Info Favorites Register Log in
myArmoury.com Discussion Forums

Forum index Memberlist Usergroups Spotlight Topics Search
Forum Index > Off-topic Talk > Shield Types Reply to topic
This is a standard topic  
Mark Bleakley

PostPosted: Thu 02 Jul, 2009 8:16 am    Post subject: Shield Types         Reply with quote

Hello! New to the forum. I thought it might be interesting to discuss different shield types as it relates to advantages/disadvantages. I have fought with a center-grip round, strapped round, heater, kite, teardrop, and a rather large rectangular war shield in the SCA. Obviously the larger shields were used in war scenario's where a random arrow can strike at any moment. When it comes to personal combat in a 1:1 scenario, I still do not preference any particular shield shape to another. The center grip vs. strapped shield could be a second topic to explore. My current theory on round shields, particularly if they have been made so that they are convex, have a tendency to deflect blows at angles that may put the swordarm out of position for a strong second stroke. Thoughts?
Jonathan Blair

Reading list: 2 books

PostPosted: Thu 02 Jul, 2009 10:02 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Bucklers (small round shields anywhere from 6 to 12-inches in diameter) were used along with a single hand sword. The purpose of the buckler was to protect the sword hand from injury, not the whole body. You could also use the buckler to bind your opponent's sword or bash him in the teeth or nose. MS I:33 teaches sword and buckler: very nasty style of fighting that could see use in the back alley or on the battlefield.
"Think not that I am come to send peace on earth: I came not to send peace, but a sword." - The Lord Jesus Christ, from The Gospel According to Saint Matthew, chapter x, verse 34, Authorized Version of 1611

Forum Index > Off-topic Talk > Shield Types
Page 1 of 1 Reply to topic