Info Favorites Register Log in
myArmoury.com Discussion Forums

Forum index Memberlist Usergroups Spotlight Topics Search

myArmoury.com is now completely member-supported. Please contribute to our efforts with a donation. Your donations will go towards updating our site, modernizing it, and keeping it viable long-term.
Last 10 Donors: Daniel Sullivan, Anonymous, Chad Arnow, Jonathan Dean, M. Oroszlany, Sam Arwas, Barry C. Hutchins, Dan Kary, Oskar Gessler, Dave Tonge (View All Donors)

Forum Index > Makers and Manufacturers Talk > Early Partizan Spear project for Jean Thibodeau Reply to topic
This is a standard topic Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next 
Michael Pikula
Industry Professional

Feedback score: None
PostPosted: Mon 05 Oct, 2009 10:05 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

While I am working on finishing up the finish on the languetts and the haft I have noticed that even with three coats of linseed oil dark marks from hands still show up pretty clearly on the haft. Jean, if I mixed in a drop of dark color in the linseed oil to darken the haft up a touch so that normal handling doesn't leave marks that stand out, would that be ok with you?

BTW stay tuned for pictures of the spear tonight.
Jean Thibodeau

PostPosted: Mon 05 Oct, 2009 4:15 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Michael Pikula wrote:
While I am working on finishing up the finish on the languetts and the haft I have noticed that even with three coats of linseed oil dark marks from hands still show up pretty clearly on the haft. Jean, if I mixed in a drop of dark color in the linseed oil to darken the haft up a touch so that normal handling doesn't leave marks that stand out, would that be ok with you?

BTW stay tuned for pictures of the spear tonight.

Yes that would be O.K. Cool

You can easily give up your freedom. You have to fight hard to get it back!
Keith L. Rogers

PostPosted: Mon 05 Oct, 2009 9:40 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

It's tonight. Just sayin'.... Razz
Michael Pikula
Industry Professional

PostPosted: Mon 05 Oct, 2009 9:45 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

I'm still sanding! Eek! Laughing Out Loud I'll get pictures up in a few hours.
Michael Pikula
Industry Professional

PostPosted: Tue 06 Oct, 2009 12:25 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

I will let the pictures do most of the talking, I would like to point out that tomorrow I will be cleaning up the area between the socket and the haft, and the little space between the languett and socket will be getting a little sterling silver inlay. I probably won't post again until it is done, but hopefully that will be soon. Enjoy! Happy

Attachment: 81.13 KB
[ Download ]

Attachment: 119.52 KB
[ Download ]

Attachment: 115.14 KB
[ Download ]

Attachment: 108.96 KB
[ Download ]
Jean Thibodeau

PostPosted: Tue 06 Oct, 2009 4:55 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Michael Pikula wrote:
I will let the pictures do most of the talking, I would like to point out that tomorrow I will be cleaning up the area between the socket and the haft, and the little space between the languett and socket will be getting a little sterling silver inlay. I probably won't post again until it is done, but hopefully that will be soon. Enjoy! Happy

Oh my God that looks great and a scary SCARY spear.

The languettes with centre ridge, rounded edges, points at ends and mid-length and all inletted part-way into the wood aft is a joy to look upon.

The full length pic showing of the whole thing really helps in realizing the scale of the head as being a substantially BIG head while still being of manageable size: very much in line with the larger spear heads meant to be both a thrusting weapon and being good as a cutting blade i.e. A Partisan in looks and function and more than just a spear ..... an ÜBER spear. Wink Big Grin Cool

Scott Kowalski

PostPosted: Tue 06 Oct, 2009 4:56 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Simply spectacular Michael. That looks great and I cannot wait to see it with the sterling silver inlay.

Jean,
You are one lucky man my friend. That is going to go well with the rest of your collection I am thinking to myself. I would really like to see all of your custom polearms together in one picture after you receive this. I seem to remember that you have a pretty extensive collection of them.

Scott

Chris Landwehr 10/10/49-1/1/09 My Mom
Michael Pikula
Industry Professional

PostPosted: Fri 23 Oct, 2009 7:32 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

This morning I woke up, and the spear was missing, it is traveling to its new home! As promised, here are some pictures of the final piece with which I am very happy with. Please feel free to leave comments thoughts and ideas.

Attachment: 99.84 KB
H3.jpg

Attachment: 91.76 KB
H_group.jpg

Attachment: 90 KB
L3-group.jpg

Attachment: 83.33 KB
LP_group.jpg

Attachment: 97.7 KB
T_group.jpg

Attachment: 92.61 KB
P2_group.jpg

Attachment: 93.89 KB
B1_group.jpg

Attachment: 89.66 KB
100_3982.jpg

Michael Pikula
Industry Professional

PostPosted: Fri 23 Oct, 2009 7:33 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Last one for scale and proportions, so happy together!

Attachment: 91.48 KB
100_3989.jpg

Mike Capanelli

Reading list: 5 books

PostPosted: Fri 23 Oct, 2009 8:21 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

God I can't wait for work to pick up again so I can start my own project. Just top notch work Michael. I'm excited for Jean and do hope he'll be sharing his thoughts when it arrives. Wow man, wow.
Winter is coming
Jeremy V. Krause

Reading list: 1 book

Spotlight topics: 1

Feedback score: 100%
(1 total ▮ 100% positive)
PostPosted: Fri 23 Oct, 2009 8:50 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

That's really something Michael!

I love it! I know Jean will be thrilled but I must admit to being a little annoyed at finally tempted to pick up a pole weapon being inspired by such an impressive piece! My early time period interests are already too expensive and now being tempted to move forward 300 years- UUGHH!!
Evil Big Grin

Jeremy
Tim Lison

Reading list: 6 books

(11 total ▮ 100% positive)
PostPosted: Fri 23 Oct, 2009 9:13 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Gorgeous weapon! No surprise that Michael has done another terrific job! I love the look of the languettes and the butt cap! Such an impressive piece. Jean, you are alucky man! I can't wait to hear your impressions. Michael, your list of success is growing!!!!!
Paul Hansen

PostPosted: Fri 23 Oct, 2009 9:52 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Really nice work! I love the attention to the details on this project.
Scott Kowalski

PostPosted: Fri 23 Oct, 2009 11:44 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Bravo Michael! The finished project is truly amazing looking. I agree with Tim whole heartedly. The languettes and butt cap are lovely as is the whole piece. If I may ask to get an idea of the proportions, how tall are you Michael? Keep up the great work. I know I am looking forward to seeing what other projects you have forthcoming! Wink

Jean, you are one lucky man! I am going to reiterate what I said earlier. If you were holding the bridge with this I would wait until either I had archers to pick you off or you decided it was time to leave. Your partisan makes both of my A&A spears look like girly-man toothpicks! WTF?! Or better yet, can I be on your side?

Scott

Michael Eging

PostPosted: Fri 23 Oct, 2009 11:48 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

That is one frightfully wicked looking weapon! Amazing detail as well. Jean, congrats. And congrats on producing such a wonderful piece. Cool
M. Eging
Hamilton, VA
www.silverhornechoes.com
Member of the HEMA Alliance
http://hemaalliance.com/
Jeremy V. Krause

Reading list: 1 book

(1 total ▮ 100% positive)
PostPosted: Fri 23 Oct, 2009 4:20 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Michael,

I believe earlier you mentioned something about a bit of silver inlay in the langets or something- did you decide to forego that?

Jeremy
Jean Thibodeau

PostPosted: Fri 23 Oct, 2009 6:50 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Jeremy V. Krause wrote:
Michael,

I believe earlier you mentioned something about a bit of silver inlay in the langets or something- did you decide to forego that?

Jeremy

If you look closely at the junction of socket and languettes there seems to be a little step or narrow band that might be silver ?

At least I think this is what Michael was talking about ?

Oh, I am very pleased to say the least based on the pics and I will certainly give my impressions about the spear ( Partisan ) when I have it in hand about the stuff that pics don't show like handling and other more tactile impressions.

At the very least I can repeat again that Michael took my concept drawing and made it better while still respecting my intent.

If it looks " dangerous " and " menacing " as well as aesthetically awesome then it really met it's design objectives and surpassed them by a large margin.

Also remember that the wait time on this piece from design to finish was very fast as far as most custom jobs tend to usually take years and not a few months and Michael was very easy to work with and could almost read my mind as far as what I was looking for.

Anyway, will get back to this some time in the next week or two depending on how fast the shipping goes. Wink Big Grin

Note if someone else wants the same spear made for themselves Michael has my consent to make as many as he wants as I always find it more satisfying to have others liking and wanting one of my designs than my having an exclusive.

Last edited by Jean Thibodeau on Fri 23 Oct, 2009 9:24 pm; edited 2 times in total
Jean Thibodeau

PostPosted: Fri 23 Oct, 2009 6:59 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Scott Kowalski wrote:

Jean, you are one lucky man! I am going to reiterate what I said earlier. If you were holding the bridge with this I would wait until either I had archers to pick you off or you decided it was time to leave. Your partisan makes both of my A&A spears look like girly-man toothpicks! WTF?! Or better yet, can I be on your side?

Scott

Sure you can stand besides me on the " dream/fantasy " bridge and hold back the hordes of Orcs or whatever exits in that Alternate Universe ..... bring a few archers and crossbowmen and your favourite sword, spear and armour and a few friends. Wink Big Grin Cool

Oh, a buffet table with wine, cheese, meats, sushi, etc .... for taking breaks from fighting on the bridge: Sort of Valhalla with good catering. ( Hey it's my fantasy I'll organize it the way I like it. Wink Razz Big Grin ).

Scott Kowalski

PostPosted: Sat 24 Oct, 2009 5:21 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Jean Thibodeau wrote:
Scott Kowalski wrote:

Scott

Sure you can stand besides me on the " dream/fantasy " bridge and hold back the hordes of Orcs or whatever exits in that Alternate Universe ..... bring a few archers and crossbowmen and your favourite sword, spear and armour and a few friends. Wink Big Grin Cool

Oh, a buffet table with wine, cheese, meats, sushi, etc .... for taking breaks from fighting on the bridge: Sort of Valhalla with good catering. ( Hey it's my fantasy I'll organize it the way I like it. Wink Razz Big Grin ).

Very cool Jean. I look forward to serving with you in Valhalla! I would bring one of my spears but am afraid it would feel inadequate when it was next to your Partisan! Eek! So I think I will just go with sword and shield and let you pot shot people over my shoulder with that thing.

What are the chances of getting some Guinness on the buffet table?

I am also looking forwards to your hands on review when you do receive the partisan.

Scott

Felix R.

PostPosted: Sat 24 Oct, 2009 7:50 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Scott Kowalski wrote:
Jean Thibodeau wrote:
Scott Kowalski wrote:

Scott

Very cool Jean. I look forward to serving with you in Valhalla! I would bring one of my spears but am afraid it would feel inadequate when it was next to your Partisan! Eek! So I think I will just go with sword and shield and let you pot shot people over my shoulder with that thing.

What are the chances of getting some Guinness on the buffet table?

I am also looking forwards to your hands on review when you do receive the partisan.

Scott

Well Scott, you would have to do all the dirty work then. Because Jean, in his efforts to avoid getting his spear stained just after having received it, will dodge and avoid all enemy contact, while feasting his eyes on the nice piece Wink

Have fun with this nice piece Jean.

Forum Index > Makers and Manufacturers Talk > Early Partizan Spear project for Jean Thibodeau
Page 4 of 6 Reply to topic
Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next All times are GMT - 8 Hours

View previous topic :: View next topic
Jump to: