Info Favorites Register Log in
myArmoury.com Discussion Forums

Forum index Memberlist Usergroups Spotlight Topics Search
Forum Index > Off-topic Talk > How good is 1566 steel for swords or daggers? Reply to topic
This is a standard topic  
Hector Mendoza

PostPosted: Mon 19 Oct, 2009 11:54 pm    Post subject: How good is 1566 steel for swords or daggers?         Reply with quote

I contacted a manufacturer about a the materials of one of their products and they answered the following:

U.S. EQUIVALENT: 1566
% CARBON: 062.-0.7
QUENCHING: NITRATE
EDGE OF BLADE: 48-52 HRC

So, is this good? bad? Average?

I'd appreciate any help, for my knowledge of steel is limited. A few years ago I didn't even know of the existance of High Carbon Steel let alone differrent nomenclatures. Laughing Out Loud

Have a good day. Laughing Out Loud
Ken Nelson

Reading list: 12 books

PostPosted: Wed 21 Oct, 2009 8:44 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

You may have a decent steel to start working with. It will have properties similar to 1060 or 1075. Being in the .6 to .7 range of carbon, it will be tougher but hold less af an edge than the higher carbon steels, but will still harden well enough to make a serviceable blade. Also, I would recommend a oil quench. The high Mn content will cause it to harden quite thoroughly, quenching in water or brine would risk cracking it.

this steel would be better suited to choppers, and axes rather than razors or skinning knives that should hold an edge for a long time. Also, since the Mn will help it harden thoroughly, this would not be a steel to use if you were looking for a Japanese hamon it will be a relatively straight line, and higher than many edge quenches you see.

On a secondary note, Mn also darkens steels quite a bit when hardened, tempered and etched. it would make very black lines in a pattern welded blade.

Ken Nelson

"Live and learn, or you don't live long" L. Long

Forum Index > Off-topic Talk > How good is 1566 steel for swords or daggers?
Page 1 of 1 Reply to topic