Info Favorites Register Log in
myArmoury.com Discussion Forums

Forum index Memberlist Usergroups Spotlight Topics Search
Forum Index > Off-topic Talk > summer boresdomDIY Project Reply to topic
This is a standard topic  
Naythan Goron

PostPosted: Sat 04 Jul, 2009 4:46 pm    Post subject: summer boresdom         Reply with quote

hey guys
summers here and what should I do since i cant find a job? why put my forge back to good use making a sword!
i started 2 weeks ago and have not stopped on it since i piked up my hammer to start swinging away (Sunday being the only exception to buy more propane XD )
here's a random pic of the outside of my forge..small but toasty all year round

http://www.flickr.com/photos/40133770@N04/3688728958/

So it all started out with a relay big chunk of round bar i found on top of my neighbors fence, i mean big! 4 feet long and about 1.5" thick. i brought it to a big workshop that I'm borrowing a little bit of space in from a friend. I cut about 1.5 feet off of it hoping that i have enough for whatever my hammer makes it into (aiming for an Albion "Yeoman" )

http://www.flickr.com/photos/40133770@N04/3688704896/

So after about 3days and 2 tanks of propane i get a rough bar shape it looked like i might have enough for the sword i want but i never count my chickens before they hatch.

http://www.flickr.com/photos/40133770@N04/3688691110/

Ok day 8 now since i have started and i have managed to get it into a rough bar shape, 3 feet long and about 3/8" wide i got it right about where i want it to now....all i have to do is hope that i wont accidentally break it by cooling it down to rapidly when it too hot (ya.. ive broke a good number like that Sad ) sorry i couldn't find my camera for this shot

End of day 11 (3 days ago, happy Canada day to me) and the blade is extremely roughed, i cant decide if i want to do something more Viking-ish or stick with my original plan.....but i got a feeling this wont last long

http://www.flickr.com/photos/40133770@N04/3687929193/

Day 13 comes and goes and with it y last tank of propane, but have no fear everything is done..almost i hammered out a guard with the last of the remaining bar that i forged and even got a slight temper on the blade (until i can find a professional heat treater in my area i'll refrain from doing too much) i cut off another part of the big rod for the pommel and drilled a hole though it to accompany the tang.... lots of grinding and a slight bit of welding later... its done...almost..... i found out that the balance is a little off (6" up the blade XD ) so i sat on it and thought during dinner and a solution came upon me wire! i used 14ga wire to wrap around the tang once and it cut the POB in half! so cover this in leaver atach it with some glue leave it outside and then i went to bed.

http://www.flickr.com/photos/40133770@N04/3688732218/

day 14
time to find a photo sharing site to share the photos with the guys on myArmoury.com . make no mistake the sword is not finished yet.. i still have some (lots) of polishing to do and i still have to make a scabbard, and fix a small little mistake on the hilt, but all in all not bad for 14 days of work so far, some minor piting on the blade but i like minor imperfections like that.. it reminds me that it was hand made and not made by a machine, with found metal not "new" and also it proves how stupid i was to leave the metal on top of my anvil all 14 days XD.

day 14.5
well i guess my worry's about the temper weer wrong, it didn't break but instead a friend of mine decided that his seats in his car weren't comfortable enough... so what dose he do? sees my sword on the work bench and rams it though the drivers seat and into the back seat of his car, then though the drivers seat and into the passengers seat... as i come out of the bathroom hes taking pics with his phone.. as soon as i can i'll get them and add them to the post, (don't worry guys it was a parts car)

hears the stats (sorry im not too good at this)
total length -34"
blade length - 26"
hilt length - 8"
tempered to - RC?? (yea if it tempered at all its probably a very poor temper)
POB - 3" from cross guard
pommel hurtness rating? - ya i would not want to get hit with the pommel 5 stars rating .....as in those are how many stars you will probably see Big Grin
sharpness - not sharp just the way i like it, after all when i find a decent heat treater I'll file off what edge there is and send it in,
project time - 14 days a new personal record.
fun rating - 2 swords up, this was a fun sword to forge and much less stressful then making viking swords.
difficulty rating- hard, had to over heat the metal just to get it to bend how i wanted it too.
work left to do- make a scabbard and polish it until i'm satisfied.
estimated time of completion - probably in another 2 weeks

thanks for reading
all comments welcome, the good, the dad, and the ugly.
Chears

times come and go but the blacksmith's spirit will live on.
Adam S.

PostPosted: Sun 05 Jul, 2009 10:09 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Thanks for sharing, Naythan.

Looks like you had fun with it. Do you have any idea what kind of steel it is?
Naythan Goron

PostPosted: Sun 05 Jul, 2009 10:32 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Adam S. wrote:
Thanks for sharing, Naythan.

Looks like you had fun with it. Do you have any idea what kind of steel it is?

I did a spark test and it looked to be tool steel, although I never would have guessed tool steel to be harder to temper then my box hardened viking sword which is made from low carbon and high carbon steel.

Jesse Goron

PostPosted: Mon 10 Aug, 2009 12:51 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

That's one deadly looking weapon. Well, at least by Canadian standards. I'm impressed that it only took you 14 days to make a sword out of a rusty poll.
M. Eversberg II

Reading list: 3 books

Spotlight topics: 1

PostPosted: Mon 10 Aug, 2009 1:20 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Mighty nifty! I ought to try that sometime. Though, you went through a lot of propane -- how much does that stuff cost per tank in Canada?

M.

This space for rent or lease.
View user's profile Send private message AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger ICQ Number
Martin Erben

PostPosted: Thu 13 Aug, 2009 4:15 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

The swords looks pretty good for being made with non-professional methods!
How did you make the fuller?
Naythan Goron

PostPosted: Mon 17 Aug, 2009 7:45 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

propane costs about $15 cand to refill and i gone though about 3 tanks.. not realy cheap for someone on my income but still worth it.

the fuller was made by both hammering it out of the steel with a hardy and a ball pine hammer and then finishing it up by grinding it in and lots and lost of work with emery cloth to clean it up

Eric G.

Reading list: 5 books

PostPosted: Mon 21 Mar, 2011 4:58 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

That is a very cool looking sword, especially considering how it started off...

... feeling jealous of your skills.

Eric Gregersen
www.EricGregersen.com
Knowledge applied is power.

Forum Index > Off-topic Talk > summer boresdomDIY Project
Page 1 of 1 Reply to topic