Info Favorites Register Log in
myArmoury.com Discussion Forums

Forum index Memberlist Usergroups Spotlight Topics Search
Forum Index > Off-topic Talk > tang shoulder Reply to topic
This is a standard topic  
Lou Weaver

PostPosted: Wed 12 Aug, 2009 1:43 pm    Post subject: tang shoulder         Reply with quote

kaor all! a simple querry, is an angled tang shoulder stronger than a squared and is this more dificult to produce?
'...you know best the promptings of yor own heart. that i shall need your sword i have little doubt, but accept from john carter upon his sacred honor the assurance that he will never call upon you to draw this sword other than in the cause of truth, justice and righteousness.'
Hadrian Coffin
Industry Professional

PostPosted: Wed 12 Aug, 2009 2:05 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Yes it is stronger. I personally don't think it is any more difficult to produce. An angled shoulder is not always appropriate for every time period. There are other variants as well (rounded shoulders, sloped shoulders, etc.).
Best
Hadrian

Historia magistra vitae est
Jean Thibodeau

Reading list: 1 book

Spotlight topics: 5

PostPosted: Wed 12 Aug, 2009 2:09 pm    Post subject: Re: tang shoulder         Reply with quote

Lou Weaver wrote:
kaor all! a simple querry, is an angled tang shoulder stronger than a squared and is this more dificult to produce?

On another topic we did discuss an angled shoulder and I think the angle is not really important as much as having a radiused corner and personally the larger the diameter of the radius ( within reason ) the better.
http://www.myArmoury.com/talk/viewtopic.php?t=17274&start=20

But a sharp 90 degree corner is a stress riser which is bad design and creates a weak point where all the stress gets concentrated: It's almost like folding a piece of paper to tear it as the fold concentrates the stress and it becomes easy to tear the paper in a strait line.

With a curve in the corner the forces get spread over a large area instead of at a precise point.

You can easily give up your freedom. You have to fight hard to get it back!
Jim Mearkle

Reading list: 3 books

PostPosted: Wed 12 Aug, 2009 2:39 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

When cracks develop in aircraft or bridges, one thing they do is drill a hole at the head of the crack. The larger radius spreads the force over a larger area, keeping the crack from growing.

A 90 degree corner has a very small radius, concentrating the stress at that point. You can still have a 90 degree shoulder if you fillet (fill-it, not fil-ay) the corner on, say a 1/4 or 1.2 inch radius.

Jim
Jared Smith

Spotlight topics: 3

PostPosted: Wed 12 Aug, 2009 2:49 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

The radius concepts are correct. A 90 degree corner has infinite stress theoretically ( in cutting direction tang versus blade moments). You could have a mostly square blade shoulder as long where the shoulder meets the tang there is a radius comparable to the radii you see on "angled shoulders". The nice thing about the assembly of the guard to the blade is that some of a large radius can be concealed within the guard. If you had to forge - "drift" or punch the shoulder recess into that guard, the angled shoulder profile would be easier in my opinion. (I have not tried it yet as I am only starting small blades.)
Absence of evidence is not necessarily evidence of absence!

Forum Index > Off-topic Talk > tang shoulder
Page 1 of 1 Reply to topic