Info Favorites Register Log in
myArmoury.com Discussion Forums

Forum index Memberlist Usergroups Spotlight Topics Search
Forum Index > Off-topic Talk > Most abusable sword? Reply to topic
This is a standard topic Go to page 1, 2  Next 
Jon Sama

PostPosted: Fri 31 Jul, 2009 1:10 pm    Post subject: Most abusable sword?         Reply with quote

Hey Gents. This is my first post here.

ive searched through the site regaurding "the toughest" most abusable blades and sword makers. Any recomendations?

thanks

turn it
Bryce Felperin

PostPosted: Fri 31 Jul, 2009 1:28 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

In my experience Lutels are good tough swords that can take some good abuse. I have heard good things about Armor Class also. I also have an Albion Lichtenaur that has held up to some pretty good use, though it take a pretty good divot out of the blade when fighting in armor combat once (hit wrong on vertical protrusion on the other guy's shoulder).

I also have heard good things about the Towton from Museum Replica's too, though I don't think that is in production any more, I may be in error though.

The new Tinker swords at Hanwei are pretty good, but I wouldn't fight with them in Armor. For drills and use outside of armor though I think they are my preference now for cost/value.

Hope this helps,

Bryce
Christopher Gregg

Reading list: 2 books

PostPosted: Fri 31 Jul, 2009 1:28 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Jon, I guess it depends on what "abusable" means to you, but I've seen the guys at Badger Blades at the Ohio Renaissance Faire take one of their "swords" and chop up a concrete block, then bash up a cheap made-in-China sword, and then demonstrate there was no damage done to their sword, edge included. Badger Blades are certainly NOT historical, well-balanced, or meant for real historical sword fighting, but I have to admit, they're really tough! Are they swords in the traditional sense of the word? Well, no, but perhaps they are sword-shaped objects of a martial nature. Even so, I won't be trading any of my Albions, A & A's or Del Tins on one of them. Wink You asked!

Cheers,

Chris

Christopher Gregg

'S Rioghal Mo Dhream!
Jonathan Atkin

Reading list: 4 books

PostPosted: Fri 31 Jul, 2009 3:14 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

not historical but tough Eek! http://www.angelsword.com/
"If I must choose between righteousness and peace, I choose righteousness''. - Theodore Roosevelt
Nat Lamb

PostPosted: Fri 31 Jul, 2009 3:52 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Guy in a group I re-enact with has an armour class, and after a year of twice monthly training with the group, his sword is unmarked. Our non armour class blades all dinged to hell, so I can attest to the abusability of at least the armour class longsword.
Ed S.

PostPosted: Fri 31 Jul, 2009 3:57 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

I have had good experiences with Gen2 swords as far as toughness goes. They are not the most aesthetically pleasing, but they can take some damage!
Luka Borscak

PostPosted: Fri 31 Jul, 2009 5:04 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Nobody came up with Darksword yet??? Wink http://www.darksword-armory.com/
David Wilson

PostPosted: Fri 31 Jul, 2009 5:34 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Angus Trim: http://www.christianfletcher.com/Christian_Fletcher/Welcome.html

(Not that I'm recommending "abuse", but, if you want performance, there you go.)

Now, if you want something to abuse, something cheap but tough, I'd recommend a Machete. No, seriously. A decent machete is much less expensive than a sword and can take a lot more abuse (it's intended as a tool, for gosh sakes). And if you ruin it, you're not out much, just go get another one.

David K. Wilson, Jr.
Laird of Glencoe

Now available on Amazon: Franklin Posner's "Suburban Vampire: A Tale of the Human Condition -- With Vampires" https://www.amazon.com/dp/B072N7Y591
Roger Hooper

Spotlight topics: 4

PostPosted: Fri 31 Jul, 2009 5:53 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Starfire swords are still being made, aren't they? Not sure I'd call them swords, but they are very abusable.
Joe Fults

PostPosted: Fri 31 Jul, 2009 6:40 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Bryce Felperin wrote:
I also have heard good things about the Towton from Museum Replica's too, though I don't think that is in production any more, I may be in error though.

Not that one...do some searching and you should find some old thread about some fairly significant failures for the model...tang snapping at the guard ad the blade flying kinds of stuff.

"The goal shouldn’t be to avoid being evil; it should be to actively do good." - Danah Boyd
Gabriele A. Pini

PostPosted: Fri 31 Jul, 2009 10:33 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Recently I recommend a Hanwei to a friend for his son (sixteen), as a good starter weapon, but I was surprised: the tang snapped after some days...

I buyed a machete like David recommended: it has a year of use and abuse, and only to nicks in the entire blade (courtesy of some extra-pricey swords in the battle of the Castelgrande of Bellinzona).
J. Johansson

PostPosted: Sat 01 Aug, 2009 5:02 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Luka Borscak wrote:

My friend have their Gothic sword, he have put it through some serious abuse and it still stands mighty and undefeated.
J.D. Crawford

Spotlight topics: 1

PostPosted: Sat 01 Aug, 2009 6:14 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

J. Johansson wrote:
Luka Borscak wrote:

My friend have their Gothic sword, he have put it through some serious abuse and it still stands mighty and undefeated.

Darksword swords are the toughest I've seen, affordable, and semi-historical (they could not be so tough if they were historically accurate in the blade department).

The problem is that historical vs. tough are often at odds with each other. Sound construction, good steel and proper tempering make a sword tough, but you can always make it tougher by making the steel thicker and heavier than the originals, at the price of sluggish handling and reduced cutting ability for certain lighter media.

So unless the question is 'what is the toughest historical sword', this site is probably the wrong place to look. 'Sword Buyer's Guide' has all kinds of tests-to-destruction mainly of entry level swords, and often of swords that are overbuilt to be tougher than historical swords were. Nothing wrong with that, but it's not what I am interested in.
Jared Smith

Spotlight topics: 3

PostPosted: Sat 01 Aug, 2009 10:46 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

In addition to the above comments about handling penalties, making the sword thicker than historical counterparts will introduce more drag or friction into test cutting experiences. Many of the classic reproduction models have a solid reputation as "thin" and historically agile that are plenty durable enough for the types of medium to light targets most of us actually subject our replicas to. In historical use against armour these would not remain as new, just as historical blades were commented as becoming "saw toothed" or nicked up in actual battles.

Realistically, the best implements for deliberately beating on armour, wood shields, etc would be; hammers, various clubs and axes, or less costly pole arms and spears.

Absence of evidence is not necessarily evidence of absence!
Chuck Russell

Reading list: 46 books

PostPosted: Sat 01 Aug, 2009 2:01 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Paul Binns. I have tried to beat the heck out of it and have not even scratched it.
Jon Sama

PostPosted: Sun 02 Aug, 2009 2:53 pm    Post subject: wow you guys         Reply with quote

WOW you guys are well versed in swords on this site. im impressed!!

thanks for all you recommendations. im going to look up Armour class and Badger blades.. ive heard good things about Darksword.. does anyone own one, that could recommend them for sure?

ive had Albions bend on me and Angus trims swords outright break on me. so im gonna avoid them in the future!

Thanks

turn it
Glen A Cleeton

PostPosted: Sun 02 Aug, 2009 2:56 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Quote:
ive had Albions bend on me and Angus trims swords outright break on me. so im gonna avoid them in the future!

Pictures please!

Cheers

GC
Adam Smith

PostPosted: Sun 02 Aug, 2009 4:01 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

I read these posts and am truly astonished by the level of ignorance that exists here.Why would you take any instrument and abuse it in a manner it was not meant to be used as a test to its quality. Would you tow a scrap iron trailor with your exotic sports car? Would you hold your best rifle by the barrel and swing the stock against rocks? Do you often use your best chef's knife as a cement trowel? The people that wright and contribute to these posts should limit themselves to large stones and dead wood branches as their istruments or tools of choice. The ancients cared for their weapons and used them for their intended purpose because it was truly a matter of life or death.

Have fun trying to find a sword that will slice through stone walls, cleve the roofs of cars or cut down oaks in a single blow.
Ed S.

PostPosted: Sun 02 Aug, 2009 4:08 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Adam Smith wrote:
I read these posts and am truly astonished by the level of ignorance that exists here.Why would you take any instrument and abuse it in a manner it was not meant to be used as a test to its quality. Would you tow a scrap iron trailor with your exotic sports car? Would you hold your best rifle by the barrel and swing the stock against rocks? Do you often use your best chef's knife as a cement trowel? The people that wright and contribute to these posts should limit themselves to large stones and dead wood branches as their istruments or tools of choice. The ancients cared for their weapons and used them for their intended purpose because it was truly a matter of life or death.

Have fun trying to find a sword that will slice through stone walls, cleve the roofs of cars or cut down oaks in a single blow.

Ummm..because perhaps it is ok to have fun sometimes? That first sentence comes off pretty arrogant, and many have already noted the difference between a sword that is historically accurate and a sword that can be used as a durable beater. We are not "ancients", and I really see nothing wrong with getting a beater sword to hack away at a tire pell or something similar.
Luka Borscak

PostPosted: Sun 02 Aug, 2009 4:12 pm    Post subject: Re: wow you guys         Reply with quote

Jon Sama wrote:
WOW you guys are well versed in swords on this site. im impressed!!

thanks for all you recommendations. im going to look up Armour class and Badger blades.. ive heard good things about Darksword.. does anyone own one, that could recommend them for sure?

Thanks

You really do abuse your swords if you managed to do that. I see nothing wrong in a bit of abuse with a sword which is built for that like Darksword is, but not because Darksword is stronger than an Albion but because it's relatively cheap and you are not ruining a sword with a lot of research and wish for history being recreated behind it. But level of abuse that breaks or bends best performing production swords is maybe too much. Using cheaper beater sword for some heavier cutting is ok if you don't wish to play chances with your precious high end swords but I think you are asking too much of a sword and maybe you would be more satisfied with a mace, axe or maybe a pole arm.

Forum Index > Off-topic Talk > Most abusable sword?
Page 1 of 2 Reply to topic
Go to page 1, 2  Next All times are GMT - 8 Hours

View previous topic :: View next topic
Jump to: