Info Favorites Register Log in
myArmoury.com Discussion Forums

Forum index Memberlist Usergroups Spotlight Topics Search

myArmoury.com is now completely member-supported. Please contribute to our efforts with a donation. Your donations will go towards updating our site, modernizing it, and keeping it viable long-term.
Last 10 Donors: Daniel Sullivan, Anonymous, Chad Arnow, Jonathan Dean, M. Oroszlany, Sam Arwas, Barry C. Hutchins, Dan Kary, Oskar Gessler, Dave Tonge (View All Donors)

Forum Index > Off-topic Talk > An unusual German short sword. Reply to topic
This is a standard topic  
Nathan M Wuorio

Reading list: 3 books

PostPosted: Sat 05 Sep, 2009 2:56 pm    Post subject: An unusual German short sword.         Reply with quote

I found this while browsing some antiques sites and thought eveyrone might find it interesting.

http://www.joesalter.com/detail.php?f_qryitem=11566

A very strange hilt to be sure, I have never seen anything like it.

Nathan.
Stefan Toivonen

PostPosted: Sat 05 Sep, 2009 5:39 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

To me the hilt looks very "art deco"ish for being a very briquet like looking sword. I have to say I like it.
Anders Backlund

PostPosted: Sun 06 Sep, 2009 5:40 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Eeeeenteresting.

Apparently something that was serial produced, but I've never seen anything like it before.

The sword is an ode to the strife of mankind.

"This doesn't look easy... but I bet it is!"
-Homer Simpson.
Glen A Cleeton

PostPosted: Sun 06 Sep, 2009 2:05 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

I love this one and had dubbed it my mind as Spaceship Ruthy. The deco/spaceship look is not a common one. Although I have not found it in books, one authority on the genre of hangers and short swords of German make thinks this one was likely very much described by Joe Salter as probably meant for the South American market (although one can't discount the Netherlands, Belgium and others). Likely a police sword of one nation or another.

Salter tends to price at a premium on his site and although I had been told straight out once that he won't bargain, I have watched the same representative at another show cut a deal over the phone. That, though was a mid four figure priced sword.

As far as service from the sales itself, it has been exemplary, as they had even taken a sword I was interested in to the Hartford show, where I was to pick it up. It wasn't there the second day (Joe was off to another auction), so I ended up paying for shipping the day after I was at the show.

At any rate, an interesting sword but pricy for what it is. I wish there was an open shop for his wares, as it would be neat (and conveniently located) to visit and browse. There is a quite nice beaded spadroon on the list as of late and not really unreasonable at the price. A shame about the etching damage though, one I'd actually like to own despite that.

Cheers

GC

Forum Index > Off-topic Talk > An unusual German short sword.
Page 1 of 1 Reply to topic