Info Favorites Register Log in
myArmoury.com Discussion Forums

Forum index Memberlist Usergroups Spotlight Topics Search
Forum Index > Off-topic Talk > Sword Injuries? Reply to topic
This is a standard topic Go to page 1, 2  Next 
Nicholas Rettig

PostPosted: Tue 14 Jul, 2009 6:53 pm    Post subject: Sword Injuries?         Reply with quote

What's the worst injury you've ever sustained while playing with swords ( you shouldn't play with them but that's the best word I could think of). I've got a few knicks and cuts, but the only one worth mentioning is a nice gash on my left hand that left me with a great view of my proximal phalanx. I'm just wondering if anyone else has hurt themselves or if I'm the only one here dumb enough to swing a sword into themselves.
Christopher VaughnStrever

Reading list: 1 book

PostPosted: Tue 14 Jul, 2009 7:14 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

I cannot remember the link, though I could have believed it was a thread on here of how a guy was cutting plastic bottles with a sword and some how he managed to slice the back of his leg (i am not sure if it was the calf or thigh) a huge huge from what I remember.

However I have yet to sustain an injury for the reason that I decided to assemble an entire suit of armour before I buy a sword for the preventitive reason of the subject of the thread.

Experience and learning from such defines maturity, not a number of age
Doug Gardner

Spotlight topics: 1

PostPosted: Tue 14 Jul, 2009 7:23 pm    Post subject: Injuries & Safety         Reply with quote

There is a spotlight topic on it:

http://www.myArmoury.com/talk/viewtopic.php?t=4496

In my "not very unbiased" opinion, this is one of the most important topics in the hobby, in just the same way that gun safety is one of the most important considerations for hunting and shooting.

Doug Gardner
Wolfgang R.

PostPosted: Tue 14 Jul, 2009 7:50 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

once accidentaly delt a horribly (too) strong schrankhut to the side of the knee, full plate - nevertheless, it took the poor guy months to recover. Haven't had anything myself besides two knock outs if that counts...

Cheers, W.
Colt Reeves

PostPosted: Tue 14 Jul, 2009 9:15 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

I've only had my swords for a few months, but I did manage to get a nick at one point.

I store my swords on top of a dresser in my room. For a while there I also had a small vase with bamboo on it too, until one of my aunt's cats got up there and dumped it over the swords. I was annoyed (Seems like a lot of sword related injuries come about when one is upset in some way...) and promptly yanked the suckers out of their scabbards and lay them out on top of each other to see if they needed to be dried. They didn't, so I went to put them away again.

How did I pick the first one up? By the blade, of course... Which resulted in the brushing of one knuckle against the other sword blade. Nice clean cut, no pain.

Now, I've had worse paper cuts, but it was from a sword, so I can say I have sliced myself with a sword now. Wink
Kevin S

PostPosted: Tue 14 Jul, 2009 9:45 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Christopher VaughnStrever wrote:
I cannot remember the link, though I could have believed it was a thread on here of how a guy was cutting plastic bottles with a sword and some how he managed to slice the back of his leg (i am not sure if it was the calf or thigh) a huge huge from what I remember.

However I have yet to sustain an injury for the reason that I decided to assemble an entire suit of armour before I buy a sword for the preventitive reason of the subject of the thread.

I think you mean this topic on Sword Buyer's Guide: http://sbgswordforum.proboards.com/index.cgi?...hread=5150
Brian Hook

PostPosted: Tue 14 Jul, 2009 11:23 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Wolfgang R. wrote:
once accidentaly delt a horribly (too) strong schrankhut to the side of the knee, full plate - nevertheless, it took the poor guy months to recover. Haven't had anything myself besides two knock outs if that counts...

Cheers, W.

Wolfgang,
I'm kind of curious how you stuck someone's knee with a guard, rather then a strike.
Wolfgang R.

PostPosted: Wed 15 Jul, 2009 12:56 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Brian Hook wrote:
Wolfgang R. wrote:

Cheers, W.

Wolfgang,
I'm kind of curious how you stuck someone's knee with a guard, rather then a strike.

dude struck out, flinched and there you had it. unfortunately my explanation was something ambiguous: it's wasn't exactly a schrankhut sensu stricto more a tutta porta di ferro. Maybe it was what MAYER means when he speaks of the nebenhut, I don't know. however in the jargon we use around here we don't really make a difference, it's just schrankhut with the ort left or right.

Cheers, W.
M. Eversberg II

Reading list: 3 books

PostPosted: Wed 15 Jul, 2009 5:16 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

A small scratch between the base of my thumb and forefinger. Also a bruise from dropping a blunt on my foot (the cross got me). I tend to try and be careful Razz

M.

This space for rent or lease.
View user's profile Send private message AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger ICQ Number
Bryce Felperin

PostPosted: Wed 15 Jul, 2009 10:08 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

That was me and I was cutting tatami mats when it slipped out of my hand when I pulled it out of a mat it got stuck in (bad form and bad cut).

The sword (a very large katana) dropped from my hands, spun in the air, and delivered a slicing cut to my lower leg an inch above my ankle before it hit the ground. I should just jumped back when it slipped, but it wasn't mine and I was trying to catch it before it dropped (really dump idea). The cut was about two inches long and 3/4 to an inch deep. Luckily for me it missed my motor nerves, any major blood vessels (in fact it was so clean it didn't bleed for 15 minutes) and it hit no tendons.

Lucky for me also was the fact that one of the people test cutting was a doctor who had an emergency medical kit with everything she needed on hand already (we were prepared it seems). The docs at the VA stitched up two rows of stitches, but not until after I had waited two hours to get attention (they had a heart attack in the next bed to deal with). Also the idiot doctor in the emergency room made several mistakes like cauterizing the wound without giving me anesthetic (yes it hurts) and bungling the stitch removal a few weeks later (they left a stitch or two in me when they removed the others, later removed).

I also developed a neuroma that led to another local anesthetic operation a few months later. So now I have a nice scar, a numb foot, and a valuable lesson learned (don't try to catch a sword you drop, jump away). All in all it could of been a whole hell of a lot worse, so I'm happy with the final result and with the fact that I can still walk. ;-)

Definitely a learning experience, and I still get rubbed by friends about it to this day. ;-)
Dan P

PostPosted: Wed 15 Jul, 2009 10:30 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

My biggest cut has been nicking my right leg with an edge. Strangely enough, even though my skin was cleanly cut and bleeding a bit, the pants I was wearing were NOT cut. That's not nearly as funny as the time I pulled a double edged blade back into a guard a bit faster than I really meant to and barely tapped the tip of my nose with the false edge, enough to give a little scratch.

So no real sword injuries.
Nathan M Wuorio

Reading list: 3 books

PostPosted: Wed 15 Jul, 2009 11:33 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

The worst that I have ever had was when I was sharpening my sabre and forgot the gloves. My thumb brushed the blade and I got a nice clean cut about half an inch long on it. Lucky for me, the cut wasn't deep, just stingy. Now I ALWAYS wear gloves, and have a band-aid handy.
Nathan.
Christopher VaughnStrever

PostPosted: Wed 15 Jul, 2009 4:33 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

that sounds like a bad deal bryce, however the story I was trying to recall was that of which kevin related. That is one nasty looking cut. Wow bryce>< close one for more possible damage.

I am looking into the mastro line, most likely this one here... http://www.albion-swords.com/swords/albion/ma...ce-I33.htm

Yes even though I have my arms and breast and back plate on order to be made, along with full voiders to cover from ankle to neck, I will still be purchasing a blunted sword. I wont be using the sword to kill or incur life-taking instances, so all in all I'll stay as safe as I can.

Experience and learning from such defines maturity, not a number of age
Jeff A. Arbogast

PostPosted: Wed 15 Jul, 2009 5:09 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

My worst injury was when I fell asleep on the couch with my A&A Henry V sword propped against my leg. I must have had a violent dream because I kicked out with my bare left foot and nearly cut my 4th toe in half. Lost my toenail as it was. I also knocked over my beer and had spilled beer and blood all over the place. I didn't know what to go after first, being groggy, but finally had the sense to stop the bleeding and then proceed from there. I limped for over a month.
A man's nose is his castle-and his finger is a mighty sword that he may wield UNHINDERED!
Bryce Felperin

PostPosted: Wed 15 Jul, 2009 5:39 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

that sounds like a bad deal bryce, however the story I was trying to recall was that of which kevin related. That is one nasty looking cut. Wow bryce>< close one for more possible damage.

I am looking into the mastro line, most likely this one here... http://www.albion-swords.com/swords/albion/ma...ce-I33.htm

Yes even though I have my arms and breast and back plate on order to be made, along with full voiders to cover from ankle to neck, I will still be purchasing a blunted sword. I wont be using the sword to kill or incur life-taking instances, so all in all I'll stay as safe as I can.

Yes I noticed that after I had seen the thread again after I hit submit. My apologies about that and apologies to the others whose story you were mentioning. My bad. ;-)
Jean Thibodeau

Spotlight topics: 5

PostPosted: Wed 15 Jul, 2009 6:44 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Jeff A. Arbogast wrote:
My worst injury was when I fell asleep on the couch with my A&A Henry V sword propped against my leg. I must have had a violent dream because I kicked out with my bare left foot and nearly cut my 4th toe in half. Lost my toenail as it was. I also knocked over my beer and had spilled beer and blood all over the place. I didn't know what to go after first, being groggy, but finally had the sense to stop the bleeding and then proceed from there. I limped for over a month.

Yup that why I like having a scabbard for all my sleeping with my sword(s) naps ! ( Joking but true: Some people sleep with a teddy bear I like sleeping with swords. Wink Razz Eek! Big Grin Cool ).

Oh, but none have bitten me while asleep ! Eek!

You can easily give up your freedom. You have to fight hard to get it back!
R D Moore

Reading list: 11 books

PostPosted: Wed 15 Jul, 2009 7:17 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

I leaned a sword against my desk while sharpening it, edge on to me, to get a finer stone. I dropped the rag and when I reached down to pick it up I sliced into my index finger and middle finger ahead of the center knuckle. I folded the flaps back over, and bound the wounds firmly. This was over two years ago and my index finger is still numb ahead of the cut. That was the last time I became complacent around sharp blades and I haven't been seriously cut since. Aaron Schnatterly had an experience with his Regent I once read about, perhaps he'll chime in to retell it.

Morale of the story: Don't put your blades in a position where they have to hurt you because they will.

"No man is entitled to the blessings of freedom unless he be vigilant in its preservation" ...Gen. Douglas Macarthur
Morgan Butler

PostPosted: Mon 31 Aug, 2009 3:43 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

About 20 years ago I brilliantly drove the point of a hollow ground stage blade right thru my shoe and into the top of my foot. I cleaned it out in the the tub and forgot about it. Of course in about 3 hours it started to throb really bad. I went the to ER and had a lot of fun as they jammed a water-pick into the puncture wound and flushed it out. It was really an exhilerating experience. Eek!
inkothemgard!
Gabriel Lebec
myArmoury Team

myArmoury Team

Reading list: 32 books

PostPosted: Mon 31 Aug, 2009 4:59 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

A cut across the inside middle of my index finger.

I was taking tape off of a shirasaya handle and it was being stubborn. It was late and I was tired, so naturally I decided more force was in order. Blush I accidentally drew the blade out an inch, my left hand reflexively grabbed, and I was cut. Lesson learned: more force is never in order. Thankfully I didn't sever the tendon, although it remains a little stiff to this day.

"The most beautiful experience we can have is the mysterious. It is the fundamental emotion that stands at the cradle of true art and true science." - Albert Einstein
________
Joe Maccarrone

PostPosted: Mon 31 Aug, 2009 9:34 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

A Gus Trim XIIa slipped while I was oiling it, and the tip sank about an inch deep into the meat of my thigh. That ached for a while...

Forum Index > Off-topic Talk > Sword Injuries?
Page 1 of 2 Reply to topic
Go to page 1, 2  Next All times are GMT - 8 Hours

View previous topic :: View next topic
Jump to: