Info Favorites Register Log in
myArmoury.com Discussion Forums

Forum index Memberlist Usergroups Spotlight Topics Search
Forum Index > Off-topic Talk > Are there any movies that show armored cuirassiers? Reply to topic
This is a standard topic  
Adam D. Kent-Isaac

Reading list: 2 books

Spotlight topics: 1

PostPosted: Thu 10 Sep, 2009 1:36 am    Post subject: Are there any movies that show armored cuirassiers?         Reply with quote

Is there any movie which shows cuirassiers of the Thirty Years' War era, fully armored? If the answer is yes, I would really like to know. Thanks in advance for any help.
Pastime With Good Company
Helge B.

PostPosted: Thu 10 Sep, 2009 3:14 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Two movies come into my mind even though they are not of about the TYW itself:

- Cromwell (1970) shows a royalist charge of cuirassiers in black 3/4 armour at the Battle of Naseby

- Alatriste (2006) depicts a french cuirassier charge at a spanish tercio in the Battle of Rocroi
Helge B.

PostPosted: Thu 10 Sep, 2009 3:24 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

You can watch both scenes on youtube:

Cromwell: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pF5Okp6kD4w&am...mp;index=5

Alatriste: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=je-c81wwrpA
M. Eversberg II

Reading list: 3 books

PostPosted: Thu 10 Sep, 2009 5:15 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Helge, what battle of the ECW was that?

M.

This space for rent or lease.
View user's profile Send private message AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger ICQ Number
Helge B.

PostPosted: Thu 10 Sep, 2009 7:57 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

I think it should depict the Battle of Naseby even though it had nothing in common with the historical battle.

The royalist cavalry under Rupert broke the parlamentarian cavalry on one flank while Cromwell was successfull on the other. So there was no direct melee between Rupert and Cromwell as shown in the movie. The parlamentarians won because they were able to rally their cavalry and flank the infantry.

Anyway AFAIK the royalists did not have any heavy cuirassiers at all (besides some individuals maybe). I only know of one unit completely equipped in this manner which were Hazelrigg's lobsters. And he was a MP.
Adam D. Kent-Isaac

PostPosted: Thu 10 Sep, 2009 9:33 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

I remember reading that the Earl of Essex's personal life-guard were all fully armored heavy cavalry.
Pastime With Good Company
Daniel Staberg

PostPosted: Thu 10 Sep, 2009 10:46 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

The cuirassiers and other cavalry in "Alatriste" are in fact wearing the very same armours that were used in "Cromwell".
Ben P.

Reading list: 1 book

PostPosted: Thu 10 Sep, 2009 11:17 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

With Fire and Sword it came out in 1999 and at the time was the most expensive Polish Film ever made it's about Hussars which have Cuirassier Armour.
Daniel Staberg

PostPosted: Thu 10 Sep, 2009 11:22 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Hussars dd not wear "cuirassier" armour.
http://public.carnet.hr/husar/polish1.htm is rather diffrent from that worn by a cuirassier http://public.carnet.hr/husar/cuiras1.htm not to mention that the armour used by the hussars in the early 17th century relied even more on mail for protection http://public.carnet.hr/husar/hussar03.htm
Jean Henri Chandler

PostPosted: Thu 10 Sep, 2009 2:17 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Ben P. wrote:
With Fire and Sword it came out in 1999 and at the time was the most expensive Polish Film ever made it's about Hussars which have Cuirassier Armour.

There are also two other films in that series "the deluge" and "colonel Wolodyjowski" all excellent films and they all show various battles, including hussar charges, cossacks, and in one of the films an incredible fortification defense.

Also a partiuclarly good saber duel in "the deluge" which is well known to the HEMA community, since it's one of the very few depictions of a realistic sword fight with something other than a rapier or a smallsword, and one of a very very small number in any film less than 40 years old.

J

Books and games on Medieval Europe Codex Integrum

Codex Guide to the Medieval Baltic Now available in print
Helge B.

PostPosted: Thu 10 Sep, 2009 3:08 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Quote:
The cuirassiers and other cavalry in "Alatriste" are in fact wearing the very same armours that were used in "Cromwell".

Daniel, that sounds interesting Where do you got this information from? If I compare the scenes closely the armour looks very different to me. In the Cromwell movie they had black armour with long tassets and some kind of closed burgonet without vizors. In the Alatriste movie I only saw open faced burgonets and some blurred "white" half-armours.
Helge B.

PostPosted: Thu 10 Sep, 2009 3:33 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

The most authentic presentation of TYW cuirassier armour I saw was in a german TV production of Schiller's Wallenstein somewhere in the 80s. There is this famous scene where some of Pappenheim's cuirassier ask Wallenstein if he is in negotation with the swedes and he answers "Thus I recognize my Pappenheimers" (what has become a common german proverb).

Already as a child I was fascinated by the grim look of that black 3/4 armour.
Luka Borscak

PostPosted: Thu 10 Sep, 2009 3:40 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Daniel Staberg wrote:
Hussars dd not wear "cuirassier" armour.
http://public.carnet.hr/husar/polish1.htm is rather diffrent from that worn by a cuirassier http://public.carnet.hr/husar/cuiras1.htm not to mention that the armour used by the hussars in the early 17th century relied even more on mail for protection http://public.carnet.hr/husar/hussar03.htm

I know it's off topic, but I have to... Wink
The pictures you posted are by Velimir Vukšič, Croatian painter. He and a few others illustrated one book which I have, "Hrvati, slike iz ratničke prošlosti" (Croats, pictures from warrior history), and it is a great book with short Croatian history from 7th to 19th century, with a great number of beautiful pictures of warriors, battles, arms and armor. It's a shame I don't have a scanner to scan some of them, they are really great as you can see in these few.
David Wilson

PostPosted: Thu 10 Sep, 2009 6:14 pm    Post subject: Re: Are there any movies that show armored cuirassiers?         Reply with quote

Adam D. Kent-Isaac wrote:
Is there any movie which shows cuirassiers of the Thirty Years' War era, fully armored? If the answer is yes, I would really like to know. Thanks in advance for any help.

Doesn't The Last Valley show this? It's been a while since I've seen it...

David K. Wilson, Jr.
Laird of Glencoe

Now available on Amazon: Franklin Posner's "Suburban Vampire: A Tale of the Human Condition -- With Vampires" https://www.amazon.com/dp/B072N7Y591

Forum Index > Off-topic Talk > Are there any movies that show armored cuirassiers?
Page 1 of 1 Reply to topic