Info Favorites Register Log in
myArmoury.com Discussion Forums

Forum index Memberlist Usergroups Spotlight Topics Search
Forum Index > Off-topic Talk > Newbie wants to know about fight groups Reply to topic
This is a standard topic  
John T. McHenry

PostPosted: Mon 19 Oct, 2009 5:50 pm    Post subject: Newbie wants to know about fight groups         Reply with quote

Greetings,

This is a great site, and I have gleaned much information already.
I am already deep in the SCA, but want something a bit more historically correct. Are there any fight groups in Western New York or North Western Pennsylvania?

Thanks in advance,
John
Jessica Finley
Industry Professional

PostPosted: Mon 19 Oct, 2009 6:57 pm    Post subject: Re: Newbie wants to know about fight groups         Reply with quote

John T. McHenry wrote:
Are there any fight groups in Western New York or North Western Pennsylvania?

Thanks in advance,
John

Hey John -

Not sure exactly where you are, but if Sandy Creek is anywhere near to you, Todd Sullivan is there with his group: http://www.selohaar.org/LakeOntarioFechtschule/index.htm

If you're closer to the Rochester area, you could likely find Sherry Wuensch (sawuensch@gmail.com) and the Rochester Medieval Longsword Club. If I remember correctly, James Head participates with this group and may be a member here. He definitely is a member of SwordForum.

Hope this helps!
Jess

Selohaar Fechtschule, Free Scholar
http://www.selohaar.org/fechtschule

Fühlen Designs, Owner/Designer/Seamstress
http://fuhlendesigns.com
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger
Bill Grandy
myArmoury Team

myArmoury Team

Reading list: 43 books

Spotlight topics: 2

PostPosted: Mon 19 Oct, 2009 7:21 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

What Jess said. Also, I don't know my geography of that area well, but you may want to look into the Medieval European Martial Arts Guild (MEMAG):

http://www.memag.net/about.html

They've got a couple different training locations, and I'm not sure if one would be near you or not.

HistoricalHandcrafts.com
-Inspired by History, Crafted by Hand

"For practice is better than artfulness. Your exercise can do well without artfulness, but artfulness is not much good without the exercise.” -anonymous 15th century fencing master, MS 3227a
James Head

PostPosted: Mon 19 Oct, 2009 7:49 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Like Jessica said, the Rochester European Longsword Club might be in your area of Western New York. But I should clarify that we are not a "Fight" group, especialy in comparison to SCA. I've been training with Sherry for almost three years and not once have we ventured into the fabled realm of "Free Sparring" as so many people like to call it. There is SO much to learn and become good at before moving on to sparring. If you are looking for some fighting action, then our style might not be right for you. But if you are interested in learning the core concepts of Medieval Longsword; Footwork, Distance, Timing etc... then you might want to reach out to Sherry and see if she can get you started on an introduction course.
P. Cha

PostPosted: Mon 19 Oct, 2009 11:07 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Michael Edelson runs a school in NY so if he isn´t close I´m sure he can point you in the right direction Happy .
Allan Senefelder
Industry Professional

PostPosted: Tue 20 Oct, 2009 5:32 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

John, Lake Ontario or the school here in Rochester that my leather guy Kieth ( you met him at your Harvest Festival events ) attends that are probabaly closer that Mike and NYHFA are in NYC in terms of drive time from the southern tier. Sherry's group is the closest to you with Todd's being north of the Sterling faire. Sherry's group meets on Saturdays.

Forum Index > Off-topic Talk > Newbie wants to know about fight groups
Page 1 of 1 Reply to topic