Info Favorites Register Log in
myArmoury.com Discussion Forums

Forum index Memberlist Usergroups Spotlight Topics Search
Forum Index > Historical Arms Talk > Favorite Pole Arms Reply to topic
This is a standard topic  
Alain D.

Reading list: 5 books

PostPosted: Tue 18 Aug, 2009 9:10 pm    Post subject: Favorite Pole Arms         Reply with quote

What are your favorite historical pole arms and their modern reproductions and why? (infantry and/or cavalry)

To me it seems like a pole axe like the A&A Knightly Pole Axe would be the most effective infantry weapon and suitable for the most conditions (cavalry, heavy armor, light armor, parrying edged weapons, ect...).

-Alain D.
Jean Thibodeau

Reading list: 1 book

Spotlight topics: 5

PostPosted: Tue 18 Aug, 2009 9:27 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Well the plain ordinary spear has a lot going for it as it's faster than some of the more elaborate pole arms.

The plain quarter staff is even faster.

The " Italian Bill " just looks mean with all the spiky things and hooks.

The classic " Danish Axe ", simple and brutal.

A lugged spear or Partisan: Spear on Steroids. Wink

Well, one can focus on aesthetics, combat use/martial arts or a bit of both.

You can easily give up your freedom. You have to fight hard to get it back!
Nick Larking

Reading list: 12 books

PostPosted: Tue 18 Aug, 2009 9:53 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

The lesser known JI, an asian polarm.
The reason i love it is because it has a great slashing ability as well as being able to pull someone.
One of the few asian weapons i really like.

Attachment: 95.31 KB
[ Download ]
Tim Lison

Reading list: 6 books

Spotlight topics: 1

PostPosted: Tue 18 Aug, 2009 10:46 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

The good ole' spear is my top. Simple yet effective. I also really like the Lochaber axe, something about the hook just makes me smile!
Timo Nieminen

PostPosted: Wed 19 Aug, 2009 12:31 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Short spear with long blade, preferably winged/lugged. A partisan or jumonji yari would be ideal. From about 6 feet to 2 metres total length.

From a combat perspective: Fast and agile, can cut. Lugs/wings/etc are useful for pushing, pulling, hooking; being able to (try to) control an opposing longer spear this way makes up for the reduced reach. Light, easy to carry, will fit indoors. Can use in close.

From an aesthetic perspective: Spears can be beautiful. E.g.,
http://www.huanuosword.com/e/asp/english/product.asp?id=413

But my bill is very effective against armour - or was, until I broke the shaft Sad
Chris Kelson

Reading list: 26 books

PostPosted: Wed 19 Aug, 2009 5:35 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

So many possibles to choose from.
Halberds would be my number one choice, though with so many designs to choose from its hard to pick one, though I have a definite love for the mid/late 15th Century designs over the earlier more blocky or later, lighter forms.
Though I have recently developed a bit of fondness for the Goetendag, though unfortunately lacking the bent rusty nails and spikes that many weapons of that type come with, for safety purposes in reenactment combat.
Elling Polden

Spotlight topics: 1

PostPosted: Wed 19 Aug, 2009 5:55 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Probably the glaive, for it's smoothness and handling.
Combining a long cutting edge with a socket mounted blade, it is easy to keep aligned, and positively deadly against soft targets.
It also works like a charm in reenactment, especially against people with small/ no shields...

"this [fight] looks curious, almost like a game. See, they are looking around them before they fall, to find a dry spot to fall on, or they are falling on their shields. Can you see blood on their cloths and weapons? No. This must be trickery."
-Reidar Sendeman, from King Sverre's Saga, 1201
Lafayette C Curtis

Reading list: 7 books

PostPosted: Sun 23 Aug, 2009 2:10 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

A lance! Sticking people (or things, if you don't want to break the law) at high speed from horseback is nothing if not Fun with a capital F.
Lou Weaver

PostPosted: Sun 23 Aug, 2009 5:11 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

kaor ! The glaive type weapons, naginata fo' shure! As a side note, the elvish sword in the LOTR movies should have been a true polearm, that would have been more acurate.
'...you know best the promptings of yor own heart. that i shall need your sword i have little doubt, but accept from john carter upon his sacred honor the assurance that he will never call upon you to draw this sword other than in the cause of truth, justice and righteousness.'
Hendrik De Coster

PostPosted: Sat 29 Aug, 2009 11:14 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

definetly the pollaxe! and even more the one i made myself (don't have the budget to buy a lot of weapons). i'm really fond of this weapon, and really like it's abillety to keep on going with the attacks, coming from all sides!
offcourse i'm biased since recently i became champion in my first tournament thanks to this weapon;)

here's a picture of my fighting in the tournament( the one on the right), the pollaxes we used were from the organising club
http://picasaweb.google.be/nevelgheest/Schild...4640246002
Scott Kowalski

PostPosted: Sat 29 Aug, 2009 11:40 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

It is so hard to choose.

The spear has to be up there for simple ease of use. Plus the fact that it is possibly one of the most readily available weapons around. I personally own two already.

I also will second Elling's choice of the glaive. A more multi-purpose version of a spear if you will. I have an idea of what I would like for one that I will have made someday.

Though something about poleaxes does speak to my more primal sword. Need to stab someone? How about chop at them? Or just hammer away at them? Then get yourself a good poleaxe. THese are a little later then my main area of interest but I still want one. I am just not sure if I want the A&A Knightly or Burgundian one.

Scott

Chris Landwehr 10/10/49-1/1/09 My Mom
Ben P.

PostPosted: Sat 29 Aug, 2009 12:33 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Lou Weaver wrote:
kaor ! The glaive type weapons, naginata fo' shure! As a side note, the elvish sword in the LOTR movies should have been a true polearm, that would have been more acurate.

That was actually for all intents and purposes a Thracian Rhomphaia Cool

My favorite polearm would be a poleaxe or a Kopia
Jeff Marlin

PostPosted: Sun 30 Aug, 2009 6:10 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

They're all fun.
My personal favorites are the Dane axe with a swept-forward blade (type L), and that marvelous Hungarian Axe from our friends at Arms & Armour.
It seems funny that there are so many choices for good swords, and relatively few for good polearms. Arms & Armour, of course, then if Eric McHugh posts something and I'm magically rich. Of course axes on that level are worth what he charges, but there seem to be relatively few in the "good production" category, and even fewer custom makers who seem to do them.
And then there's the matter of doing them right. People seem to have a hard time with the lines in Norse design. A type L axe is a symphony of curves (you can see most of the lines of a longship in one if you look at it). And correspondingly hard to copy properly. (See the recent thread on the Viking Sword from Christies for an informed discussion of these kind of lines.)

Oh, spears are nice too. I rather like the Zulu iklwa (sp?) design. Very short shaft gives you some devastating close quarter options. Too bad there really doesn't seem to be a European equivalent.

"With love and action shall a man live in memory and in song."

"Farmer, those are hideous weapons!"

Forum Index > Historical Arms Talk > Favorite Pole Arms
Page 1 of 1 Reply to topic