Info Favorites Register Log in
myArmoury.com Discussion Forums

Forum index Memberlist Usergroups Spotlight Topics Search
Forum Index > Off-topic Talk > Break-Free for Sword cleaning/oiling... Reply to topic
This is a standard topic  
Chris Artman

Spotlight topics: 1

PostPosted: Sat 25 Jul, 2009 1:20 pm    Post subject: Break-Free for Sword cleaning/oiling...         Reply with quote

I was wondering what you think of using Break-Free as a sword cleaner/oiling agent? Also, what do you use to apply it to the sword? A rag? How often do you oil wall hangers?
Chad Arnow
myArmoury Team

myArmoury Team

PostPosted: Sat 25 Jul, 2009 2:59 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

I use Breakfree for all my stuff. I've used the spray, but prefer the liquid. I use a cloth (once lint-free) to apply it. For light wipe-downs, I sometimes don't reapply oil to the cloth since it's impregnated with years worth of oil already. Happy

My stuff is somewhat protected from dust as my collection is inside a glass cabinet. I oil after something is handled and then every few months (or whenever I realize I can't remember the last time I oiled everything). Happy

If you're in a dusty environment (like my old apartment), then oil more often as you don't want oily dust eating into your stuff. If you live somewhere humid, you may want to oil more often as well.

Happy

ChadA

http://chadarnow.com/
R D Moore

Reading list: 11 books

Spotlight topics: 1

PostPosted: Sat 25 Jul, 2009 3:07 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

All I've ever used was Breakfree and I haven't had a problem with any kind with rust. I live in a moist environment here in Portland similar to that you live with in San Fransisco and still no rust with Breakfree. I squirt some on a rag and go over all steel parts of my blades. I apply it fairly heavily the first time, wipe it off the next day and then reapply an even coat. I do this at least once a month, sooner when I'm feeling more loving and adoring. A poster in the linked thread found dead bugs attached to his blades (he lives in the Portland area, too), and I occasionaly find an unfortunate insect splayed out like a spent spinner on the blade. You won't be unhappy with it. Here's the thread I found:
http://www.myArmoury.com/talk/viewtopic.php?t...+breakfree

"No man is entitled to the blessings of freedom unless he be vigilant in its preservation" ...Gen. Douglas Macarthur
David Wilson

PostPosted: Sun 26 Jul, 2009 2:09 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

R D Moore wrote:
All I've ever used was Breakfree and I haven't had a problem with any kind with rust. I live in a moist environment here in Portland similar to that you live with in San Fransisco and still no rust with Breakfree. I squirt some on a rag and go over all steel parts of my blades. I apply it fairly heavily the first time, wipe it off the next day and then reapply an even coat. I do this at least once a month, sooner when I'm feeling more loving and adoring. A poster in the linked thread found dead bugs attached to his blades (he lives in the Portland area, too), and I occasionaly find an unfortunate insect splayed out like a spent spinner on the blade. You won't be unhappy with it. Here's the thread I found:
http://www.myArmoury.com/talk/viewtopic.php?t...+breakfree

Yup, that's me (I'm in the Portland area too!). I don't necessarily think bugs are attracted to the Breakfree, more likely they just landed on the exposed blades by chance, got stuck or overwhelmed by the goo, and there you go.

Anyway, yeah -- Breakfree is good stuff.

David K. Wilson, Jr.
Laird of Glencoe

Now available on Amazon: Franklin Posner's "Suburban Vampire: A Tale of the Human Condition -- With Vampires" https://www.amazon.com/dp/B072N7Y591
JE Sarge
Industry Professional

PostPosted: Mon 27 Jul, 2009 4:31 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

I use Breakfree (CLP) on my firearms, swords, and armor. I've been doing such with no ill-effects for years now, so I always recommend it to anyone looking for a good lubricant.
J.E. Sarge
Crusader Monk Sword Scabbards and Customizations
www.crusadermonk.com

"But lack of documentation, especially for such early times, is not to be considered as evidence of non-existance." - Ewart Oakeshott
Patrick Kelly

Reading list: 42 books

Spotlight topics: 2

PostPosted: Tue 28 Jul, 2009 5:05 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

I've used Breakfree for years with no ill effects to firearms or edged weapons. It will work adequately as will any light to medium weight oil, as it isn't rocket science.

About a year ago I went to the darkside and finally started using wax instead of oil. I've been using Flitz Gun/Stock Wax (different than Flitz polish) and have been very happy with the results. It's a similar product when compared to Renaissance Wax, but a bit cheaper and more commonly found in gun shops and sporting goods stores.
Bryce Felperin

PostPosted: Tue 28 Jul, 2009 5:17 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

I also use Renaissance Wax for my swords when storing them or at Ren faires. If I use oils it gets on the clothes and makes a bad mess and big dry clean bill. I find that a good application of Ren Wax keeps them good for a weekend from fingerprints and rust. Another application after the faires keeps good for storage in my safe.

If I cut with them though, I use Break-Free since this gets the water off and preserves the blades from cutting mats. We usually use a damp cloth to clean after a cut and an oil rag with Break-Free after that to get the water out and preserve the blade. Works fine for that.

Also Break-Free works well at removing tree sap, which you get sometimes where I live. ;-)
Larry Lim

Reading list: 16 books

PostPosted: Thu 30 Jul, 2009 6:21 am    Post subject: 3-in-1 vs Break Free?         Reply with quote

How does 3-in-1 oil compared against Break Free CLP.. anyone? I'm currently 3-in-1 oil user, but as my stock is depleting soon, I may want to consider other viable alternatives.. like Break Free CLP, mineral oil... etc Big Grin

Anyone has experience on using both these products? Pls share. Thanks.

Forum Index > Off-topic Talk > Break-Free for Sword cleaning/oiling...
Page 1 of 1 Reply to topic