Info Favorites Register Log in
myArmoury.com Discussion Forums

Forum index Memberlist Usergroups Spotlight Topics Search
Forum Index > Off-topic Talk > Your squire is? Reply to topic
This is a standard topic  
Christopher VaughnStrever

Reading list: 1 book

PostPosted: Mon 27 Jul, 2009 12:44 pm    Post subject: Your squire is?         Reply with quote

I was just considering the thought of a Knights squire and more than often that would be more than one squire. I was trying to get a clearer understanding of the squire. Are they paid by the knight? Or rather more so, in training for knighthood?

For myself, my mother is more willing to help me suit up in my Armour. Though I hate to bother her and my wife never cares about my armour in any way and much less when it comes to taking the time to put it on. So what i am beginning to do is suit myself up. The harderest part is the Gorget. Though with a mirror I can get by quite decently. Plus, since my maile has turned from a shirt of maile to a sleeved voiders attached to my Arming jacket this step in the suit up has become incredibly easier than priveously. I have my breast and back plate and arms being made atm and I am hoping I can suit this part up myself as well.

For myself I oil my armour at the least every 5 weeks and I try to do it more often. If I wear the armour I oil after every use.

So my main question to all is: Who is your squire or squires, and how often do you oil your armour or do you have your squire help you oil?

Experience and learning from such defines maturity, not a number of age
Ed Toton

Spotlight topics: 1

PostPosted: Mon 27 Jul, 2009 2:03 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

I think historically, "squire" was more of a job than a "knight in training", however these were not mutually exclusive and frequently did go hand-in-hand. The squires would be employed by the knight to tend to his horses and equipment, suit him up, and be support staff both on and off the field.

As to the latter question, I sure wish I had squires. I do very little maintenance on my armor, and it shows it. I'm slightly more picky about the condition of my swords and weapons, however they too tend to accumulate some minor rust spots or discoloration. I just try not to let it get out of hand. I clean and re-oil my swords probably once every year or two if they stay on display, and usually soon after any sort of use (test-cutting, for instance). Since they don't stay in absolute pristine condition, this could probably be done more frequently.

-Ed T. Toton III
ed.toton.org | ModernChivalry.org
My armor photos on facebook
A.A. Boskaljon

PostPosted: Mon 27 Jul, 2009 2:33 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

There is one guy who helps me a lot. He loves playing the squire roll so that's great for me. But I don't let him oil my armour or weapons. We still live in modern times and I don't pay him. So I have to do the dirty job myself. It won't even feel good for me if I see him doing it while I'm drinking a beer Wink And I oil my armour after every time I used it.

Besides that, 'my' squire does a great job! Did my first 15th c. tournament and he was always there when I needed some help. When I reached out my hand he gave me my sword imediately and when I was done with fighting he was there again to take my gauntlets, weapon and my helmet. Seriously, someone who can help you like that is worth a lot! So, Loek, thanks again!
Jim Mearkle

Reading list: 3 books

PostPosted: Mon 27 Jul, 2009 5:16 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Once upon a time, a group of knights was boasting about the quality of their squires. Sir Rex, who's heraldic device was a stallion, had six squires. Sir Geoffrey, who bore a lion on his crest, had eight. They decided the only way to tell who had better squires was to hold a tourney. Sir Inman, whose symbol was the beast of the Nile, had but one, but he decided to participate in the grand tournament of squires anyway.

After much training and preparation, the day of the tourney arrived. The parings were made, and with great pomp and ceremony, the tourney commenced. A great many feats of valor and acts of chivalry were witnessed by the assembled crowd. But at the end of the day, two squires remained standing. Sir Rex's senior squire faced off with Sir Inman's lone squire. The knight marshal yelled "Allez!" and the two squires fell to. After many cuts, counters, thrusts and parries, the two combatants simultaneously struck telling blows. The tourney had no winner.

And ever since, it was well known that the Squire of the Hippopotamus was equal to the squires of the other two sides.

Credit (or blame) go to Seamus and Grim of the Barony of Concordia of the Snows.

Jim

Forum Index > Off-topic Talk > Your squire is?
Page 1 of 1 Reply to topic