Info Favorites Register Log in
myArmoury.com Discussion Forums

Forum index Memberlist Usergroups Spotlight Topics Search
Forum Index > Makers and Manufacturers Talk > Sword from Anglos-Saxon manuscript drawing Reply to topic
This is a standard topic  
Michael Pearce
Industry Professional

Feedback score: None
PostPosted: Fri 07 Aug, 2009 10:16 am    Post subject: Sword from Anglos-Saxon manuscript drawing         Reply with quote

Oakeshott Type: XII
Overall Length: 40-3/4 inches
Blade Length: 34-1/2 inches
Blade width @ Base: 1-3/4 inches
Blade Width 3 inches from point: 7/8 inch
Blade Thickness @ Base: .207 inch
Blade Thickness 2 inches from Point: .076 inch
Hilt Overall Length: 6-1/4 inches
Length of Handle: 4-1/4 inches
Guard Type: Unclassified
Pommel Type: B
Center of Gravity: 4-3/4 inches from guard
Location of Blade Node (measured from Guard): 23-1/2 inches
Primary Hilt Node: approx. 1/2 inch from cross on handle
Weight: 2lbs 7 oz
Single-hand sword Circa 1100-1200 AD. Blade is 5160 spring steel hardened to HRc52-53, excepting the tang and shoulder of the blade which are selectively drawn to HRc 45-48. Furniture is Mild Steel, with the guard hand-forged to shape; some minor hammer-marks are still visible on the inside of the guard. The handle is sandwhiched hardwood wrapped in linen cord and covered with a dark purple leather. Hilt components are secured with epoxy. The tang is passed through the pommel and peened to secure the hilt. The sword will be provided with a leather scabbard that is reinforced at the throat and chape with additional leather, though I may make a leather-covered wooden scabbard with steel furniture; this would increase the price significantly.

This sword is not based on an extant historical example but is based on a drawing from an Anglo-saxon manuscript (BM MS Cotton Nero C.IV) as shown in 'Records of the Medieval Sword' by Ewart Oakeshott on page 77, figure iii. This shows a long, narrow sword, possibly a Type XI (which Type this sword might arguably be shoe-horned into) in it's scabbard. I was rather charmed by this simple drawing and the proportions of the sword illustrated and made this sword as a result. I am quite pleased with the result; the sword is quite light and handy and while the blade is beautifully flexible it feels quite rigid in the hand with no trace of whippiness in handling.

Michael 'Tinker' Pearce
-------------
Then one night, as my car was going backwards through a cornfield at 90mph, I had an epiphany...
Tim Lison

Reading list: 6 books

Spotlight topics: 1

Feedback score: 100%
(11 total ▮ 100% positive)
PostPosted: Fri 07 Aug, 2009 10:48 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Damn fine sword! I really like the shape of the brazil nut. The purple grip looks really nice too. One question, how much consideration did you give to adding the decorative file/drill marks that appear to be in the illustration? I think you were right to leave them out and keep this sword cleaner but I am curious...
Michael Pearce
Industry Professional

PostPosted: Fri 07 Aug, 2009 4:01 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Tim Lison wrote:
One question, how much consideration did you give to adding the decorative file/drill marks that appear to be in the illustration? I think you were right to leave them out and keep this sword cleaner but I am curious...

I gave it quite a bit of thought, but in the end I decided to leave it clean. Thanks!

Michael 'Tinker' Pearce
-------------
Then one night, as my car was going backwards through a cornfield at 90mph, I had an epiphany...
Luka Borscak

(1 total ▮ 100% positive)
PostPosted: Fri 07 Aug, 2009 6:09 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Oh, yes, another beautiful sword. It does look good clean, but I always wondered how would look a reproduction with the holes. Wink
J.D. Crawford

Spotlight topics: 1

(5 total ▮ 100% positive)
PostPosted: Sat 08 Aug, 2009 7:35 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

I am also a fan of the sword in that drawing, although doesn't the manuscript date to 950-1000?

Unfortunately I just bought a couple of swords, so I'm out of the running for a while. Has a price been set yet?

Will there be more...any chance of it going into production with your partners?
Michael Pearce
Industry Professional

PostPosted: Sat 08 Aug, 2009 8:41 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

J.D. Crawford wrote:
I am also a fan of the sword in that drawing, although doesn't the manuscript date to 950-1000?

Unfortunately I just bought a couple of swords, so I'm out of the running for a while. Has a price been set yet?

Will there be more...any chance of it going into production with your partners?

Honestly I was basing the date off of similar swords, not the manuscript; I probably should have checked. Certainly the sword's style isn't inconsistent with the period that I've placed it in. The price of the sword has been set and can be seen on the Items For sale page on my website at Tinkerswords.com.

CAS/Hanwei has no plan to produce this- or a similar sword- at this time; currently I am waiting on delivery of the production versions of the next two swords in the Tinker Line; The Norman, in both sharp and re-enactment blunt versions and the Great Sword of War. These swords should arrive late next week, about the time they will arrive on dealer's shelves. These swords feature peened-tang construction in addition to the usual features of swords of this line. They are supposed to have 'rolled' or 'appleseed' edges.

As for new models like this sword in the line, until the economy improves the line will continue to expand slowly and in a very conservative fashion.

Michael 'Tinker' Pearce
-------------
Luka Borscak

PostPosted: Sat 08 Aug, 2009 6:47 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Mr. Pierce, the Hanwei site states that Great swords of war will be dismountable, you say they are going to be peened, what is the thing?
Michael Pearce
Industry Professional

PostPosted: Sat 08 Aug, 2009 7:08 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

OK- That's weird... in all of our discussions of this sword we specified a peened tang. I'll ask the folks at Hanwei when they get back in the office on Monday.
Michael 'Tinker' Pearce
-------------
Luka Borscak

PostPosted: Sat 08 Aug, 2009 7:18 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Thanks, I look forward to your answer. If it is peened I'll start saving right away. Wink

Forum Index > Makers and Manufacturers Talk > Sword from Anglos-Saxon manuscript drawing
Page 1 of 1 Reply to topic