Info Favorites Register Log in
myArmoury.com Discussion Forums

Forum index Memberlist Usergroups Spotlight Topics Search
Forum Index > Historical Arms Talk > Revival.us14th c. Gambeson / Italian Zuparello Reply to topic
This is a standard topic  

Was this helpful in any way?
Yes
100%
 100%  [ 10 ]
No
0%
 0%  [ 0 ]
Total Votes : 10

Hadrian Coffin
Industry Professional

PostPosted: Thu 03 Sep, 2009 10:26 pm    Post subject: Revival.us14th c. Gambeson / Italian Zuparello         Reply with quote

Hello,
There has been much talk about the Revival.us14th c. Gambeson / Italian Zuparello, I just bought one so I thought I'd share my impressions. The weight seems a bit thin to be a standalone armour for longsword, which is unfortunate as that was my intended use. It has a fairly short turn around, and has a low price, making it a very attractive option for buyers. I purchased it because I needed something quick and functional for the rapidly approaching WMAW. I considered the Revival clothing one as well, but as I can sew and make my own I decided $400 was not worth spending on something I intend to replace. Since I plan on making a new one shortly the Revival.us zuparello seemed a nice buy for the time being. I am 5'10" 180lbs and have a 39.5in chest, the size M sounded made for me. On first inspection the sewing, especially that of the buttons, seems shoddy. Only time will tell how well it holds up. The garment is misshapen. If I lift my arms up the whole garment rises, if I put my arms down two wings are formed on either side of my shoulder blades! Were I wanting a 14th century zuparello for living history or daily WMA practice I would not buy this. As an interim piece while making or waiting for something better, it seems functional. It is cheap, comes quickly, and you don't have to worry about it tearing or getting stained because you can always replace it. I am 65% pleased with the piece, I had hoped for better, I had been prepared for worse.
Best,
Hadrian Happy

Historia magistra vitae est
Shawn Henthorn

Reading list: 5 books

PostPosted: Thu 03 Sep, 2009 11:43 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Thanks Hadrian,
Just a couple of notes..yes the fit is weird..the underarms fit fine on me but the bottom gives me a tail Big Grin ..On the weight however it really is not ment for steel long sword but rather the Schola kevlar blunts or our shinai system. When I first purchased mine the buttons seemed to be really weakly sown but after a year of fighting in it and 15 or so washings I have yet to lose one. I will definenty agree it does not hold a candle to the Revivalclothing gambeson over all, but for the price and my intended use it is "o.k."
David E. Farrell

PostPosted: Fri 04 Sep, 2009 7:50 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Hadrian, I commend you for posting an honest review. It is often the case where folks don't want to share the bad/mediocre stuff.

that said, your review agrees pretty well with what i have seen of these garments. There are certainly better ones out there. And like many things - you get what you pay for.

BTW - hopefully I'll get to meet you at WMAW. I'll be one of the 'green shirts' running around from the CSG.

AKA: 'Sparky' (so I don't need to explain later Wink )

For he today that sheds his blood with me shall be my brother
-- King Henry, Henry V, William Shakespeare

Before I came here I was confused about this subject. Having listened to your lecture I am still confused... but on a higher level.
-- Enrico Fermi

Forum Index > Historical Arms Talk > Revival.us14th c. Gambeson / Italian Zuparello
Page 1 of 1 Reply to topic