted: Wed 21 Oct, 2009 4:38 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

I get so excited whenever I look on myArmoury and something to the effect of "new sword by Patrick Barta" is posted.

Another example of a truely fine piece.

Jeremy
David Huggins

PostPosted: Wed 21 Oct, 2009 9:40 pm    Post subject: New Patrick Barta Sword         Reply with quote

As ever, another work of beauty by the God that is Patrick Barta!! Thanks for sharing Paul.

cheers
Dave

and he who stands and sheds blood with us, shall be as a brother.
Jerry Monaghan

PostPosted: Thu 22 Oct, 2009 2:32 am    Post subject: patrick bartas vasby sword         Reply with quote

Hi everyone at myArmoury,

This is my first post but I have watched and listened for many years, and I feel that I know many of you.

Let me introduce myself . My name is Jerry Monaghan, and I am a sword fanatic.

I am the proud owner of Mr Barta's new masterpiece, the Vasby ring hilt. I was on Patrick's waiting list since Jan 6, 2005, originally for a Sutton Hoo replica, however Patrick offered me the Vasby sword, as a previous order had fallen through, and I gratefully accepted.

The sword is 909mm in length. The blade length is 755mm, width is max. 52mm, with the point of balance 155mm from the guard. Weight is 1090g.

The pattern-welded blade is made from Patrick's smelted steel, using three straight and twisted rods to create the pattern.

The scabbard and scabbard parts are from engraved alder wood, antler, bone, ebony wood and purple leather. The hilt is made from gilted bronze pieces,ebony wood and bone. The engravings of the handle are inspired by a find from Gotland(Sweden). The Vasby pommel is inlayed with garnets(from Tanzania-Africa) and green glass, as in the original. The ring of the original was gold. Patrick has used gilted bronze.

It was worth the wait, and it makes me feel very priviledged to own such a beautiful piece of work after many years of coveting other people's purchases. The trouble is though, that Patrick makes such beautiful swords that I'm back on the waiting list for several more years.

regards

Jerry

Attachment: 20.19 KB
VasbyFull.jpg
Full length Vasby

Regards

Jerry Monaghan
David Huggins

PostPosted: Thu 22 Oct, 2009 3:08 am    Post subject: new Patrick Barta sword         Reply with quote

Hi Jerry

On behalf of other members , welcome to this Forum Jerry. Again thanks for sharing this image and information concerning your new 'art work'. Happy

I adore ring pommeled swords of this period,

cheers
Dave

and he who stands and sheds blood with us, shall be as a brother.
Paul Hansen

PostPosted: Thu 22 Oct, 2009 3:57 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Welcome to the forums Jerry! Always good to have another migration age enthousiast. Big Grin
Paul Mortimer

PostPosted: Thu 22 Oct, 2009 10:52 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Welcome Jerry,
I wondered who the lucky customer was.

Here is the original pommel -- not attached to a sword when found - as far as I can tell. It is one of a family of garnet and gold pommels that are all similar and found only during the sixth and seventh centuries mainly in Sweden and England with putliers in northern Italy (Lombards). The Staffordshire Hoard has brought a few more to light and this means that, now, there are more known from England than any where else, I believe.

Cheers,

Paul

Attachment: 36.57 KB
vasby1.jpg

Russ Ellis
Industry Professional

Reading list: 42 books

PostPosted: Thu 22 Oct, 2009 11:26 am    Post subject: Re: patrick bartas vasby sword         Reply with quote

Jerry Monaghan wrote:
Hi everyone at myArmoury,

This is my first post but I have watched and listened for many years, and I feel that I know many of you.

Let me introduce myself . My name is Jerry Monaghan, and I am a sword fanatic.

I am the proud owner of Mr Barta's new masterpiece, the Vasby ring hilt. I was on Patrick's waiting list since Jan 6, 2005, originally for a Sutton Hoo replica, however Patrick offered me the Vasby sword, as a previous order had fallen through, and I gratefully accepted.

The sword is 909mm in length. The blade length is 755mm, width is max. 52mm, with the point of balance 155mm from the guard. Weight is 1090g.

The pattern-welded blade is made from Patrick's smelted steel, using three straight and twisted rods to create the pattern.

The scabbard and scabbard parts are from engraved alder wood, antler, bone, ebony wood and purple leather. The hilt is made from gilted bronze pieces,ebony wood and bone. The engravings of the handle are inspired by a find from Gotland(Sweden). The Vasby pommel is inlayed with garnets(from Tanzania-Africa) and green glass, as in the original. The ring of the original was gold. Patrick has used gilted bronze.

It was worth the wait, and it makes me feel very priviledged to own such a beautiful piece of work after many years of coveting other people's purchases. The trouble is though, that Patrick makes such beautiful swords that I'm back on the waiting list for several more years.

regards

Jerry

Thank you for sharing the entire package. Mr. Barta, makes the incredible his standard operating procedure. As has been noted before he doesn't make replica swords, rather he makes historical swords in the modern world.

TRITONWORKS Custom Scabbards

Forum Index > Historical Arms Talk > Patrick Barta's Vasby sword.
Page 1 of 1 Reply to topic