Info Favorites Register Log in
myArmoury.com Discussion Forums

Forum index Memberlist Usergroups Spotlight Topics Search
Forum Index > Off-topic Talk > battlemerchant.com good buys or not? Reply to topic
This is a standard topic  
Etienne Hamel

PostPosted: Thu 30 Jul, 2009 8:01 am    Post subject: battlemerchant.com good buys or not?         Reply with quote

hi i woulds like to know if the weapons on this site are good buys : thats the one i want http://www.battlemerchant.com/Axes-Morningsta...d::87.html
is there someone in this site who have one and could give a review too?
Jean Thibodeau

Reading list: 1 book

Spotlight topics: 5

PostPosted: Thu 30 Jul, 2009 8:55 am    Post subject: Re: battlemerchant.com good buys or not?         Reply with quote

Etienne Hamel wrote:
hi i woulds like to know if the weapons on this site are good buys : thats the one i want http://www.battlemerchant.com/Axes-Morningsta...d::87.html
is there someone in this site who have one and could give a review too?

Don't know them personally but they seem to be in Germany so that even if their price for this axe is a good one compared to a North American vendor ordering it and having it shipped from Germany would be costly, as well there is no free trade agreement between Canada and Germany as there is with Canada and the U.S.A, so that you would have to pay our Federal GST and provincial PST ( our sales taxes for those reading this who aren't Canadians ) and you also have actual Customs duties added in all probability ! Add the shipping from Europe and the math isn't very favourable I think in your case.

Obviously Europeans who know of this vendor may have an opinion about their prices and customer service and find ordering from them better than from a North American ( U.S.A. ) vendor.

Oh, this may be the same axe from Kult of Athena: http://www.kultofathena.com/product~item~PC10...ed+Axe.htm

Or this Canadian site might have it:
https://www.reliks.com/

Yup they do have it: http://www.reliks.com/merchant.ihtml?pid=902

You can easily give up your freedom. You have to fight hard to get it back!
Etienne Hamel

PostPosted: Thu 30 Jul, 2009 9:34 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

and how about the A&A nordland axe? is it good enough for practice?
Jean Thibodeau

PostPosted: Thu 30 Jul, 2009 10:03 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Etienne Hamel wrote:

It depends what you mean by " practice " ! ? Throwing, chopping wood or martial arts moves ?

I have a Nordland axe and I like it but I haven't used it for any throwing or used it as a working tool: So I can't comments on how it holds up to being used but in general I would think it would be good as A & A has a good reputation.

The standard model is cast steel and I don't think it is heat treated but the steel is still functional as period axes and most polearms where not very hard in general. ( Premium weapons and tools probably did have hardened edges at least ).

My Nordland is modified from the standard model in having a harder steel edge hammer welded to the softer body and heat treated. ( Craig did this for me as I requested at a higher cost than the standard model: Not sure he would make many more this way as he wasn't 100% satisfied as the joint between the main body and the harder edge shows some minor aesthetic flaws that bothered him but that don't bother me. Wink He might reluctant to make more if he is not convinced that he can do a perfect job ? Also, the Nordland is/was intended as an inexpensive axe that would give A & A something to offer for those with a small budget at medieval fairs i.e. have something very affordable on their table. Adding a harder edge was something Craig did for me as a favour and it might not be cost effective and still keep the Nordland affordable ? ).

That was the long answer ! The short answer is that I think the Nordland is at least as good and probably better than the Hanwei.

Etienne Hamel

PostPosted: Thu 30 Jul, 2009 10:12 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

And your point of view about 1 on 1 practice? is it good enough or should i go with something else? for 95 canadian dollars i can have a hand forged axehead from darksword armory i just hope it would be as tough as the swords... i would just need the measurements for the head and the haft that would be suitable for both single handed and two handed handling (planning to make a shield for it but if you lose your shield you must be capable of using it with two hands to inflict more damage ) Big Grin
Jean Thibodeau

PostPosted: Thu 30 Jul, 2009 10:34 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Etienne Hamel wrote:
And your point of view about 1 on 1 practice? is it good enough or should i go with something else? for 95 canadian dollars i can have a hand forged axehead from darksword armory i just hope it would be as tough as the swords... i would just need the measurements for the head and the haft that would be suitable for both single handed and two handed handling (planning to make a shield for it but if you lose your shield you must be capable of using it with two hands to inflict more damage ) Big Grin

Well, I wouldn't do any one on one sparring with any real axe, even a very dull one ! Wooden axe wasters in training or sparring with a partner and use the real axe only in " careful " solo practice.

Well, if you lose your shield using the axe two handed should always be an option even with a small handled axe at least in transitions or parries if not exclusively as one handed use would have more reach if the handle is short.

Axe fighting with a one handed axe with or without a shield is something I have not researched and I am not sure how much there is out there in historical documents or fight books ? General principles that would apply to sword and shield or 1:33 sword and buckler might apply, and in general all the fighting arts have things in common: Someone skilled with a longsword can use some of the same skills using a pole arm or an axe which can be seen as a more or less short pole arm.

Also, dagger fighting or messer fighting etc ...... would also be sources of inspiration.

Mike Arledge

Reading list: 8 books

PostPosted: Thu 30 Jul, 2009 11:27 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Etienne Hamel wrote:

Unless you put in a request to have them put a hardened edge on it, mine has proved a bit soft and when I have been less than careful with it doing yardwork, has taken significant edge damage against a few nails... a bit dissappointing about that, but easy to remedy with a file/sharpening tool

Mike J Arledge

The Dude Abides

Forum Index > Off-topic Talk > battlemerchant.com good buys or not?
Page 1 of 1 Reply to topic