Info Favorites Register Log in
myArmoury.com Discussion Forums

Forum index Memberlist Usergroups Spotlight Topics Search
Forum Index > Historical Arms Talk > Questions about a spear replica Reply to topic
This is a standard topic  
Antal László

Reading list: 1 book

PostPosted: Sat 04 Jul, 2009 3:48 am    Post subject: Questions about a spear replica         Reply with quote

Hello,

http://www.theknightshop.co.uk/catalog/viking...3d229a45d2

Please check the above link,

Does anyone know who makes this spear? And also anything about the quality? The site states that it is fully functional, but we all heard this before.

I think I will get one anyway, because I like it. Were these kind of spears used in the second half of the 11th century? And what should be the approximate length of the shaft?

Thanks for your time
Maurizio D'Angelo

Reading list: 3 books

PostPosted: Sat 04 Jul, 2009 4:44 am    Post subject: Re: Questions about a spear replica         Reply with quote

Antal László wrote:
Hello,

Does anyone know who makes this spear? And also anything about the quality? The site states that it is fully functional, but we all heard this before.
I think I will get one anyway, because I like it. Were these kind of spears used in the second half of the 11th century? And what should be the approximate length of the shaft?

Thanks for your time

It is far from history. These spear were used between 9 and 11 century.
The design is different. They're short of the originals. The tube is superimposed.
The lugs welded with obvious traces. No. Worried
Maurizio

Last edited by Maurizio D'Angelo on Sat 04 Jul, 2009 8:03 pm; edited 1 time in total
Antal László

PostPosted: Sat 04 Jul, 2009 5:34 am    Post subject: Re: Questions about a spear replica         Reply with quote

Maurizio D'Angelo wrote:

The lugs welded with obvious traces.
Maurizio

That's what I was afraid of, that the welding hasn't been ground off. The photo on the website is quite poor quality so I wasn't sure, if those were welds what I can see.

Maurizio, you say that it isn't long enough to be historically acurate. So what is the historical length of this type? I guess there was a variety in lengths, so I would like to get an approximate or a min-max length.

Also please check these too:

http://www.theknightshop.co.uk/catalog/viking...30eb46568f
http://www.theknightshop.co.uk/catalog/viking...30eb46568f

What do you think about these?

I want a spear, what would be suitable for a late vikingish/ normanish kit.
Dan Dickinson
Industry Professional

PostPosted: Sat 04 Jul, 2009 6:52 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Antal, those seem to be the antiqued versions of the viking spearheads made by Paul Chen.
I hope this helps,
Dan
Elling Polden

Spotlight topics: 1

PostPosted: Sat 04 Jul, 2009 9:25 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Actually, they are DE-antiqued. The original Paul Chen viking spearheads have a brown, "corroded" surface, to make them look like the finds.
I've got one; they LOOK good from a distance, up close the modern manefacture becomes evident.

As for the period, lugged spears where in use all the way until the 17th century. However, the decorated socket is quite distinctly "viking" period.
Of the three, the lugged spear is late 800s, early 900, and the feather-spear (the long thin one) is late 900, early 1000, though in this case the replica is defintiely to short. These spearheads where sometimes as long as 60 cm. (2ft)

As for sice, most of the spear types came in a variety of sices. Some where huge, others smaller. Medevial lugged spears could have quite small tips. Generally, medevial spearheads are smaller than their earlier counterparts. With some exceptions of course. Hewing spear type weapons where in use as well.

All the hanweii/paul Chen viking spearheads have quite distinct decorated sockets. However, this one is nice and generic, and would fit in on any battlefield.
http://www.theknightshop.co.uk/catalog/viking...3d229a45d2

Yours trulys translation of Pettersens spear summar. Only 90 years out of date, but should give a rough idea.
http://forum.blankvaapen.org/attachment.php?a...1210808520

"this [fight] looks curious, almost like a game. See, they are looking around them before they fall, to find a dry spot to fall on, or they are falling on their shields. Can you see blood on their cloths and weapons? No. This must be trickery."
-Reidar Sendeman, from King Sverre's Saga, 1201
Maurizio D'Angelo

Reading list: 3 books

PostPosted: Sat 04 Jul, 2009 7:26 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Dear Antal,
Here some photos. I hope this aids your choice.
A correction: I speak little German, just at school, I translated (neunten Jahrhundert.) Confused (neunhundert Jahren.) Nine hundred years instead of 9 century.
Translations just 8-10 century and not 9-11.
I apologize for the error.

Attachment: 69.56 KB
05072009082.jpg
historical sequence

Attachment: 91.51 KB
lancia.jpg
9-10 century.
known measures: width 43 mm, diameter 27 mm, width hauls 85 mm, weight

Attachment: 47.51 KB
copia.jpg
8-9 century.
Known measures: length total blade: 498 mm, width 42 mm, diameter from 28 to 30. diameter wood pole 26, weight
520 grams. Length unknown wood pole.

Antal László

PostPosted: Sun 05 Jul, 2009 4:29 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Thank you for your help. All your replies are really usefull.

I know now that I don't want to buy the spear linked to in my original post Confused

Elling, thanks for posting the spear summar, it brought some light into the darkness.
On the spear what you suggested I don't like the section where the socket meets the blade. It looks too modern, maybe this doesn't make much sense, but that's how I feel about it.
I kinda like the paul chen throwing spear, it looks good, and doesn't have any ugly welds, so I think I'll get one of those, however later on, I am sure, I will buy or make Big Grin a more plain and generic spear.
Regards

Forum Index > Historical Arms Talk > Questions about a spear replica
Page 1 of 1 Reply to topic