Info Favorites Register Log in
myArmoury.com Discussion Forums

Forum index Memberlist Usergroups Spotlight Topics Search
Forum Index > Historical Arms Talk > Naval Sword Reply to topic
This is a standard topic  
Daniel Sullivan

PostPosted: Mon 10 Aug, 2009 11:19 am    Post subject: Naval Sword         Reply with quote

I have a lead on a U. S. Naval Officer's sword that may be of some historical significance. It probably dates from around 1910-1920.The maker's inscription on the ricasso reads: B. Pasquale San Francisco.

Does anyone have have any suggestions on how to track down the history of this fellow?

When, and if, I am able to lay my hands on this item I will post photos and a provenance.

Dan
Glen A Cleeton

PostPosted: Mon 10 Aug, 2009 2:35 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Hi Daniel,

Is the sword quite striaght and very narrow in the blade, or does it have a good bit of curve? Pasquale is listed as operating from 1854 at at 103 Fifth Avenue B, then at 115-1 17 Post St. from 1879 until 1950. Presumably both in San Francisco but I need to check the earlier address a bit better to confirm SF (apparently correct). I am snipping this from another source.

Started in 1854 at 103 Fifth Avenue B. and 115-1 17 Post St. San Francisco, B. PASQUALE COMPANY (Benoit Pasquale) were the only manufacturers of "Army and Navy Equipments and Uniforms" on the pacific coast. Their motto was "Quality and Fit Guaranteed". They soon branched out into all areas of militaria, and Masonic, Park Service to name a few other forays. And through the early 1900's had few others that rivaled their diversity and quality. Very little information is found outside of the period catalogs and I am not positive, but, I believe they were absorbed by others after WW2.

http://navalswords.com/_wsn/page3.html

I have seen some quite fancy presentation swords and others quite plain from the seller/manufacturer. My feelings is that there is a very strong Ames connection throughout the company's selling of swords. This garnered from light cavalry swords exported to Mexico and of great resemblence to those Ames swords. It is also possible that the affiliation regarding those cavalry swords had been first imported through the Boker family.

Are you looking to identify the original owner? You mention the seller's etch but not a personalized blade etch? Further on that link above, there (iirc) information for roughly dating these naval swords. Up into the 1870s, the original U.S. pattern was quite a wide blade. Becoming narrower in the 1872+ era, the width of blade is reduced and then post WWII swords are quite slim and almost dead straight.

As a general sutler type of company, the swords were not the only material marked to them and pounding the pavement some more with the company name, more may become apparent for timeline. Absolutely, the best judge of time is an officer's name, if so displayed.

Cheers

GC

Note added

I now have Benoit in San Francisco as early as 1849
Daniel Sullivan

PostPosted: Mon 10 Aug, 2009 7:00 pm    Post subject: Naval Sword         Reply with quote

Glen,

Many thanks you for the quick and comprehensive reply.

My only interest is in providing information to the present custodian to assist him in properly identifying and attaching a value to the sword. I am campaigning to have it donated to a specific museum and now have a third party involved, so things are moving along.

Hope to have my mitts on the sword in a few weeks and will then post much more information and photos.

Regards,
dan.

Forum Index > Historical Arms Talk > Naval Sword
Page 1 of 1 Reply to topic